Thursday 15 December 2022

"Julian fingering Fanny's lip"*

1983 Bantam Books cover
by Yvonne Gilbert
 It's almost the end of the year, so here are most of the things I've read, watched and listened to since my last update back in September.  Unfortunately, I don't have much time to spend on this as I need all the time I can get to work on the end-of-year roundup - which I've barely begun - Eeeek! (The observant amongst you will notice that I copied this intro from last year's end-of-year update because it's still relevant.)
 

Read

Oh, gods, it's been a year and I'm still struggling through Little, Big by John Crowley.  And I haven't even re-read anything either!  We'd better quickly move on to the next category...


Watched

The Vast of Night (Prime Video) - I could not make out what the male lead was saying for much of this alien abduction film.  His accent and specific 50s dialogue combined to become almost impenetrable to me.

Star Trek: Lower Decks, S3 eps 7-10 (Prime Video) - Amazing! The finale was so exhilarating, but rather than post a video of that and ruin it for anyone who may want to watch it without spoilers, here is a clip from an earlier episode.

 

"Thanks again for the mimosas."


Bill (Prime Video) - My gods, Ben Willbond makes a sexy King Philip II of Spain.  Rawr!

Cosmos (Prime Video) - A surprisingly good British sci-fi film akin to Contact-with-Jodie-Foster but on a shoestring budget.  The overly dramatic music and Hollywood Blockbuster Hero Speech was totally out-of-place, though (but the clichéd, race-against-time car journey wasn't, surprisingly).

First Contact: An Alien Encounter (BBC iPlayer) - A rather tiresome drama documentary.

The Great British Bake Off, S13 (C4) - The best baker won, but for me, this series was made by cheerful, enthusiastic, and very sexy runner-up, Sandro.  Disappointingly, his shirt remained on throughout every show.  Fortunately, his social media accounts came to the rescue, as you can see on the right (cropped image from this post).

Life After the Navigator (Prime Video) - Documentary about now grown up child actor Joey Cramer, famous for Flight of the Navigator (amongst other films).  Rather moving.

We Are Not Alone (Dave via Sky) - Sci-Fi comedy from Laurence Rickard and Ben Willbond (two of the creators of Bill and Ghosts, amongst other things).  Amusing, but not a patch on Ghosts. 
 And the best thing about it - Lucien Laviscount's bulging biceps almost bursting out of his ridiculously undersized suit - disappointingly wasn't in it for long.  Which was  probably for the best actually, as he was far too distracting...  (I couldn't be bothered to screencap, so here's a link to something else he was in)

The Goes Wrong Show S1 (BBC iPlayer) - I nearly died laughing watching 'Robert Grove' laughing maniacally as he tried to get out of the room in ep 4 "The Lodge"!!!

Peter Pan Goes Wrong (BBC iPlayer) - My black, pointed hat is off to the Mischief Theatre for getting everything to go wrong with such wit and gay abandon.  David Suchet is priceless as the narrator.

A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong (BBC iPlayer) - See above.  Except that instead of David Suchet, they roped in Dame Diana Rigg and Sir Derek Jacobi.

Ghosts Christmas Special: "It's Behind You" (BBC iPlayer) - Why is Ghosts not on all year round?  Why?!?

Detectorists S3 Special (BBC iPlayer) - Ahhhhhhhh....


Motherland: Last Christmas (BBC iPlayer) - I hope this isn't the last of Motherland


Rewatched

Ghosts S1-4 and "It's Behind You" (BBC iPlayer) - because of course I rewatched series 4 straight away.  And then all four series again.  Twice.

* Post title from 'The Hardest Word', ep 3 of S4

Ghostbusters: Answer The Call (Prime Video) - I only watched it for Chris Hemsworth.  Mmmmmm...

Aliens vs Predator (DVD) - If one switches one's brain off and embraces the cheesiness, it's not terrible.  And Raoul Bova and Colin Salmon are nice to look at.

Detectorists (BBC iPlayer) - Utterly charming, so of course it got a rewatch.

Watership Down (DVD) - Not quite as harrowing as I remember, but still... (I've had this DVD for years, since at least May 2008 - it was still in the cellophane wrapper!) 

The Lost Boys (DVD) - Mmmm... Jason Patric.  But Billy Wirth as dark-haired vampire Dwayne even more so!

Star Trek: Lower Decks S3 (Prime Video) - Yes, this got a rewatch pretty much straight away, too.   And then another one this last week.

The Goes Wrong Show S2 (BBC iPlayer) - In keeping with the loose theme of finding a fanciable male amongst the casts of the various films and shows listed here, Dave Hearn as 'Max Bennett' looks very much like my ex, George.  But it's Chris Leask as 'Trevor' who I find myself crushing on!

Now and Again (DVD)


Legend (Prime Video) - Delightful as always!  (Before little Tom Cruise became really annoying)


Unwatched

Strictly Come Dancing (BBC) - I got through half the launch show back in September, realised that Aljaž wasn't in it, stopped watching and never went back.  Without Aljaž, the fun, good bits are now outweighed by the many, many annoyances.


