Thursday 28 June 2018

Kelly Watch The Stars


 Last Friday night I broke with tradition and went out.  And didn't get back to the comforting embrace of Château DeVice and into bed until almost the Witching Hour!
 Have no fear, though.  I wasn't out on the lash or terrorising the neighbourhood as I might once have done in my yoof.  No, making the most of the first clear late evening/early night sky in what feels like months, I wandered up Madam's Lane (not a euphemism) with Camera and took some photos as the stars came out.
 As it was too dark to use Camera's panoramic function, I had to resort to sticking two photos together to get these wider shots spanning two compass points.  Apologies for the rather noticeable join lines - I'm sure there must be some sort of software for smoothing them out, but that would entail me knowing about such things and being able to use it!  Oh, and another thing: apart from the labelled photos, I haven't engaged in any editing/brightening jiggery-pokery with these images - they are just as they came out of Camera (which is why the stars are so dim).

From left to right, this is the view West to North at just gone 10pm (not long after the sun had set).  As there was still plenty of light, I only set Camera's exposure time to 15 seconds rather than the usual 30 for night sky shots.


Above we have the view East to South over the fields. Delphinus is slap bang in the middle of the left side, but so faint as to be barely noticeable. Altair, the primary star of the constellation Aquila however, is very noticeable right in the centre of the whole image.



This is South to West with the constellation Scorpius rising behind the transmitter tower, Jupiter (the bright dot left of and below the Moon), with Virgo and Leo in the right of this image.  You may be unsurprised to know that there is a NIghtship stop just up the lane from the tower.


And here we are at 10:20pm back at the West to North view.  The bright light just to the left of the join line is Cromer Lighthouse, and a little higher and further left (above the edge of the 'W' cut-out in the trees) is Venus.


Looking straight up, these are the highest ranking Bayer designated stars of the visible portions of their respective constellations.


This shot South over the transmitter tower at 10:40 pm is labelled with the Bayer Alpha stars, plus Saturn and Jupiter.


This final view North has Auriga dead centre just above the clouded horizon, with Perseus to the right, Cromer Lighthouse and Venus (about to duck behind the trees) on the left, with Ursa Major hovering over them at the top of the image.
EDIT 20:00 29/06/2018: Something I neglected to mention originally (which Dinahmow queried and Eros answered - someone's been paying attention) is that beneath those clouds is the North Sea, and all those dim orange lights along the horizon are the windfarms, while the brighter ones are ships and rigs. 

::

The post title is, of course, the title of Air's Kelly Watch The Stars from 1998.  In yet another break with tradition, instead of posting the official video, I have plumped for this live version from 2007.  Enjoy (if French electronica is your thing)!




12 comments:

  1. Astonishingly beautiful camera work! I especially like the third pix. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, the good old Moon outshining the stars as usual!

      P.S. Thanks for the praise, but other than deciding on where to point Camera and pressing a few buttons, Camera did all of the "heavy lifting".

      Delete
  2. You and Camera work well together.
    I need to know...if that's Cromer light on the left, where are all the lights that stretch across to the RH side? Maybe it's still Cromer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I forgot to put in an explanation about them (I've done it now, although Eros has kindly answered this one) - the lights along the horizon belong to Sheringham Shoal Off Shore Wind Farm, a few ships and rigs and the like, and Dudgeon Off Shore Wind Farm.

      Delete
  3. Madam's Lane lol.
    Madam's Field.
    Madam's Barn.
    Madam's Milking Shed.
    The country is just one big knocking shop, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to find our entertainment where we can!

      Delete
  4. Awesome night shots, and great labeling work. Thuban! The star of the planet where those darn cats come from! I like the visible stitch line in the middle of the pictures. It looks as if I'm flipping through a fancy coffee table foto book.

    I was distracted by the large erection in the bottom right of the second foto. I thought: Is that the signpost for Madam's Lane? Then I read the caption of the third foto where it was explained as the transmission tower. I'm sure plenty of transmissions (and emissions) have taken place there in the dark, especially in a spot called Madam's Lane.

    I'm guessing the lights on the right side of the last foto are from the offshore wind farm/secret gov't base, or a fleet of alien ships, or the underwater city of Atlantis.

    Great captures of the clear night skies. If I go out now at night, the only thing I'll capture are welts from large mosquito bites. Enjoy the lovely weather and skies!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! A coffee table book - that gives me an idea (that will languish away to nothing, probably)! And, you're really playing your nerd card - I remember that Futurama ep, but didn't realise/remember those cats were from Thuban 9 - Bravo! Perhaps you can use your card to swat those voracious mosquitos?

      Thanks for answering Dinahmow's question - your first guess is correct! The following three guesses may also be correct...

      Delete
  5. I recognised Air because of The Virgin Suicides.... I love that one!
    Mr Swings!! As if Mr Devine would have any truck with large erections close to Madam's Lane!!!
    I need my smelling salts....
    Also,I don't have my brightness turned up enough to fully appreciate what's going on.... both on my screen and in my brain.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the Virgin Suicides soundtrack but I haven't seen the film. Perhaps I should?

      Notice how I deftly ignored Mr Swings' slight upon Overstrand's environs?

      *hastily boil washes emission-smeared under-garments while darning rips and tears in outer-garments caused by "inadvertently" rubbing up against large erections while manhandling my tripod*

      These photos can be a bit hit or miss depending upon one's viewing conditions: a bright screen and dark surrounding seem to help me.

      Delete
    2. In the 90s I used to wear torn jeans for greater convenience when I rubbed up against an erection!

      Delete
    3. Ah, so that was the point of holey jean!

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?