Thursday 8 October 2020

"I don't think that's a tower full of cows..."

 After the Garden Photos Event announcement and various Star Trek-related scribbles, sketches, and photo-comics, I thought it was time to get back to a post full of photographs.  And, unlike many photos displayed here over the past few years, you may be surprised to discover that some of them are of subject matter never before seen on this blog!

 First of the unseen-til-now is the lake at Felbrigg.  I was dragged across fields and countryside by my sister, Inexcuseable, her husband, and Count Podgkinson (although he spent quite a lot of time in his pushchair... lucky sod), on a boiling hot day back in mid-September.  It was all right, I suppose...


There were cormorants!
(Sorry for the blurry photo - this is an incredibly zoomed in shot of them in a tree across the lake)

A lovely red dragonfly.  At least I think it's red.  Could be brown.  Or green.
Stupid colourblindness.

And a speckled wood butterfly (not a ringlet as the photo is named).

::

 The following day I took a trip back to Little Broad in Frogshall (last seen here), where more speckled woods abounded.  Unsurprisingly, the sluice gate was still there, as were the family of swans - this time upending as they searched for food.






This tree on the edge of the Fox Hills woods caught my eye as the lichen and bark patterns very much reminded me of Bill Watterson's trees in his Calvin and Hobbes comic strips.

::

 This beach photo on the left is from what I should think will be my penultimate sea swim of the season on 21st September (I very much doubt I'll take another dip until next summer). 

 And the stone and glass spiral below is from the final sea swim a day later.

::

 Finally, from 24th September are these photos from Norwich - the first time I'd been to Norfolk's Fine City since the end of March.  No, I hadn't gone back to work (still working from home), I made the trip to Norwich because Car needed a new exhaust pipe amongst other bits and bobs.  While I was waiting for Car to be sorted out, I had a wander around Catton Park which is opposite where I used to live with SP a decade or so ago, and where we walked Moom.  The photo below is SP's memorial bench, and the one below that is the view out over the park from the bench's vantage point.


As I could only wander around the park for so long, I sauntered into the city to get some art supplies that are unavailable in Cromer, then walked back along the River Wensum, passing the Cow Tower.



  And that's it.  I haven't really done much since the end of September except watch telly (currently re-watching Misfits - currently on the fifth and final series).

18 comments:

  1. So why is it called Cow Tower if cows don’t live there? Hmmm?
    I’m pleased you got out and about and took in some fresh scenery. Now then.... you want lush green pictures don’t you? I must put this on my list.... or maybe I could cheat and borrow some pics from Jon.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hands off, young lady! It's your pink bush or nothing... Jx

      Delete
    2. I'm so disappointed that the Cow Tower isn't named after actual cows.

      It's interesting, nonetheless!

      Delete
    3. I think some cows built it? Or at least were architectural consultants... There certainly weren't any cow horticulturalists as the area is devoid of Big Pink Bushes.

      Delete
    4. I guess it's a moooooot point.

      Delete
  2. So many new things here, all at once - a colour-blind graphic artist? Who was SP? Why are cows and towers a thing? [Aaaah, Norwich. It probably answers itself, really.] Is that body of water called "Swan's Arse Pond"?

    Lovely photos, as always. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So mnay questions all at once! I have been known to colour in a bush-baby green rather than brown. SP (Sex Pest) was my partner. The cows of Norwich are famous for their architectural knowledge (well, their fame doesn't extend out of Norfolk's boundaries). And that "pond" should be named that as it's in the swan's arse of nowhere!

      Delete
  3. I liked and would enjoy any of these locales. I especially liked the swans as I didn't see one this whole summer. But that last is very reminiscent of something I'd see here in Doylestown. Now I must get my few photos reach to send to you for the garden event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A swanless summer?!? It beggars belief!

      My in-box is ready and awaiting your goods!

      Delete
  4. What cannot be specified? There is a similar tower near to where I live with cows, called black mill situated on Beverley Westwood (when Dame Maureen Lipman was starting out she considered changing her name to Beverley Westwood) it's a picturesque picnic spot during the day and at night its a mecca with doggers and other degenerates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what cannot be specified? Oh, gods, I've missed something in my own post, haven't I?
      I'm sure the cows who designed the Beverley Westwood tower must be spinning in their graves at their legacy's nightlife...

      P.S. I'm not sure I could take BT seriously if it was Beverley Westwood doing those ads?

      Delete
  5. I'll sort out some Drag Queens for you later today.
    But I'll be struggling to compete with Bovine Arhitecture and Swan's Arse Water Features...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My in-box is bereft of Drag Queens. Have they ensnared you in their tendrils, Dinahmow? Or are you just putting the finishing touches to some concrete cows and/or spurting swan sculpture?

      Delete
  6. I'm a little torn here, because I was convinced there was a dolphin behind the swan. However I am sorry to hear that sex pest is deceased. Even more torn because pests can be pests thus leading to mixed emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Now I see the dolphin, too! Who knew swans were such masterful impressionists?

      As for SP, he departed this mortal coil more than seven years ago now. He'd better be getting some wherever he is now...

      Delete
  7. I saw three cormorants on a rock sunning themselves with outstretched wings when my grandson and I went kayaking. I was shocked, because I did not know we had them here. I thought they were a seabird. Live and learn, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Debby! I know what you mean, I'm so used to seeing them on the beach here, that it's always a surprise to find them inland at lakes and rivers.

      Delete
  8. Norfolk cows are far more ingenious then their Devonshire brethren (sisterhen ?). All ours do is make milk and of course Cow Pats

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?