Saturday 13 May 2023

Breaking the Circle

 Enough moping around and using "all" (see previous post for barely any explanation whatsoever) as an excuse for not blogging.  I am determined to, if not make a grand return, then at least dip our toes back in and go from there.  I must admit, we have almost returned several times, but something always cropped up that was an easy target to use as an excuse for not returning.  And if we leave it much longer, everything that we've missed will become too overwhelming, and we'll never come back.
 
 Anyway, yesterday evening while having tea (the late afternoon meal, not the hot drink) I took to my bookmarks and selected a blog I hadn't looked at in ages: Love in the Time of Chasmosaurs, "a blog about the science, art, and pop culture of Mesozoic life" that I find to be witty and educational, plus it contains dinosaurs!  After reading a couple of the recent posts, I slowly scrolled down to see if something would catch my eye, and something did.  I recognised a photo of a family of Triceratops ambling past Dippy's Pizza & Fries and clicked the 'continue reading' thingy.  
Nieces about to be gobbled up like Children McNuggets
 My suspicion was confirmed: The photo was taken at ROARR! the dinosaur park right here in Norfolk that I ended up at for my nephew's birthday back in August 2019, so I read - and very much enjoyed - the article.  So much so, in fact, that I was moved to leave a comment.  And it was then that I remembered I had featured some photos of the park right here on this very blog that I could link to!  So, I found the requisite post - and very quickly became subsumed in our back catalogue of adventures Over the Cusp...
 
 After getting through our shambles of an adventure in the land of Oz, we moved onto Ms Scarlet with the Trolley on the Mezzanine (and its not-really-a-sequel Dangerous Crustations, which in turn led to Secrets and Rocher: A Delilah Smythe Debacle), and then to The Calamities of the Carmine Quill et al (finally ending up at A Pink Prelude, but decided to stop there as it was bed time).  Suffice to say, all that reminiscing bucked my ideas up and goaded us into returning to (semi) regular blogging in the hopes that we might find ourselves Over the Cusp again for more hairbrained nincompoopery!

 But before all that, the following is what I thought we'd return with at the beginning of the week: a media update in the vein of last year's quarterly reviews (for want of a better term).  I'm featuring only the new stuff because there's very little of it, which will make this easier (and I have comfort-read/heard/watched a LOT of things you've seen here before: Ghosts, Star Trek: Lower Decks, ABBA, Goldfrapp, White Lies etc. etc.)
 
Read

  I have finally, finally, finished Little, Big (the novel I started reading back in November/December 2021). 
 If you fancy reading this novel, I recommend that you get it as a physical book.  This is because you'll at least have an idea of how far through it you are while reading it.  The Kindle version - at least, the one I'm using - adds chapters to make the reading experience go on for ever and ever and ever!
 My ancient Kindle shows percentage complete rather than page numbers, so when new chapters are added to what's to come, chapters of equivalent length are also added to what you've already read, thereby keeping the percentage the same.  And you'll never know which ones are new as even if you read the original ones again, it was so long since you read them that you'd never remember what happened!
 Anyway, I eventually managed to read enough of it to overtake the additional chapters and finish the novel, and I have moved onto The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman, in glorious immutable paperback!

Heard
 
Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Breaking the Circle

 
Alison Goldfrapp - Love Invention


Watched
 
Our Flag Means Death

 
Colin From Accounts

 
A Quiet Place 2

~o~
 
 There.  That's it for now.  It went on for longer than I expected.  Sorry.  I will answer the comments in the previous post in a bit, then visit your blogs to see what you've all been up to.  I suspect we have a lot to catch up with!

18 comments:

  1. The novel you’ve finished reading with the chapters being added sounds terrifying - I would never finish it! I would like to read the Richard Osman book though. At the moment I am reading some sort of chic lit thing and I have no idea why.
    It’s nice to see you again, Mr Devine! I hope you write glorious nonsense that makes us all happy!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept thinking that I should just give up on it, but I wanted to know what happened at the end. But now that I've finished it, I'm still none the wiser really. The Richard Osman book is VERY enjoyable - I've not finished it, but I recommend it so far.

      I think once the Coronation and Eurovision hubbub has died down, there'll be room for even more glorious nonsense!

      Delete
    2. Richard Osman's book is quite fun. I know there are more in the series but I haven't got round to them yet.

      I just finished "The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches" by Sangu Mandanna. It's a very light read, much of which takes place in NORFOLK.

      Delete
    3. I've finished "The Thursday Murder Club" (warm-hearted, amusing, and very, very lovely) and have started "The Man Who Died Twice" - Writing that sentence reminded me of "The Woman Who Died A Lot (a Thursday Next novel)"

      Oh! I meant to read "The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches" after it was featured at Tor.com (here and here, but no mention of the setting). Thanks for the reminder, Very Mistress!

      Delete
  2. How lovely to have you back (kicks own backside and says"get on with your own blog!") and with some interesting must reads. Now...you may find rather a lot of stuff to wade through in your email...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just looked at my emails. Yes, I think a shag may be in order!

      Delete
  3. I missed you! I miss all the regular peeps when we inevitably get sucked into other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've missed you and everyone else. "Other things" is as bad as "all"!

      Delete
  4. It's ten to nine and I'm just clearing up from DINNER. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinner? Crikey! I'm assuming "dinner" in the land of Hound is the evening meal, and not the midday meal like it is in this neck of the woods?

      Delete
  5. HOY CRAP you posted a thing! And I am so grateful you don't even know. We need you out here! Now I'm on the lookout for Richard Osmon books - taking your advice on this one - and I am loving the Alison Goldfrapp. And not just because she is giving me 'come hither' vibes either. The feel is almost Kate Bush for some reason (also unendurably sexy) and yeah. Wow! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Ms Nations. I'm glad I was able to service a need. Even though it wasn't the kind of need that Alison Goldfrapp can evidently service...

      Delete
  6. I love Osman's books! I went on (yet another) mystery writer deep dive and alternated between him and Anthony Horowitz! I have a stack of TBR books that have been calling to me, hence my periodic appearances. Great seeing you here, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drat! I wish the book-reading thing was a reason for me not blogging very much. I am slightly envious that you have a TBR stack - "The Man Who Died Twice" has now been started, and there aren't any more on the pile.

      :: wonders if could make up some books that might have read as an excuse ::

      Delete
  7. I just tonight also dipped back into the cool waters of posting. I'm glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thee coolness of the water wasn't as much of a shock to the system as I thought, so perhaps we can keep up our impetus, Mr Peenee?

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?