Wednesday 23 November 2022

GPE #9 : IDV's Fruity Goings On

My favourite fuchsia: Blacky
 

I N E X P L I C A B L E   D E V I C E' S

Divided Loyalties


 I didn't spend as much time in - or any money on, I've just realised - my garden this year, mainly because it was either occupied by The Parents or was far too hot!  So, this year's garden photos aren't really any different to last years - although there are one or two exceptions, of course.  In fact, I felt much more excited about my allotment, even though it's more work (despite never looking much like any work has been done on it at all!).  So, because I couldn't decide between them, just like with Mr Tonking's Garden Photos Event tour, mine is also divided into two: my allotment, and some snaps from the Hexenhäusli Device garden. 
 
 First, the allotment through the seasons:
 
April
 
After a bit of a tidy up and some digging

Apple blossom from later in the month

May

On top of the compost bin is a tray of sweetcorn seedlings that will go in the patch to the right

Plum tree on the left, horrid pear tree at centre back, and raspberry canes almost blotting out the loganberry festooned shed

Victoria plums amongst the foxgloves and giant viper's bugloss, with a gladioli on the right

June

The young Bramley apple tree surrounded by foxgloves, giant viper's bugloss, and globe thistles (amongst other things)

Bramley apple tree in the foreground, with raspberry canes on the left, the big plum tree in the centre, and an apple tree on the right

Loganberry harvest on 22nd June

July

Sweetcorn and sunflowers
The fruit cage at the back was full of pointless, sour currants and gooseberries (and some quite nice raspberries), but fortunately, the netting is full of gaping holes so the birds got in and ate them all (except the raspberries - I ate those).  Yay!

September

The horrid pears (top left) weren't horrid in the end - they were big, quite juicy, and had a delicate flavour (unlike last year's inedible, scabby, dry, wizened little things).  And, as always, far too many apples!

☙❧
 
Now on to the gardens at Hexenhäusli Device:
 
February: Mostly bulbs
April

Sweet scented daffs, snake's head fritillaries (Fritillaria meleagris), and wild violets brightened the rather sparse April garden (more can be seen here)

May

Ah, that's better.  Here comes the green: Persicaria runcinata 'Purple Fantasy' (AKA knotweed), peonies (which didn't flower this year), arum lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica), bear's britches (Acanthus spinosus), and ornamental rhubarb (Rheum palmatum)

Red, white, and blue!  My Little Red Bush (Azalea), The Mother's giant white tulips in the back border, and bluebells.  More from May can be found here)

June

I've included this photo and the next because they afford a glimpse of the rest of the garden, which is rather too twee and old fashioned for my liking (kept, as it is, by The Parents)


My magnolia didn't flower last year - I'd repotted it and I think it sulked for a while - but this year it put forth loads of new, big leaves (above right), and there are plenty of young flower buds now for next Spring!

Those thuggish ferns are now gone - I dug them up last week and moved one onto the bank behind the fence, and the others to the side of the house.  There are some smaller, less invasive ferns amongst the hostas and the like, so I'm hoping they will be evident next year.

My rescued Hippeastrum's first flower spike (there was a second at the end of July)

Beautiful irises, an elegant arum lily, and prickly bear's britches.  If you didn't click the "rescued Hippeastrum" link above, there's more here - including a Drag Queen looky-likey!

July

This hollyhock (seed from Delargo Seeds Inc.) languished under the trellis last year, but exploded this year!  As you can see, hollyhocks can be accessorised with pretty much anything: sieves, coffee cups & watering cans, and a G&T!

Not-quite-chocolate foxglove (Digitalis parviflora), Fuchsia 'Blacky', Fatsia japonica 'Spiderweb', and the now flowering (and even more prickly) bear's britches

Oof!  After all that, I'm exhausted and in need of refreshment!
Oh.  Hang on.  There's more...

August

Roses.  Clearly.  These are The Mother's, but I've included them because I like the way the flowers fade as they age (plus, I deadhead them and pick off all the caterpillars!)


Now, on to the bit of this year's garden that I'm most pleased with:
The Hanging Gardens of Hexenhäusli Device (AKA my Green Gate)

This is from July.  Last year, this reclaimed gate served only as a staging area for the thuggish Cobaea scandens to advance onto the garage roof.  But this year, I introduced spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum 'Variegatum') and fuchsias, mainly as I had nowhere else to put them...

August

And a September close-up
 
☙❧

 My Terrifying Tapeworm Triffid is...
 ... just the bottom (rather aptly) of a Cobaea scandens fruit.
 
