Sunday 23 April 2023

The Blob! (and other Unusual Suspects at Pensthorpe)

 In an effort to get away from it all*, me and my sister Inexcuseable took a trip to Penisthorpe (as she likes to call it - and so now does her son, Count Podgekinson, 5!) yesterday.
 After an underwhelming welcome from a handful of ducks, geese, and a few black headed gulls, we headed out into the reserve.  Much to our surprise/digust/horror, one of the first things we came across was an iridescent alien egg sack (which we later discovered was only a slime mould, Enteridium lycoperdon - the false puffball).

Well, of course we poked it (those are Inexcuseable's fingers, not mine)

Newly hatched ducklings

A handsome tufted duck

This grey heron was a lot closer, but we inadvertantly disturbed it so it flew off into this tree

Tits!  Of the Great variety.

Oh, FFS!  I warned you I was about to take your photo!

That's better.

Grump


Look at that scowl!

A young Reeve's muntjac crashing the party

A haphazard closeup showing the preorbital gland extending from its eye

Mandarin ducks - "the Zandra Rhodes of the duck world" (thank you, Jon)

All photos from the tits to Zandra Rhodes were taken from a hide that overlooked this feeding spot

The bluebells of Bluebell Wood had just started to come out

A garden spider hiding on a seed head

These coots must have seen something exciting on the other side of the lake

Feeding time!

This greylag goose was VERY greedy and impatient, and kept flying up on to the bridge whenever Inexcuseable stopped throwing pellets.  Just as we were leaving, it nearly knocked some woman over the railing!

A striking coot with its individually webbed toes

Avocet Island in the waders aviary

Avocets
 
 Other adventures at Pensthorpe can be found here (2021), here (2019) and here (2018)
 
 
* "all" being just some of the various reasons why I haven't been about much lately.  I will do better, though.  
 
Soon.  
 
Probably...

22 comments:

  1. These pictures are a delight! I like that you caught the squirrel with their eyes closed. So cute! And a scowling bird. The tufted duck is handsome and reminds me of our local Griebes which I, of course, love. Everyone put your butt in the air like you just don't care (if you're waterfowl that is.)

    We finished season 2 of Invisible City (Eight episodes, I think.). It was good and it's the final season, so everything gets wrapped up and you don't have to wait endlessly for multiple seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the tufted ducks, but it would have been lovely to see some great crested grebes. There usually are some mooning at Penisthorpe, but we didn't see any that day.

      Thanks for the Invisible City news - now that I know it's out, I might get Netflix back for a month to watch it!

      Delete
    2. If you do, you may also like "Japanese Stories of the Macabre" (12 short episodes I think, but skip the first one, its rubbish, the others were so weird as to be funny more than scary) and The African Folktales Reimagined. (6 short episodes)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great day out - Zandra Rhodes and "grumpy bird" and all! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little chilly as I recall, but definitely worth it. Especially as there weren't crowds of people!

      Delete
  3. Don't you just love it when the kiddies innocently(or not!) pick up and repeat your rude versions of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I do smirk when Count Podgkinson tells his cousins that he's been to Penisthorpe!

      I said "shit" in front of him earlier (we were playing Ker-Plunk! and I loosed some marbles on my go which caused my outburst) and thought that he wasn't paying attention, but my sister asked if he heard what I said, so he blurted out "SHIT!"

      Delete
  4. Well, you know I enjoy any variety of bird...and this post has tickled me. Such a nice wide variety of waterfowl. I especially enjoyed the Mandarin ducks and the black coot. I can't recall seeing any of them here. And that grumpy bird. Speaking of birds... last week I had post from my recent trip to Hungary and Austria where I befriended Beaky. Has he moved on from your place?

    And has it been a while since you came across some white stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed so many of your recent posts (as well as everyone elses - something I'm about to rectify), including the Beaky one. I've just clicked the link, and must say, the Hungarian Beaky looks far more terrifying than mine!

      As for the white stuff, yes, it has been a while. No snow, spume, or slime mould action in months!

      Delete
  5. I want a Zandra Rhodes duck!!! Though I think I'll be able to match you on the Heron, and the Goose.
    'All' has been rather too much lately hasn't it? I think we should kick 'All' back into the long grass and be allowed to get on with our lives. I think if I illustrated 'All' it would look like an explosion of scribble, a banana, and overexposed photos.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'All' can do one as far as I'm concerned. It has outstayed it's welcome by far, and can take its bananary smell with it!

      P.S. I've just rewatched Miranda, and one of the many bits I laughed at was Gary and Miranda getting chased by those geese that Stevie released!

      Delete
    2. I rewatched Miranda twice last year - it really is perfect comfort viewing!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. I rewatched Miranda twice last year - it really is perfect comfort viewing!
      Sx

      Delete
    4. Yes, I heard you the first time! ;)

      Miranda never fails to make me laugh - and cringe, and nod, and gallop, and fancy Tom Ellis as Gary. And Luke Pasqualino as the youthful Jason!

      Delete
  6. There's a Jackdaw that frequents my garden, I call her Margaret. 'All' is the reason why I haven't been around much lately, I took myself off to Blackpool for a few days last week, I thought if I surround myself with commonness it would take my mind off things, and it did, in a way, like Fanny Button from Ghosts I was appalled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jackdaws are very entertaining - strutting around with their grumpy faces, squabbling with each other.

      Did you find yourself making faces like Fanny in Blackpool?

      Delete
  7. Not what I was expecting from a place named Penisthorpe but lovely all the same. Beautiful flora and fauna. Did Bitey stay at home with Beaky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bitey certainly did stay at home. I think he may have been pecked to death by geese and swans if let loose in Penisthorpe. At least at home, there's only one Beaky so it would take too much time to be pecked to death.

      Delete
  8. Here I am stoked about the garden spider in it's little Op-Art lair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a look at the other seed heads, but this one was the only one playing host to a spider. The others clearly didn't make the cut.

      Delete
  9. What an adventure you had, sweetpea! The only birds I've seen lately are crows, sparrows, wild parrots, and Lalaland's ever present ghetto birds (LAPD helicopters)! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, make sure you get some photos of them for the Garden Photos Event. Although, maybe don't encourage the ghetto birds to land in your California poppies?

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?