Heard

 Aside from One Direction's "Stole My Heart" and various crashing anthems from Editors, this past couple of months or so I have mostly been listening to:  

Girls Aloud "Untouchable" and "Love is Pain" (I used to sing along - badly - to "Love is Pain" in the car when SP was driving.  How he didn't drive into a tree to end it all, I don't know)
 
Magdalena Bay "All You Do"

Human League "Filling up with Heaven" (amongst others from their 1995 album, Octopus)

Foxes "Body Talk"

The final dedicated music post of the year wouldn't be complete without something from my favourite beardy miseryguts and his equally glum band: White Lies "What If We're Bad Together"

Okay, that was too miserable to end on, so here's something a little more upbeat (although it probably isn't): "Breakdown Days"
 
Actually, let's end with BabyAngel69's "Cruel Intentions" instead which was first brought to my attention by Jon (who else?!) last year.  Thank you, Jon x!

 And that's about it for another year of wwwWOW! - except for the Xmas specials of both Ghosts and Detectorists.  I've never been so excited for Xmas!!!

EDIT 29/12/2022: I have now watched the Xmas specials of both Ghosts and Detectorists, and have updated the list above accordingly.  Carry on.

38 comments:

  1. I have started watching Wednesday on Netflix - it is adorable! You might like it too.
    You haven't missed much by skipping Strictly - somehow it has been less enjoyable this year - the heart has gone out of it. I will catch up with Ghosts; I've seen most of it, but it ended up clashing with something.
    I also rewatched The Lost Boys this year! Slightly dated now!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued about Wednesday. When I inevitably rekindle my Netflix romance, Wenesday will be one of the shows I watch.

      Clashing, Ms Scarlet? That's what iPlayer is for!

      Delete
  2. Where do you find the time, darling? You're so talented... I can't imagine you sitting still long enough to enjoy all this stuff. Have a lovely weekend. Adore. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the time is easy to come by when one doesn't have a life or many responsibilities - i.e. a Significant Other! I have found myselves to be quite good at lounging around doing shit all, or procrastinating in front of the telly/PC when there's something of worth to be done elsewhere...

      Have a smashing weekend yourself, Mr Tonking!

      Delete
  3. The only viewing choices we shared this year were The Detectorists (looking forward to their Xmas special), and The Great British Bake Off which I watch because of my love for Noel Fielding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, Bake-Off could do with a bit more Noel Fielding!

      Delete
    2. Fortunately, there are many YouTube clips of Noel Fielding online from The Mighty Boosh, stand-up, game shows, and other performances, not to mention Tumblr photos, etc. Not that I *cough* go actively looking for images of him or anything like that. *cough*

      Delete
    3. I like him too! Do you also watch The IT Crowd? He’s not in all the episodes, but memorable in the ones that he is. My favourite is the dinner party episode.
      Sx

      Delete
    4. I think he was also a Captain on Never Mind the Buzzcocks in the later series’s’s’s.
      Sx

      Delete
    5. This is why Americans have seasons and not series’.
      Sx

      Delete
    6. I suppose we can admit that seasons and not series’s's's is one of the VERY few examples of American English being superior to British English.

      P.S. I have to admit that I'd somehow never heard of Noel Fielding before Bake Off. Sorry!

      Delete
    7. Never heard of Noel before Bake Off? *Gasps*

      Delete
    8. Yes, Miss Scarlet. I've seen Noel on "The IT Crowd" and many episodes of "Never Mind the Buzzcocks." I seek him here, I seek him there, I seek him everywhere. And he's a talented artist! I especially liked his Bryan Ferry-themed exhibition.

      Delete
    9. Mr. DeVice, you must watch Noel perform Kate Bush’s Wuthering Heights dance in his red dress.

      Delete
    10. I know. Mitzi! I'd heard the name mentioned, but always thought it was attached to someone of the female persuasion (I was thinking a combination of Noel Gordon and Helen/Yvette Fielding).

      Oh, that was brilliant, Very Mistress! I particularly enjoyed the backing dancers performing as his afterimage, and then the glare he gave them when he noticed them!

      Delete
  4. Needless to say, I have watched/read nothing on this list - but I am pleased to be reminded of the faboo Cruel Intentions! I wonder if BabyAngel69 will ever release anything else? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sporadically check his YouTube account to see if anything new has been posted, but no. Very disappointing.

      Delete
  5. Watership Down - that's about hares, isn't it ? I think I once read a book with this title.
    This Crowley you mention is not that Crowley ? Just asking for a friend ...
    If I would find a possibility to watch "Ghosts" I think I would use it. all those other soggy bottoms, nah, sorry, I doubt ... seriously, how do you do it ? All that work out in the bushes and the greenery, the burgeous existance etcetc.pp. - and still time to watch all this stuff ?! And remember it.
    You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Watership Down film was based on the novel by Richard Adams, and tells the story of a group of rabbits (part of the Leporidae family, along with hares) fleeing their doomed warren to start up a new one, somewhere safer.