☙❧
 
 Now on to the photos of gardens past (don't worry - we're nearly at the end).  You've already seen my back passage (which was not a patch on Jon's), the various gardens of the various Castles Device, and Margaret 2.0, but barely anything from my time with SP.  So, I've managed to dredge up some photos of our garden from 2009 - complete with the Head Gardener!

Our paysho leading out to the garden.
Under the shade of that red/purple leaved flowering cherry (possibly Prunus cerasifera 'Nigra' - a cherry-plum), is a "small" avocado tree I grew from a pit, and a weeping fig (Ficus benjamina) out for the summer.  Near the end of the garden on the right is a small hibiscus tree in a little island in the lawn.

The paysho steps & border complete with many potted plants, including heuchera, fuchsia, crocosmia,and agapanthus.  And the terrace I made at the end of the garden playing host to a Madagascan dragon tree (Dracaena reflexa var. angustifolia AKA D. marginata) with some sort of philodendron climbing up it, and an aspidistra - all houseplants spending the summer outside.

The Head Gardener was enough to drive one (well, both of us, actually) to drink!
 
☙❧

 And that's just about it.  Just like last year, there'll be one final Garden Photos Event round-up post in a couple of days time, so We'll see you there!

I found this photo of sunbeams through hose mist under our Lilac tree and really wanted to include it, but as there was nowhere else suitable, here at the end will have to do.

23 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous, my dear! I almost had a tear in my eye at the sight of foxgloves (the true herald of summer), and I am thrilled to see the "single-black-flowered-hollyhock-that-turned-out-to-be-double-white" thriving - it's been pathetic for us this year.

    We've spotted the dreaded Fuchsia gall mite on a couple of our specimens (which I will try and tackle by judicious pruning this weekend), but if we are looking to replace any (or all; hope not), "Blacky" is definitely on my wish-list! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as you know, I love foxgloves, and while they were plentiful up at the allotment (due to saving any seedlings I spotted from the hoe), there weren't so many in the garden. I need to make sure I have plenty of seedlings next year in order for a good display in 2024!
      I'd like some single black and/or burgundy hollyhocks next year (as well as the marvellous double white) - one of my neighbours has a burgundy variety, so I'm going to pilfer some seeds while they're distracted by looking after my nieces.

      Good luck with pruning out the gall mite!

      Delete
  2. Well, that was a lovely wander back through your "gardens past." And, as ever, I am amazed at the way you manage to bring it all together. Next year will be somewhat of a challenge for me so I might see if I can persuade you to take a "working holiday."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dinah. Going through those photos made me realise how much I miss that stage in my life, but we can't go back, only into the future.
      Speaking of, I'd better renew my Passport in case that "working holiday" crops up!

      Delete
  3. You have a red bush! Well there's a thing.
    I love the Blacky Fuchsia - and the hanging garden. You work so hard on it all - I'm glad that the horrid pears turned out to be not so horrid.
    I hope that I remember to take more pictures of my garden throughout 2023 - we had a ton of apples this year - they were impossible to give away as everybody else had a ton of apples too! Ours were dried, or made into puree.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, my Little Red Bush! Not a patch on your Big Pink Bush, of course. It was a free gift with two batflower rhizomes last year, and thrived, whereas the batflowers didn't (i.e. they died).
      The non-horrid pears were a big surprise! I think we've only had edible pears off that tree once before. I'm hoping that there'll be more next year. As for the apples, I did manage to palm a load off onto the neighbours, but I still have half a box-full in the carport!

      Delete
  4. Wow Mr De. I am in awe.
    I love your allotment and what you have done with it. So many fruit trees how fabulous.
    Your garden is gorgeous and there is nothing wrong with being a bit twee on occasion
    So pleased to see the hollyhocks do well and "Blacky" is definitely on my wish-list too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruit trees and bushes are the way to go for lazy gardeners like me. I can leave them to their own devices with just a bit of judicious pruning now and again, and reap the rewards for a couple of seasons. You won't find me tending to 'hard work' vegetables and the like up at the allotment!

      Your hollyhock seeds have done very well here, thank you! And I hope you find a 'Blacky' on your next trip up to that Fuchsia 'farm' in Essex.

      Delete
  5. Wow...you had me with your big hanging Fuchsia 'Blacky' hanging large and heavy!!! My favorite this year are the August roses and the area where you used your repurposed fence. What a great idea and some inspiration. Im already wondered where I could do that. I couldn't do obaea scandens, I don't think it would take, who knows. But I could do morning glories with spider plants and one other flowering climbing plant, maybe clematis? I love the birdhouse in there too. I always give over thought as to where to place them.

