Saturday 15 June 2019

Ow! My Groyne!


 Well, it's the end of the line for the End-of-the-Line, unfortunately.  The sun has set on this particular subject as its taken a pounding like no other, leaving just its severed groyne dangling out into the sea.
 "What's the old Drama Queen going on about?" you may ask.  Well, prepare yourselves.  The following images may be disturbing to those of a sensitive nature...
 Oh, and no cormorants were crushed, or bunnies harmed in the making of this post.

 Unless they were, of course...


End-of-the-Line #1

End-of-the-Line #2

End-of-the-Line #3

End-of-the-Line #4

End-of-the-Line #5

End-of-the-Line #6

End-of-the-Line #7

End-of-the-Line #8

End-of-the-Line #9

End-of-the-Line #10

End-of-the-Line #11

End-of-the-Line #12

End-of-the-Line #13

 I thought about adding photos from previous posts for a 'before and after' effect, but I can't really be bothered. So, instead, here are a couple of links to recent posts with pre-cliff calamity photos: High Tide at the End-of-the-Line, and Someone is monitoring my groyne.  I've also added a 'groynes' tag, and an 'End-of-the-Line' tag should anyone wish to easily find related previous posts (although, barely anything has been tagged at this point - I need to go through my old posts and do so).
 Oh, and here's a link to a video of the cliff fall as it happened on Wednesday 12th June. It's by Brad Damms, who is something to do with scanLAB groyne monitoring which is why he was there at six in the morning (although, it appears that his video only caught the beginning of the cliff fall - it looks like much more came down afterwards).

 EDIT 11:40 - click here to see more pre-cliff calamity photos (scroll down to the final three photos for similar shots to E-o-t-L #10 & #11)


::

 Just for your peace of mind, here are the sand martin and bunny holes, a little further west (in Overstrand), undisturbed by the avalanche:

Rabbit hole middle left; sand martin holes upper middle right


oOo

 Observant readers/viewers may have noticed that there was rather a nice sunset going on in one or two of the photos above. I shall be publishing more of those photos in the next post.


29 comments:

  1. Holy bejeezlehoop! That was one helluva storm, eben for North Norfolk!
    So glad you and your kin are OK. (And wabbits and martins. It's only a couple of weeks since there was that kerfuffle about the nets!

    Will the Council have a whip round to rebuild the groyne?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it was the rain wot did it. It's been raining non-stop since Sunday night, so the cliffs are absolutely sodden with water. All the extra weight and slipperiness meant the poor cliffs couldn't hold themselves together any more.

      I believe the council are encouraging school children to make new sea defences from lollypop sticks during art classes. I'm not sure how successful they'll be...

      Delete
  2. Bit of an 'oops' moment in the groyne area. It happens to us all eventually.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the poor cliff has got to that age when it just can't hold its gut in any longer, so it's burst out creating a FUPA that is overlapping the groyne...

      Delete
  3. I did think of you when I saw this on the news. And I thought of you again when I heard the new Devine Comedy track on the radio this morning! What is this, some kind of witchcraft whereby you infiltrate thoughts???
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, new Divine Comedy track?? I shall have to search it out. Thank you!

      As to the thinking, I think it may because I let my mind wander...

      Delete
    2. Norma and Norman got married in Cromer!!! And then got double pneumonia when they returned for a holiday...
      This really reminded me of a Victoria Wood song (mostly the Ballard of Barry and Freda) - even the way Neil Hannant kept moving his head in the video.

      Delete
    3. You see! With this track it's a double reminder!
      Yes - it reminds me of a novel, I want to know more about Norman and Norma.
      Sx

      Delete
    4. I've just listened to it again, and it also reminds me of "Lady of a Certain Age" and "Come Home Billy Bird". Which I am now going off to listen to. I hope you remember which novel it reminds you of.

      Delete
  4. *Divine. Tut. I've written 'Mr Devine' so many times that I've forgotten how to spell correctly. Obviously you are not having problems with your spells.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps Neil Hannant should change the name to Devine Comedy to solve this problem? I think it's the least he could do.

      Delete
    2. He might even add a "t" to his name in your honour :-)

      Jx

      Delete
    3. Oh, dear. I got this wrong the other day at work, too. I always think of Neil Tennant when I'm writing/saying Neil Hannon.
      It's his own fault for collaborating with Neil Tennant in Robbie Williams' "No Regrets".

      Delete
  5. Upsalla ... Oh dear, the kingdom IS crumbling away !
    In one or two scenes the floating earth looks a bit like water, or at least a fluid rushing downhill. I think such a thing happens without much forewarning, when it's too heavy it slips, no creaking noises before, no shaking, no ash plume ... I hope you keep a healthy distance to the porous cliff on your meandering wanderings. And Hexenhäusli is hopefully far enough inland too so that you'll not have a sliding visit to Martin Rabbit in the (near) future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Mr Mago, parts of the cliff fall happen extremely quickly (and the effluvia [probably not the right word] acts just like a liquid). I don't know if you saw the video, but there's a bit right at the end where the sand/clay/mud rushes across the sand frighteningly fast.
      I've just got back from a wander along the cliff top (keeping my distance from the edge, of course), and I'm happy to report that none of the cliff top has actually fallen (yet). It just seems to be some bits that were sticking out about halfway up/down. Hexenhäusli DeVice is safe. For now!

      Delete
  6. Your poor groyne! Isn't Sidestrand landslide difficult to say? No wonder you move house every six months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All this moving is in practice for the big one, when the sea will claim land as far in as Birmingham. We could be neighbours!

      Delete
  7. Your poor groyne! Isn't Sidestrand landslide difficult to say? No wonder you move house every six months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sidestrand landslide" It is difficult - No wonder you tried it twice!

      Delete
  8. That's IT!!!!! The end of the line for you my pretty.

    They are all interesting a pretty pictures though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear. It is terrible when your fusty old groyne gets covered in effluvia... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My bent coat-hanger does not reach far enough to pick up your radio signal so a link would be 'preciated. Ta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold on Caller, another signal is coming in...

      Delete
  11. Is this what you're laughing at? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFu_ZvnwjuY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Yes, that's it: The Divine Comedy's Norman and Norma.
      Apologies for the lack of links - we will do better next time.

      Delete
    2. I was just going to click on the link, and... Michael Ball started playing it on his Radio 2 show! Spooky. Jx

      PS Typical Divine Comedy - they are BritPop's answer to Victoria Wood!

      Delete
    3. I would like to claim that I used my insidious mind control powers to force Michael Ball to play that track for you, but at the time, I was completely oblivious, mucking about on the beach!

      It's probably a good job Victoria Wood didn't release singles etc, as I'm sure "The Ballard of Barry and Freda" would still be at number one!

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?