Saturday 9 December 2023

"... or shall I just whip out the Cock Soc?"

 It's almost the end of the year, so here are most of the things I've read, watched and listened to since my last updates back in July and August.  Unfortunately, I don't have much time to spend on this as I need all the time I can get to work on the end-of-year roundup - which I've barely begun - Eeeek! (The observant amongst you will notice that I copied this intro from last year's end-of-year update because it's still relevant.)
Hmmm... Is anyone else having deja vu?
 
Read

GHOSTS: The Button House Archives by Mat Baynton, Simon Farnaby, Martha Howe-Douglas, Jim Howick, Laurence Rickard, and Ben Willbond  ~  This utterly hilarious accompaniment to the TV series is the only new book I've read since the summer.  Written as it is by the creators/actors of the Ghosts TV series, The Button House Archives is absolutely true to form and packed with letters, articles, historical documents, and transcripts (by Alison, the "Living" who can see and hear the ghosts) which expand upon the lives (and deaths) of the ghosts.
 Here, Martha Howe-Douglas who plays Lady Fanny Button, reads an excerpt in character:

Re-read

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers  ~  Just as delightful and warm and emotional and tense as on the first read.

The Galaxy and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers  ~  Because I couldn't stop at just one of Becky Chambers' Wayfarers novels.
 
 
Watched
 
No Activity  ~  I found this Australian police comedy on iPlayer after having watched Colin From Accounts earlier in the year.  Amongst others, it stars Harriet Dyer and Patrick Brammell who created and starred in Colin From Accounts, so that was the main reason for watching it.  And also because Patrick Brammell is a fox!

Ghosts, series 5  ~  Perhaps not quite as funny as previous series', this final series makes up for that with more emotional and serious themes.  Plus, we finally learned how both Kitty and The Captain met their ends (The Captain's nearly broke my heart).  And the Christmas Special is yet to come!
* The post title comes from The Captain wondering "Are we still playing Food Club, ..."
(Cock Soc is short for the N.A.A.F.I. Home Forces canteen Cocktail Society)

[In lieu of the Christmas Special, here's March's Comic Relief sketch featuring Kylie]

Star Trek: Lower Decks, season 4  ~  As with Ghosts, LDS wasn't quite up to the extremely high standards of the previous season, but it's still excellent!  And it gave us a chocolate Rutherford!!!
 
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, season 2  ~  This season was a bit hit & miss for me.  While I love almost all the characters (Dr. M'Benga is just not really landing with me), I'm not so enamoured with the darker, war/terror-themed episodes.  Fortunately, episodes like "Ad Astra Per Aspera", the awesome LDS crossover "Those Old Scientists", and the surprise musical "Subspace Rhapsody" more than make up for it!

["Status Report" is the first musical number from the episode, but not my favourite.  Super-hot Ethan Peck Spock's "I'm the X" is up there, but a little sullen to feature the clip here.]
 
The Great British Bake Off, series 14  ~  Just as warm, comforting and funny as usual, with another delightful and endearing selection of bakers - particularly the adorable Saku and Matty!

Rewatched

The Witches of Eastwick  ~  Have another cherry.

Ghosts, series 1-5  ~  All of it again.  ALL OF IT!
 
The Rats of NIMH  ~  (which Melanie mentioned this time last year, funnily enough)

Bill  ~  another 'this time last year' rewatch
 
The Goes Wrong Show  ~  and their Goes Wrong Alongs.

Peter Pan Goes Wrong  ~  which was my first panto "serious vignette" of this year's season:



Heard

 There's nothing new here, but these are some of my favourites from throughout the year:

Kylie "Padam Padam"  ~  First seen back in May.

Alison Goldfrapp "Love Invention"  ~  The Boys' Shorts Total Attraction remix was seen in September.
 
Bright Light Bright Light "Down To One"  ~  Featured in Jon's Euterpean Mood and later in the Garden Photos Event's Terrifying Triffidery on Hallowe'en.
 
 And finally, from commuting in Car II, Ultravox "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" (for the longest time, I thought Cliff Richard sang this and was rather ashamed that I liked one of his songs)

 
 Actually, as with last year, let's end on a high with BabyAngel69's "Cruel Intentions" instead, which was first brought to my attention by Jon (who else?!) the year before last.  Thank you, Jon x!