    But you know MJ is going to be wondering where the ducks are, so think heavens a dog is present.

    It all so lovely. You've worked hard and hard at putting together this tour together. Now come over here on the fainting chaise my dear and let me give those shoulders and long legs a nice rub down. All three of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, our pond is a little on the small side for ducks. Having said that though, my sister (down the road) had one on her pond, and that doesn't have much more surface area than ours, so who know what next year may bring?

      I'm pleased to hear my hanging gate has become a source of inspiration, as I think that's one of the many plus points of our Garden Photos Event. I know i'm inspired every year after seeing everyone else's gardening efforts.
      And the thoughtful encouragement and care on show is another plus. Speaking of, now, where do you want me?

      Delete
  6. Blacky is beautiful! She's truly a diva.

    You have enough gorgeous images here for each month of the year to create your own calendar.

    Maddie's right about the head gardener keeping the ducks away. Although Beaky surely isn't bothered.

    I agree with Madam Arcati that there's nothing wrong with a bit of twee. Somehow, it all blends in to the bigger picture.

    Bravo, Mr. DeVice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Very Mistress! Blacky is a diva, indeed - so demanding! But she's worth it for the gorgeous blooms. I have made more work for myselves though, as I took three cuttings from her in September, so (as long as they all make it through the winter) next year I expect to be run off my feet!

      Moom used to turn a blind eye to Beaky's comings & goings when she was lolling around on the lawn. Perhaps she knew better than to antagonise him?

      Delete
  7. Your living wall is a marvel the effect is glorious. I did toy with doing something similar on my back fence using moss paint but the thought of putting moss and sour milk in my blender put me off, I grew ivy up it instead.

    I would love to sample your juicy drupes in my luscious and moist cranachan.

    I understand about the twee situation, old people do tend to over egg the pudding when it comes to garden whimsies.

    Re. the magnolia, have you thought about uprooting it and replacing it with a Sundale silver pampas grass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ivy is the less messy (and far less stinky) choice - I'd go for the hanging gate everytime!

      I'm sure my plums would be right at home in your thick cream, Mitzi.

      As for the magnolia replacement thought, I would, but it's out the back, so it wouldn't have the same effect as there are only deer and foxes back there.

      Delete
    2. "Juicy drupes in a luscious, moist cranachan." Is that one of Nigella's?

      Delete
    3. What's this about white cream? And what are we doing about your plums? I wouldn't mind seeing your plums. Wait did you flash your plums that I missed it? Well I certainly hope somebody didn't get a bump in the head.

      Delete
    4. I think that's one of Nigella's bedtime snacks, Very Mistress?

      No, you haven't missed anything Maddie. There were only flashes of Victoria's plums. Quite what she's doing with plums is another question entirely, though.

      Delete
    5. Plums? I had loganberries in mind for my cranachan, I could just pop one in now.

      Delete
    6. Oh, of course! Loganberries would be much better, and are a more traditional part of cranachan.

      Delete
  8. Talk about ending the tour with a bang. And I refer to your fabulous gardens, not your clandestine with Maddie on the chaise!!! I just knew you'd have a lovely garden. To have the energy you and all had here in these post is astonishing. And being a rose gal, I adore them the most. I can almost smell them.

    And your triffid picture was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, Ms Goldberg-DeWoofs! It has been a pleasure, as always.

      As for the chaise encounter, there was nothing clandestine about it! You have met Maddie, haven't you?!?

      P.S. Yes, the roses smell absolutely heavenly! There are still a couple out now, and I always have a good old sniff when I walk past.

      Delete
  9. At least I have a proper excuse for being so late this time on account of the flu I've been suffering. These pictures are a balm for the eyes though! Especially hat Black Beauty! I also really like the rescued Hippeastrum bloom and the sunbeams and mist!

    I hadn't heard of Loganberries before and had to look it up! So, they taste like a blackberry then? I suppose they like to grow and spread as fast as anything in the rubus family but it looks like they don't have long thorns which is nice for harvesting and trimming back.

    Love the garden wall too. Don't the plants have soil? I couldn't see where the soil is hiding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the loganberries! Their taste is quite distinct - sweet and a bit syrupy, but without the perfume of raspberries, and definitely not tart/sour like blackberries can be. And no thorns, but some very fine prickles that aren't really strong enough to break the skin - so you're right: harvesting & pruning is a doddle!

      If you look closely at the green gate, you should spy some plant pots containing the fuchsias and spiderplants.

      Oh, and your excuse is accepted. I hope you'll be rid of the flu very soon.

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?