Monday 27 December 2021

"Aunty Anne just gobbed at us."

 It's almost the end of the year, so here are most of the things I've read, watched and listened to since my last update back in September.  Unfortunately, I don't have much time to spend on this as I need all the time I can get to work on the end-of-year roundup (which I've barely begun - Eeeek!).

Read

⌑  Light from Uncommon Stars (2021), by Ryka Aoki - I read this to learn more about trans people and because the premise sounded bonkers (cursed violins and alien-replicated donuts, anyone?), and also because it was likened, in style and feeling, to Becky Chambers' (one of my favourite authors) novels.  The descriptions and world-building were good - everything came alive easily in my head - and it felt clean and comfortable (despite some horrible transphobia and ignorance-fueled violence suffered by Katrina, one of the main characters).  Secondary characters seemed to get short shrift, though (Lan Tran's family in particular) - I didn't feel I got to know them, they just did things.  Overall, I rather liked it, but probably won't revisit it.

⌑  White Trash Warlock (2020), by David R. Slater - This one I read because of this part of the description in the Tor review: "This is no Chosen One narrative—this is a regular guy, who just happens to have a bit of magic, trying to do his best in life."  Although I quite liked it, I probably won't go back to this one (or any sequels) either.

⌑  Little, Big (1981), by John Crowley - I'm only about a fifth of the way through (if that), and I'm finding it hard-going (it's not an easy read like the previous two novels), but it is quite fascinating.

ReRead

⌑   The Indispensible Calvin and Hobbes, by Bill Watterson - Just a delight, as always.

[strip via]



Watched

  ⌑  Star Trek: Lower Decks (S2 ctd. eps 8-10)  ⌑  Strictly Come Dancing (S19)  ⌑  Strictly: It Takes Two (S19)  ⌑  The Great British Bake-Off (S5)  ⌑  Dune (2021) (at the cinema, no less - my first visit since June 2019!)  ⌑  Eternals (another trip to the cinema - mainly to see Richard Madden in a ridiculous skin-tight get-up)  ⌑  What We Do In The Shadows (S3)  ⌑  Lost in Space (S3)  ⌑  Universe  ⌑  Richard Osman's House of Games (S5)  ⌑  The Graham Norton Show (S29)  ⌑  Don't Look Up  ⌑  James Webb Space Telescope Launch (live on Christmas Day - I was so tense until it finally reached space and the telescope was successfully deployed.  But it was also absolutley thrilling!)  ⌑  Superstore (S6) (EDIT 02.01.2022 - I watched Superstore 30-31/12.  I wasn't going to watch this final season because Amy and Jonah break up, but I caved - and I'm glad I did.  It was just as funny as previous seasons, and along with everyone seemingly getting a happy ending in the final episode, Amy and Jonah get back together.  I'm not ashamed to say that it made me cry.)

Rewatched

  ⌑  Prometheus (I rather liked Charlize Theron's character this time around - shame she got squashed by an enormous rolling spaceship at the end)  ⌑  The Devil Wears Prada (Love! "Where's that piece of paper I had in my hand yesterday?"  "By all means move at a glacial pace - you know how much it thrills me.")  ⌑  Futurama (S3)  ⌑  Lost in Space (S2)  ⌑  Spirited Away  ⌑  Dune (1984)  ⌑  The Windsors (S1, 2 & 3 and the Specials) (Absolutely hilarious!  Much more entertaining than Netflix's The Crown [which gets a couple of amusing references])  ⌑  Mary Poppins  ⌑  War of the Worlds (2005)  (Yes, the Tom Cruise one - and I watched it on Christmas Day, too!  I was only going to watch until the first tripod emerged and started zapping people - you know, to get into the Christmas spirit - but then I wanted to see the bit where Dakota Fanning screeches "It'll come out on its own!" about the splinter she got.  SP and I always referenced it whenever we got splinters, but it seems that while Miss Fanning does A LOT of screeching after the tripods attack, the only mention of her splinter comes before all that and she's very calm and collected about it.  Oh, well...)  ⌑  Bird Box  ⌑  Muriel's Wedding (EDIT 02.01.2022 - I watched Bird Box and Muriel's Wedding after this post was published, but before the end of the year.  I'm including them for completion purposes.)

