Sunday 15 November 2020

A Flurry of Finches

 I'd just gone into the kitchen to make a coffee, when a flurry of activity on the bird table caught me eye: An invasion of goldfinches!
(Not to be confused with their North American counterpart)

 Amongst these red-masked, gold-winged little birds were a handful of their cousins: greenfinches and chaffinches (although these larger finches were seriously outnumbered).

Countering all the gold is a juvenile or female greenfinch

In the photo below, a young male chaffinch is on the bird table, that blur on the left is a male greenfinch, and the blur in the centre is a goldfinch.

More flighty finches: centre right is a greenfinch and below that a goldfinch

I like how the goldfinch on the right-hand feeder is peering around to see what's going on

The two goldfinches on the left are waiting for a feeding spot to become available.
A male greenfinch tries (and fails) to bully the youngster/female on the feeder out of the way.

Incoming!  (Greenfinch from the lower right)

That's a chaffinch blur on the upper right

Somehow, a blue tit made it on to one of the feeders -
that blur on the left is him/her making a speedy exit

A male chaffinch hopping around below the bird table

And after they'd had their fill, all the birds flew up to sing in the treetops

 Thankfully, there was no Beaky in sight.  Although I did hear his strident shriek...

 More flighty finches and other birds (including Beaky) can be found here and here.

21 comments:

  1. The finch of any kind make me chuckle. Either be it on the sill or at feeders....there is often plenty of room....yet like the juncos...they chase or push out others to feed. Greedy little things. I had a nuthatch on the sill roosting and eating at the same time. He must be the fat ass of the bird community. He was rather plump for a nuthatch. Now our Golden finches have molded and are now a muted yellow....not as vibriant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, the finches are extremely entertaining to watch. I stood at the window for what seemed like hours watching their antics. I like how that one female chaffinch got a spot on the feeder and then wouldn't move for anyone else - sitting there smugly as the others hover around her!

      Delete
  2. Blimey, this is a lot of activity for a Sunday! I will try to take some pictures of my starlings tomorrow.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too energetic for me. *And* I had to stand up to see them from the kitchen window!

      Did you snap any starlings?

      Delete
  3. So many finches - it's practically a "Tippi Hedren moment", although a lot less scary. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my hair looked like Tippi's ended up BEFORE I encountered the birds!

      Delete
  4. It's wild parrots around here! since my iPhone has bitten the dust, I should bring out the camera and try and catch a few shots to share! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, do! I'd love to see some more exotic specimens.
      We get the occasional ring-necked parakeet here (although I haven't seen one in years) which is about as exotic as England can muster.

      Delete
  5. These are definitely not our North American goldfinches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bloody COVID preventing international flights...

      Delete
  6. Oh I see you too get a lot of birds. I love the captures you got. They are pretty Yes, our finch look much different then yours. Lately, birds here are eating us out of house and home. You and Maddie need to get together and compare your birds. Well, you KNOW what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms Goldberg-DeWolfs! Yes, they go through no end of seed and suet - luckily, we can top up our supply very quickly as there's a garden centre (almost) next door which sells all manor of bird treats!
      Maddie and I have been known to compare our cocks and tits now and again...

      Delete
  7. Aaawwwh ! I love them ! I love these small feather balls - Thank you IDV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather adorable, aren't they, Mago?! While I think the gold & greenfinches are most entertaining, I have a soft spot for the chaffinches as they're least bothered about me being out and about in the garden. They often come to the feeder while I'm working right next to it, or hop around my feet when I'm relaxing on a chair in my little shady garden.

      Delete
  8. They won't eat stale bread anymore, it has to be coconut shells filled with suet and seeds, big dangly nut sacks and calci worms etc, otherwise they are just not interested. Spoilt fuckers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like sparrows. All the bird-spotters go on about how their numbers have declined in the UK. They don't bother to go and find where they've all buggered off to - like so many Brits - the Costa del Sol. They're all feeding off burger buns and chips down there. Jx

      Delete
    2. I read somewhere recently that the UK spends FAR more than any other European country on bird food. And that the UK great tit is evolving a longer, slimmer beak than their Euro cousins to more easily pick out seeds from bird feeder.

      Whereas it seems our sparrows are emigrating to Spain where thay can lol around gathering fat, just like fed-up old Brits...
      I wonder if any of them ever appeared on "Benidorm"?

      Delete
    3. Oh, dear gods, my spelling! Avert your eyes!

      Delete
    4. I am sure a sparrow must have shat on Madge, but I think I missed that episode. Jx

      Delete
  9. When does the Event start? My hat's ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Savvy - surprise, surprise, you've misse-

      Hang on. Hound, is that really you?

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?