Sunday 14 July 2019

End-of-the-Line Update #1


Cormorant!
 I popped down to the beach yesterday afternoon for a bit of ancient groyne action-
Because The Very Mistress hasn't been pulling her weight lately...
Urrgh... Yuck!  Not that kind of groyne action, as well you know!
Heh heh.
 Anyway, I needed to get away for some Me Time before the Hoards descended upon the DeVice Mansion for tea, and thought I'd take some photos of what the poor, squashed End-of-the-Line looks like now.  A progress update of how the sea is removing the huge chunks of cliff from around the battered groyne, if you will.
 So, here they are:



 It's taken a month for the sea to scoop out enough of the fallen cliff from behind the revetment for me to be able to stand there and take these photos.  The steps have been uncovered, too - Not that there's another side to go down.





 Much of what fell onto the beach from the cliff was sand, so that was easily washed away leaving clay boulders and stones.  The carcasses of the unfortunate shrubs that plummeted to their doom now litter the strandline.


 A little further along the beach is another, less spectacular, cliff fall.  This one's prettier than the big one as it's brought some flowering plants down with it. 


 This groyne has four knobs!



 This is my dune hideaway.  I like to sit up here in the sun after a swim to dry off and warm up.  It's a good spot to relax and watch the bees, butterflies and other wildlife amongst the wildflowers at the foot of the cliff. It's also an ideal vantage point to catch glimpses of mermen and other aquatic demi-gods.



 I shall leave you with this tentacled, alien-looking, optical nightmare!

 Which is nothing more exciting than curled dock (Rumex crispus, possibly the subspecies littoreus)


10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! The curly dock reminds me of Flange!!
    Meanwhile, those steps would make a nice garden feature.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss my home planet.

      Delete
    2. That would have been quite a trip over the Cusp to land in Mitzi's motherland!

      Delete
  2. Close-ups of knobbly docks, copious amounts of debris and groynage - the double-entendres are bringing you closer to Mistress MJ than you think... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ug! You don't think she's insinuating herself into my psyches, do you?!?

      Delete
    2. Too late. It's already happened.

      Delete
  3. Love your little inikshuk! Oh! Yesterday I was down near the Goose Groyne, but did not have a camera.I did think of you, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I balanced those pebbles there about a week or so before this latest trip down to the beach, and I was suprised to see them still there (the top two or three had wobbled off onto the sand, though).

      Goose Groyne? I'm intrigued! Please remember your camera next time.

      Delete
  4. I see you tidied your sidebar, now I am a blogoratus, hey !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a little fiddle the other day. It started with tidying up the labels - I decided that I didn't like "Bloggers" as it was too common, so changed it to something more elite. Then I thought I'd do the same with the sideboard, so the "Flying Monkeys" became "Blogorati" - far more in keeping with your elevated status!

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?