[Post title from episode 1, series 3 of The Windsors]


Heard

  ⌑  "Tokyo" - White Lies  ⌑  "Sister Ray" - Foxes  ⌑  "Ode to Joy" (Epic Trailer Version) - L'Orchestra Cinématique (and Beethoven, of course)  ⌑  "Moonlight Rendezvous" - Beast In Black  ⌑  "Ave Maria (Epic Trailer Version)" - L'Orchestra Cinématique (and Franz Schubert/Walter Scott)  ⌑  "I Don't Want To Go To Mars" - White Lies  ⌑  "Yellow Halo" - Goldfrapp

Replayed

  ⌑  "Cry Little Sister" (Theme from The Lost Boys) - Gerard McMann  ⌑  "All Night Operator" (Part 1) - Goldfrapp  ⌑  "Rain Down Love" - Freemasons  ⌑  "I'm Not Your Hero" (The Murderbot Diaries Animatic) - Tegan and Sara  ⌑  "The Fear" - Lily Allen (thanks for the reminder, Ms Scarlet)  ⌑  "Sister of Pearl" - Baio  ⌑  "Major Tom (Coming Home)" - Peter Schilling  ⌑  "Make Me Feel" - Janelle Monáe


 I hope you're all having a wonderful Winterval so far?  I'll be back in a few days with my traditional look back at the year.  I hope (I haven't quite finished it, you see, and I'm trying something a bit different this year).  See you then!

18 comments:

  1. My head is spinning...

    I can't remember doing anything at all this year. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hopefully my impending vague review of the year will jog your memory, Jon. Finds from your blogs feature quite heavily!

      Delete
  2. Of course his day's improving.Hobbes helps ANYTHING. The rest? Beyond me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calvin and Hobbes are my 'go to' comforting escape whenever I get sick to death of real life.

      Delete
  3. I am just about resurfacing - I forgot it was Sunday yesterday [true!] hence I also forgot that I was supposed to blog something. BUT, I watched Don't Look Up! And although I might have nodded off at times, it was amusing.
    I will have to trawl through my copious journals, notebooks, and receipts to remember what I did in 2021. There is a standout memory of a pair of trousers. Such a thrilling year.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing track of days is entirely forgivable (and expected) in the post-Christmas pre-New Year jumble. And at least you have something to blog this weekend, don't you. Don't you?!?

      Delete
  4. Any particular favourite Graham Norton episodes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, given that here in the farthest outpost of Empire, we are fed a daily diet of repeats, I'd probably be going back YEARS ! But he is funny and I try to catch-up on repeats. Robin Williams was a gem.

      Delete
    2. Have any of you Bitches read any of Graham Norton's novels? They've received good reviews but I haven't picked one up yet.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I have! I read Home Stretch - and on my list I gave it 7/10 - which may have been harsh with hindsight! I would read more of his books.
      Sx

      Delete
    4. I rather enjoyed the one with Miriam Margolyes & Paul Rudd, and the one with Olivia Colman and Keanu Reeves. But I think my favourite was the one with Richard Osman and Chris & Rosie Ramsey!
      I haven't read any of Graham's books, Very Mistress. I might read Richard Osman's though.

      Delete
    5. I always enjoy Miriam Margolyes although her televised Scottish jaunt with the ever marvelous Alan Cumming wasn't all I hoped it would be.

      I haven't yet read Richard Osman's books but I hear the latest is selling well.

      Delete
  5. I like the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds. I thought my son was ready to watch it but when the bodies started floating down the river he "noped" out of the room and I was left to finish it by myself. I know I should know better, just because there is a kid of the same age in it doesn't mean it's "age appropriate." However, we're now watching Stranger Things and he's totally loving it. Even the non-monster parts are weird and foreign to him. He's not sure what to make of his parents having been teenagers in the 1980s. Why did we not know it was such a magical time when we were living it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can feel a Stranger Things rewatch coming on... Poor Barb, though.

      Delete
  6. I have a complete collection of all the Calvin and Hobbs. I thought the world of them while they appeared on a daily basis. The wisdom to be found there... Kizzes. And Happy Holidays, dear. I wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calvin and Hobbes are just delightful! I think the strip was printed in the Daily Express over here, but I got my fix from buying the collections.

      Happy Holidays to you too, Mr Tonking!

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?