Tuesday 15 November 2022

GPE #6 : Jon Wasn't Allowed to Get His Hose Out...

The absolute “Star of the Year” - Hemerocallis “Crimson Pirate” flowered constantly from May to July!

Marooned Crimsoned on

J O N' S   &   M A D A M   A R C A T I' S
 
Botanical Treasure Island
 
[I can think of far worse places to be marooned - I mean, 'crimsoned',
than Jon's & Madam A's city oasis - IDV]
 
2022 turned out to be a remarkable year for many reasons, but the unprecedented heatwave and drought we had was a real test for any kind of garden - London hit more than 40C/104F over a couple of days in July, and we had weeks and weeks with no rain whatsoever, culminating in a hosepipe ban (which is a bind when your garden consists mainly of pots, as ours does - 200 of 'em!).

Some plants merely shrugged it off - salvias and pelargoniums love to bake a bit, as do lilies and hemerocallis (as above) - and our houseplants, all outside for the summer, have never looked so good (the aspidistra threw up more than a dozen new leaves, and the orchid sprouted its flower spike earlier than ever, so we may have flowers by Xmas). Others suffered quite a bit - the fuchsias dropped loads of leaves (but still flowered well), the dahlias and phlox were covered in mildew and just looked sickly, and the ipomoea and thunbergia vines were a bit pathetic.

However, this is a garden photos event, not Beechgrove, so lets look at some, shall we..? These are my choices from each month to date in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers...

January, Hippeastrum 'Cape Horn'  -  and February, Iris reticulata 'J.S. Dijt'

March, daffs & crocus  -  and April, Geranium phaeum 'Samobor'

May, Rosa 'Veilchenblau'  -  and June, Rosa 'Gertrude Jekyll'

July, Lilium speciosum  -  and August, Agapanthus 'Charlotte'

September, Fuchsia 'Caroline'  -  and October, Salvia 'Amistad'

☙❧

I always love to give my readers a nice look at my back passage, and why should this occasion be any different? Here it is in March:



...and here it is again, six months later!


☙❧

This deep sea monstrosity is actually the rather lovely Lilium speciosum
 [as seen above, in July]

☙❧

And what of the “history bit”? Mr DeVice asked for a snapshot of a former, long-abandoned and perhaps forgotten garden of yore - here is a shot from back in summer 2011 of the pocket-handkerchief-sized one at Dolores Delargo Towers #2 (complete with baby Beaucarnea recurvata, which is about four feet tall now):


☙❧

 For the curious - because I know you're all a bunch of noseybonks - you can see the Beaucarnea recurvata (aka 'elephants foot' or 'ponytail palm') on the kitchen windowsill of Delores Delargo Towers back in January & February here and here.
 Oh, and next to the fag butts - a delightful addition to any garden, btw - a Covent Garden mug!  Very apt.  (Although, there's barely any garden in Convent Garden these days - it's been mostly brick and stone for centuries!)

 Anyway, thank you Jon and Madam Arcati for opening your back passage to the gathered throngs once again.  As always, it was a wonderful experience!

 Our next stop will be back across the pond to the gardens of Ms ProximaBlue, Melanie!  See you there in a couple of days or so.

35 comments:

  1. GLORIOUS! Not even a duck could improve upon this oasis of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only duck that crosses our threshold is confit.

      I despise this pervasive trend [I'm looking at you, Monty Don and Carol Klein!] towards having so-called "ornamental" grasses in the garden, so no. Definitely NO pampas! We're not the keys-in-a-bowl-party type of people anyhow... Jx

      Delete
  2. Jon's generous and accommodating passage is a marvel, it never fails to disappoint, it just keeps on giving and not a single vulgar begonia insight.

    I'm toying with the idea of turning my rose and fuchsia cuttings into bonsai trees.

    Those fag ends look like lip burners to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Mitzi, we're somewhat ashamed to say - there is a begonia "hidden in the picture of the September back passage. Gulp.

      As for the "ornamental" fag-ends, we don't like to let decent Pall Mall tobacco do to waste... Jx

      Delete
    2. PS Just followed the link to that "article" about making a "Fuchsia Bonsai Tree". I think it was written by a computer. Or maybe a "Speak-Your-Weight" machine. It's an intriguing prospect, but I think you'd need a bit more information than can be gleaned from that!

      Delete
    3. Good grief!!!! Pall Malls tobacco?!? That was all my father smoked for close to 30 years.

      Delete
    4. I was stood behind a man at the Euro garage today, he bought 20 B&H gold £14.45, if you please! The sales assistant didn't have the courtesy to blush!