      As well as Ghosts (which skirts the edges of ridiculousness - no bad thing, I might add), I think you'd enjoy the more down-to-earth Detectorists too, Mago.
      And as for how I remember all this stuff, I make a note of what I've watched as soon as I've seen it. Otherwise I'd never remember even a half of it!

      P.S. You can assure your "friend" that no, he is not that Crowley.

      Delete
    2. Sorry IDV - what did he find ? I know he'll stick it on ebay, and people buy this shit - but what is it ? I do not understand one word he says while he inspects the item, and I can not embiggen the pic. Is this a special local dialect ?

      Delete
    3. Translated from Toby Jones' West Country accent (which, apparently, Ms Scarlet does not speak in - she's more Lorraine Chase [scroll down to 'The Tipple of Titans']): "Ring pull. (19)83. Tizer."

      (Just in case you can't be arsed to click the link, it's a ring pull from a can of fizzy drink)

      Delete
    4. I am Loraine Chase in wellies and a weather defying coat. Though I do not drink Campari, I have instead been imbibing Black Russians - tasty.
      Sx

      Delete
    5. Lorraine Chase can only hope to be as stylish and practical, Ms Scarlet!

      Mr Mago, I think Aunty Beeb has been reading this, as not two days after our previous comments, they go and publish this!

      Delete
  6. I love Watership Down (and Secret of Nimh) Aw, special childhood memories!

    I made my 12yo son watch Lost Boys earlier this summer. He was amused. I can't believe I had to sneak into the movie theater to watch it! It was rated R and I was 14 at the time.

    I loved Wednesday and 1899 is very good on Netflix. Bullet Train was good, not great. It was trying too hard to be a Guy Ritchie movie.

    On Prime, I hope you'll give Peripheral a try and like it as much as I do. Can't wait for the next season! I love the diversity of characters. A little well-deserved love for the hardy folks of Appalachia.
    https://youtu.be/bRdkRQzcrrc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, The Secret of Nimh! I haven't seen that in a long time. I read the book when I was very much younger and REALLY enjoyed it, despite it being quite frightening.

      I keep seeing Peripheral pop up in the "You might like" bit, but it looks rather grim and fighty. I might give it a go, but I'm currently rewatching Now and Again (from 1999) - I had such a crush on Eric Close!

      Delete
    2. The story had heart and wit. It's not always grim and fights. There are a couple of tough to watch scenes, but it's also beautiful and fascinating. You'll likely fall for the allure of Wilf Netherton as I do. There's a juxtaposition between a near-future Appalachia town and futuristic London 2070. It harnesses my appreciation for delayed gratification as I wait for her to put the damn headset back on so we can get back to London, to Wilf.

      Delete
  7. I adored Flight of the Navigator when I was a youth (which reminds me, I need to go the bank tomorrow to make a withdrawal), its a lot better than T-Bags Christmas Ding-Dong.

    I have the illustrated book of Watership Down in a sleeve cover, unsigned, but still, I wonder if it's worth anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost all interest in T-Bag when Tallulah was destroyed and replaced with her far inferior sister Tabatha. And Sally Simpkins needs a visit from General Woundwort!

      Delete
    2. Never watched T-Bag. In the 1980s I was too fucking busy, and vice versa. Jx

      Delete
    3. Then you missed Elizabeth Estenson chewing scenery and being a complete diva with THE BEST maniacal laugh, Jon!
      Although, your excuse is a good one, and it checks out.

      Delete
  8. Holy Moley, sweetpea! I thought I was doing well watching "Glass Onion" and "Three Pines" on netflix! Happy Christmas! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have... Oh, what's it called again? You know, that thing that people have that prevents them from lolling around watching telly? Oh, yes: A Life!

      Delete
  9. I've just come from The de LargoTowers, telling Jon he MUST watch the whole Travels With my Aunt and I come here and have no idea what this is about.Perhaps these things are not available here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well, it seems that most of what I've watched recently has been on either the BBC or Amazon (Prime Video), so that would probably explain why they've passed you by?

      Delete
  10. I seem to be having trouble commenting on blogs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not you, it's me. Well, it's my blog. This post is now over 14 days old, so comment moderation has kicked in.

      Delete
  11. Baggage?.as in The Luggage?
    I managed to look beyond the bare chests and spot that you've got into the Goes Wrong Show. Bravo! Chris Bean reaches positively Fawltyan levels of derangement in Peter Pan.
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, he does an outstanding Basil Fawlty! The Goes Wrong Show has made me laugh like nothing else in 2022, and no doubt it will get rewatched this year, too.

      Happy New Year, Hound!

      P.S. No, not The Luggage - I don't have enough legs...

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?