Saturday 27 July 2019

It's A Faaaake! Not The Art Of Star Trek - Blue Food


 After my Klingon Drag Queen tied for first place in last month's Star Trek Art Challenge, I had some vague thoughts about a food-related theme which I shared with the other winner.
 "Food related sounds very intriguing" s/he said "there are lots of possibilities. Food has been important in all Trek series. Kingon Gagh, Romulan Ale, Tilly making snarky comments at the passive aggressive food slots... there's no shortage of scope."
 "All I can think of now", I replied, "is Tilly muttering 'Shut your food slot' in the manner of Scotty's 'Up your shaft!' to the Excelsior's turbolift in Star Trek III: The Search For Spock.
 "If we do go for the food theme, shall we leave it quite open, such as food from any Star Trek era or race to give it that wide scope you mentioned?"
 "I think keeping it broad would be a good idea, yes. From Aldebaran Whiskey to Zylo Eggs: Food in the Star Trek Universe!
 
"I found this page which could be useful, if people want some idea prompts:
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Foods_and_beverages"

 So, with that in mind: It's dinner time!

This month's Art Challenge we're exploring the food (glorious food!) of the Star Trek Universe. There's a whole galaxy of possibilities on this one, from figuring out what might be on the drinks menu at Quark's, to recreating Will Riker's terrible omlettes!

As long as there is a Star Trek connection of some kind, I'm happy to see where people's creativity takes them.


 And that creativity took me here (as if you hadn't already suspected, what with the last post's Sperm Whale Plastique à la Bleu):

 Below is a screenshot from the infamous blue food scene in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country which directly inspired my efforts (as well as Delilah Smythe's).


 Above are the ingredients for my dish.  Most of them came from the supermarket, but the globe thistle (Echinops) is from Inexcuseable's garden, and the plastic whale is from Count Podgkinson's bath tub!

 
I stayed in the kitchen all day today, slaving over a hot stove to create a meal (not quite) fit for a Klingon Chancellor and his (later, her) retinue.  Here is the prepared blue meal garnished with cornflowers and served with a glass of Bajoran springwine (not Romulan ale as that's too harsh for this exquisite dish).

 And here is the above image - used without my permission! - on the second edition of Delilah's latest book (quite a feat, considering that it's not due to be published for another 274 years...):


::

Previously on It's a Faaaake! Not The Art Of Star Trek:

June 2019 - Boldly Go in Infinite Diversity
May 2019 - (the leaked final scene) X Marks The Spot, and the main attraction: Treasure Map
April 2019 - Oops-A-Daisy!
March 2019 - Disco78
January 2019 - Caught Red Handed
October 2018 - Anomalous T-Shirt
September 2018 - Two Soups
August 2018 - Wild Things (and its prequel: Seeing Double)
July 2018 - Revenge of the Baby-Sat
June 2018 - Making Money
March 2018 - Murder On The Dancefloor
February 2018 - Narwhal in a Spacesuit
December 2017 - Unfinished Business
November 2017 - Let's See Your OC!
October 2017 - Celebrate Good Times, Come On!
July 2017 - Walk Like An Egyptian 
June 2017 - Foreign Relations
May 2017 - Driven to Distraction
February 2017 - Of Prophet's Tears and Verteron Nodes (plus the warm up: The Celestial Temple Cries Golden Tears)
December 2016 - "Did the plan fail, Edward?"
November 2016 - Winter Solstice
October 2016 - Twisted October: Star Trek Art Challenge



  As is now traditional, Senator Vreenak insists upon having the last word:




18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If you're feeling sick, I should think its the inertial dampeners playing up rather than my gourmet cooking! You shouldn't be eating until we've left orbit, anyway...

      Delete
  2. Bravo!!! Where is the blue fondant icing?????
    Actually it does look rather exotic and yummy.
    They were always eating on Voyager - always replicating tasty dishes. And Janeway was always drinking coffee.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the fondant icing wasn't required as Count Podgkinson had an appropriate bath toy, so I didn't have to make a small cetacean out of icing after all. It may still get some use, though...