      I scoured google images looking the best fuchsia bonsai photograph, I didn't read the bumf that went with it. Something has piqued my curiosity what's that black disc like object on the table?

      Delete
    5. Pall Mall are £10.40 in Tesco, and I though that was bad enough!

      I'll be intrigued to see how you get on with the bonsai - although I doubt they'll be turning up on the Garden Photos Event for a few years, knowing how slow they can be to develop.

      The black disc thingy was an oil burner, as I recall (it was the housemate's), probably for citronella to repel mozzies [it doesn't work, btw]. Jx

      Delete
    6. I think I see a "vulgar begonia" at the top left of September's Back Passage - hanging over the bench as brazen as you like!

      Delete
    7. She's trying (without success) to "out-brazen" the Hemerocallis in the first pic, too, I just noticed!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous garden, sweetpea! How do y'all keep track of all those pots?? I can barely keep up with 2! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a labour of love, Savvy! Jx

      Delete
    2. And you can tell it's a labor of love too Jon! Be proud, as I'm sure you both are.

      Delete
    3. We most definitely are! Jx

      Delete
  4. I wasn't in the least surprised by Jon and Madames back passage!!! A fine selection of photos had me enthralled and moist from January right through October. Just like a glory hole , Dolores DeLargo Towers never disappoints, like ever. Brava me dears!

    Now I wouldn't mind sitting there enjoying a coffee and a fag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have a glory hole installed, just for you, dear 😜

      Jx

      Delete
    2. You might need to install a turnstile.

      Delete
    3. I'm doing a deal with Ticketmaster as we speak. Jx

      Delete
    4. Oh damn...I heard Ticketmaster just crashed again with that deal......I may need you boys to pitch in.

      Delete
  5. What a clever garden. How like Jon to be all potted! And such nice healthy shoots! Clearly watered regularly and liberally. And Jon makes the most of what he's got to work with. The other boys in the neighborhood must be green with envy. Or ivy. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
      And they're like, it's better than yours
      Damn right it's better than yours!"


      Jx

      Delete
  6. Shan't even try to outdo the double entendres in comments...
    But I do, as always, feel uplifted and happy at seeing your garden. I'm seeing a trend here to people trying to grow things that just CANNOT survive in this climate. Already, the giant hardware chain is pushing "amazing deals" on special pots to grow daffodils in FFS.
    But your potted triumphs always lift the spirits.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's face it, Dinah, you are probably the only one amongst this little "gang" who actually lives in the tropics! Equivalent locations to you north of the Equator include Mali, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Gujarat in India, Hanoi in Vietnam, Maui in Hawaii, the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico, Cuba and the Bahamas...

      Any plant from any of those locations would be deemed here at best a houseplant, and more likely a "hothouse flower". Jx

      Delete
  7. I can't believe how tidy and clean the back passage looks in March! I'm up to my knees in mud by then. You work hard, Jon! Always a gloriously show up your alley.
    Blimey, even your ashtray is tidy - mine used to be overflowing by noon.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo's probably taken early enough for it to be a "Blackpool Breakfast" (cup of coffee and a fag)!

      Delete

  8. How lovely to see the garden through the year on one page and I am looking forward to strolling through everyone else's.
    I particularly enjoyed the blast from the past when ashtrays were ash trays and we could actually grow Cosmos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a flat, long ago, we had an ash tray (I think, nicked from a very posh ocean liner!) which we used for salted pretzels or olives .

      Delete
    2. Obviously you didn't have any smoking guests, then? Otherwise the nibbles would have been in the bin, replaced by Consulate stubs with lipstick on... Jx

      Delete
  9. oh, Jon's back passage, so lovely and so popular. I hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People have been known to pay it a visit now and then. Jx

      Delete
  10. I too was waiting to see these boy's garden. I love the Madam's blog to see his monthly updates and my breathe is always taken away. It blows my mind just how many plant varieties they are able to fit in such a back passage. I need to bring you boys to my house. If you saw ALL the space I have to plant, why you may be in heaven. The tour of the Towers was spectacular from January right till the end of the year. I think my favorite was the Agapanthus 'Charlotte. In the last picture of the garden of yore, are those cosmo's in behind the table? I love those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms Goldberg-DeWoofs! It is remarkable how much we can cram into such a tight space, but it is it's own reward. Jx

      PS Those are indeed Cosmos. We love them, too, but we can't grow them here - they won't grow very well in pots, and they need much more sun than we get (with the overhanging trees).

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?