19 comments:

  1. Apart from The Witches of Eastwick [we loved it so much, we even went and saw the musical (way back in 2001)!], Kylie [THE Song of the Year] and Ultravox, I was at a bit of a loss - but thank you for the shout-out for Bright Light Bright Light and BabyAngel69!

    You've reminded me, I really should try and get another "Pick of the Pops" collection up before the year disappears altogether... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes, do! The Bananas are getting sick of me hitting the 'replay' button!

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness you provided links and "charming vignettes" .Otherwise, I'd be completely up that famous creek!
    Now, I shall do something about breakfast and then come back for a wallow....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I'm not sure that I like the proximity of that famous creek and your wallow...

      Delete
  3. Oh I did enoy my trip down your memory lane.
    Loved Lady Button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Button is always good for a laugh. And a scolding, so no slouching down memory lane!

      Delete
  4. I love Ghosts, I quite like the American version of it too, you get more episodes per series, one of the Ghosts got 'sucked off' in the last episode of the series and I've been on tenterhooks ever since. I remember Martha/Fanny and a few other cast members of Ghost from Yonderland that was on a few years ago. I will definitely be paying a visit to Waterstones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up on the US Ghosts after the first ep, but maybe I should give it another chance? And I want to watch Yonderland, but haven't got around to it yet.
      Btw, the Ghosts book is £16.99 online at Waterstones at the mo, so if you go into the shop make sure they don't charge you the full £20 like they almost did with me!

      Delete
  5. Yes, it's I. I'm not at home at the moment, using ipad very hit and miss and it keeps underlining my words, just like teacher used to do at junior school with red ink. Hardly fills you with confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All this and me meanwhile the Tricking Green Elf Shorts is under way eith two post!!!! Janie done proud over those dirty rags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have always felt Witches Of Eastwick an incredibly flawed film. Watched the off-broadway The Show Goes Wrong... in New York, the first half I felt was community theatre, then I had a gin during intermission, came back for the second half and laughed my azz off. Love the filmed versions. I'll take Goldfrapp in any form, Kylie had a great year. You know... I have mixed emotions about Cliff Richards. I adored his albums on the Rocket label and his early 80's EMI stuff. He didn't become a bore until late in his career... well, I suppose I should do my research, for I feel I don't know the whole story - but it's an odd feeling when you like someone's music, but everyone tells you that you shouldn't like them. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only recently discovered that "The Play That Goes Wrong" (and later shows) toured North America - I haven't seen it myself, I'm sorry to say (only the televised plays/shows).
      I do recall enjoying some of Cliff Richards' 80s music when I was a kid, but then it turned into the once-a-year mushy/cringey Christmas crap so I checked out.

      I'm curious as to what you find flawed with The Witches of Eastwick? I've watched it far too many times to look at it objectively, now.

      Delete
  8. I do love to see the various Christmas traditions from around the world.
    I hope you win Mr De. I would love to see a photo of you wearing a pair of green elf shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already won those infernal things twice, Madam A - I don't want them again! (Although, this pair is cloned from the original which is still - I hope - imprisoned in a jar in Australia, courtesy of Princess.)
      If you click my FGES label/tag you'll come across two or three photos of me wearing said 'Shorts. Unfortunately.

      (I'm guessing this comment was meant for the next post?)

      Delete
  9. Funny enough, I've been thinking about rewatching the Secret of NIMH lately! How do you like that!

    I'm sure I've mentioned before how much The Witches of Eastwick is very similar to the dynamics of me and my two friends. I'm always the cynical, practical one of course. Kris gets us into the mess, Anna somehow manages to make it way worse, and then I'd have to figure our way out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And have you watched it in the last couple of days? I hadn't seen it in YEARS before this most recent re-watch, and although quite enchanting with some lovely animation, The Secret of NIMH was better in my memory (as most old films and things are). I hope you still enjoy it!

      I don't think I've seen you mention your WoE dynamic before? It must make for some 'interesting' times.

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?