      If I'd got stuck on Voyager, I'd be using all my replicator rations on food, rather than eat whatever ghastly horror that Neelix had cooked up!

      Delete
  3. I can hardly wait to see what's for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still got half a cauliflower and a bag of physalis left. Although I'm not confident anything good will come of it...

      Delete
  4. I could toy with a physalis, the rest, I'm afraid, would be tipped into my handbag when you weren't looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't blame you, Mitzi. It smelt absolutely ghastly while I was cooking it. The stench of cauliflower and pickled onions boiling away in spirulina-laced water was really off-putting.
      I did try one of the physalis, but even that wasn't very nice. Tart, but relatively tasteless.

      Delete
  5. Man's imagination knows no limits.
    Frankly, these noodles look a bit like maggotbrain after the best-before-date, and this large bluish mushy thing in the leaf looks a bit like the eye of a deep sea creature - but hey, this is just an earthling's view.
    I think the Bajoran springwine is the bluish stuff in the wineglass, so what smooth salvation is in the red glass ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, Mago, because of the stench of the boiling blue stuff, I'd rather eat what you've just described!

      You are correct about the springwine, and salvation lies in water. Sadly, not enough in that red glass to assist in swallowing down this "meal"...

      Delete
  6. Have you been watching Another Life? I think you might like it.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't. Yet. I've seen the trailer and added it to my list, but I need to finish Impulse on YouTube, first (it's primarily about a teenage girl who discovers she can teleport, and has surprised me with how good it is, and how it's handling some sensitive issues).
      Did you binge-watch Another Life, or are you still watching it?

      I think I need to do a TV-related post to remind myself what I've watched, and find out what other people are watching!

      Delete
  7. I am still watching Another Life, I think I'm up to episode 5. I am still interested in watching more, which is saying something because I am terribly fickle.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a positive endorsement to me! I finished Impulse last night, so I can now start something else - i.e. Another Life.
      Although, I have just remembered that I started season 2 of Dark last week (or was it the week before?) and need to continue with that, too.

      Delete
    2. Ms Scarlet, I tried Another Life, I really did, but couldn't get past the beginning of the second episode.
      I thought everyone except for Katie Sackhoff's character (and her family)* were just dreadful. Horrible, horrible people! If I was stuck on a space ship with that lot, I'd want to be incinerated/electrocuted just like the gorgeous, and stunningly cheekboned, Tyler Hoechlin, too.

      I don't remember Katie Sackhoff having such a smug-looking pout on Battlestar Galactica, either...

      * Oh, and the ship's hologram. He's lovely!

      Delete
    3. Indeed, I think the crew is supposed to come across as ghastly in the first half of the series, but then you grow to like some of them - well, the ones that survive! She seems to have a back-up crew in stasis. I enjoyed it.
      With box sets in general, or engaging with a new series, it sometimes doesn't happen. I loved the first series of Westworld, but couldn't get passed the first episode of the second series! I'd forgotten who all the characters were, and how they related to each other. Also, I wanted to love the new Star Trek Discovery series, but couldn't get into it.
      I watched all episodes of ITV's Deep Water over the weekend - it was okay - but Big Little Lies it was not!
      Sx

      Delete
    4. Oh, I remember she said something about more crew in stasis. Perhaps I'll give it another go sometime? Not now, though, as I'm re-watching Smack the Pony on 4oD, and have started Tales of the City on Netflix. I've also got Love, Death + Robots to finish.
      I loved the first series of Westworld, too, but didn't even start the second series as it had been so long since the first, and I didn't want to watch something that miserable. The first series of Discovery was miserable, too, but the second is MUCH better! Plus, it has the supremely foxy Anson Mount as Captain Pike, and Ethan Peck Spock's bum in a very tight fitting spacesuit!

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?