Friday 22 June 2018

Starships and Cygnets


 I walk past Waterstones (a bookshop) on my way into work, and they usually have some sort of window display for a featured book.  This month I was pleasantly surprised to see the Wayfarer from Becky Chambers' absolutely splendid The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet (as read here, here but not here) taking centre stage.
  While not quite as I imagined it, the Wayfarer is at least recognisable with its tunnelling bore (the drill-like silver pointy thing hanging from the bottom), and the "fishbowl" (the clear dome that houses the garden and kitchen).
  As you can see, Becky Chambers is coming to Waterstones in Norwich on the 26th July as part of a publicity tour for her new book Record Of A Spaceborn Few which is published next month.  I can hardly wait!!!!


::


 And now for the cygnets that I promised Mistress Maddie:
 These photos were taken from the Blackfriars Bridge in Norwich (aka St George's Bridge) next to the art school that I attended in my yoof.   

I watched the pair of Mute Swans and their seven cygnets glide towards me on Monday, only thinking to get Phone out to take a photo after they'd passed under the bridge! 

This photo (and the following two) were taken on Wednesday morning with the swans gliding the other way.

The seven cygnets were cheeping away constantly.  I think mum and dad must have corks in their ears!

Here they are having just emerged from under the bridge.


::

 Have any of you walked past anything of note recently?

 Chalk beds up next.  Possibly.  It depends on how distracted I get with Ms Scarlet's "exciting new series of posts" that she slaps up!


16 comments:

  1. You know full well that Waterstones long ago ceased to be a bookshop and became a Retail Experience!
    I haven't seen cygnets here but did walk past some hot bits of rough this afternoon. Was that the sort of thing you had in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. * hangs head in shame *

      Yes, I did know about the Retail Experience. Sorry. If it helps, I barely ever go in there.

      Hot bits of rough? Photos, please!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I think I'll stick with canned tuna - at least it doesn't try and peck your head off!

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I notice that one little cygnet in the last two fotos doesn't stay in line and seems to do his own thing, forging his own path. I'm betting that's the black sheep/swan in the family. That swan is a maverick!

    I have not passed by any interesting things on my run or stroll in the area. There's a lot of construction going on next door. Unfortunately, it's a new car lot, for selling used cars. I mourn the grove and wildflowers that were removed from the empty lot to build this eyesore. I did happen upon someone laying on the side walk this morning. I thought he might need help. Turns out, he was just drunk and wanted to be left alone to nap on the sidewalk. So I let him be. Distressingly, it smelled like he had peed his pants and had dried vomit on his shirt. Must've been some party he had. He was gone when I got home this evening.

    The author of one of your fave books coming to your town soon is pretty exciting! I hope you enjoy the event. Here's to wishing that you don't come across any filthy drunks on your nature strolls! And if you do, take some nice fotos!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maverick the cygnet needs a little goose friend!

      Waterstones' doorway is a favoured sleeping spot for Norwich's homeless, funnily enough. There's usually two or three people huddled up in their sleeping bags snoring their heads off when I walk past at 7ish in the morning.
      I don't know if I'm going to go on the 26th - I wouldn't know what to say (if anything), and it would mean travelling to Norwich on a weekend. I dislike leaving my garden of a weekend, nevermind leave the village!

      Delete
  4. "The seven cygnets were cheeping away constantly"

    Given the big waterway and their tiny feet, they probably were saying "are we there yet?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right. Their little feet were going nineteen to the dozen as mum and dad lazily glided along.

      Delete
  5. I adore swans...my favorite water fowl. The chirping is all too familiar as the geese we had here was constant chirping too. It does sound cute, but then again Im not raising them. Here it's against the law to kill or harass swans, and comes with stiff penalties. I may see some swan myself tomorrow if the weather stay nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swans are so majestic (when they're not attacking, that is). I love seeing them floating about on the rivers, or flying overhead.
      Which reminds me, the boy who sits next to me at work said he saw a swan in the middle of the road the other day. I said it probably landed there because the road may have looked like a river. He said "Landed? Swans can fly?!?". I just rolled my eyes.

      I hope you get lucky today!

      Delete
    2. I sure hope the lad was at least cute?

      Delete
    3. Thankfully, he does as least have looks on his side!

      Delete
  6. Yesterday I had delivered the last of my passengers to his family in a little village, and because I was driving alone, I could spent some time there. They have a tiny rosegarden, really delicious.
    And, because I am a friendly man, the boy's grandmother opened the community hall for me, so that I could visit a little exhibition about the village history, she had put it together. I liked to be there in this village very well. No swans, but swallows, some cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind to open the hall for you. Your own private showing! I bet the scent of the roses was heavenly? I've got a clmbing rose on one side of Chateau DeVice's front door, and a lovely red shrub rose on the other - the scent is divine!

      Delete
  7. Have any of you walked past anything of note recently? Are you psychic???? Are you a witch or something???? Oh....
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?