Monday 7 May 2018

Bank Holiday Blossoms, Birds and Boats


Bramley apple blossom
  Perhaps we were a little overdramatic yesterday?  After this morning's wander about in the sunshine, I escaped to the coolness of the château and set to sorting out the overwhelming amount of photos I've taken.  Except that there weren't that many, after all.
  I can vaguely remember pointing Camera at various views but not pressing the button as they were the same old views seen here a thousand times before.  Hooray!
  Anyway, here are three days worth of photos.  And only sixteen of them.  Can you imagine?!


Saturday, 5th May 

The slapdash and rickety steps down the cliff to the promenade behind Château DeVice
(as mentioned here - second photo down)


This may look like high tide, but it can rise another metre or so
(that's the promenade behind those railings on the left)

I sat on the edge facing East, dangling my feet into the cold sea to take this photo

You might recognise the skeletal remains of this revetment from these foggy photos

This photo was taken by accident when I caught a faceful of white spray from this groyne as I wasn't paying attention

A little further along and things were much calmer.  No facefulls of moist, white ejecta here!

No cormorants - just a couple of seagulls enjoying the view

::

Sunday, 6th May

Birds on a wire - The swallows have arrived from Africa

View from the bottom of the allotment - which is mainly fruit trees (apple, pear, plum and cherry)
with some currant bushes, raspberry canes, and blackberries. 

Pear blossom - of which you can see more at Mago's

Apple blossom - which smells heavenly

More of the allotment, looking back from about halfway up.
There are a few potatoes in those beds on the right

::

Today: Monday, 7th May

A slightly hazy, and extremely calm early morning sea

A crab fisherman

And, to finish off, a lovely shot of a couple of big groynes!


22 comments:

  1. Blimey! Beautifully bests Buffett's boffo Boats, Beaches, Bars & Ballads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you. But it may be shown up by Ships, Shores, Shaloons (drunken slur) & Shanties?

      Delete
  2. I miss my orange blossom... I loved the smell of it, like bubblegum.
    Yay for the Swallows!!! Hopefully they'll clear up the remaining St Mark's flies which are dangling over our lanes.
    Lovely photos, Mr Devine - I hope you remembered to Slip, Slap, Slop?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did remember Slip, Slap, Slop! Well, on Monday, anyway...
      Oh, so that's what they're called?! I knew just which flies you meant by your use of the word "dangling" (I wikia'd them to make sure), but I didn't know that was their name. Those flies are so annoying.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of allotments that y'all have over there! Seems a few cities here in America have them, but it seems no where near the y'all do! I love all your photos! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We even have allotments in Birmingham. Don't tell IVD, he thinks the place is just an interchange!

      Delete
    2. Allotments seem to be a very British thing, even though other countries have them. While traditionally used to grow fruit and vegetables, the allotments in Birmingham grow concrete and tarmac.

      Delete
  4. I'm really very concerned about your safety. What with the collapsing cliffs and the state of those steps, your home environment is a death trap.
    How do you know the fisherman has crabs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all have crabs around here. Must be something in the water...

      As for the environment around here; it was at an all time low this weekend: Too many "forners" (i.e. Not From Norfolk) - at least two of whom had Brummie accents. I was nearly sick.

      Delete
    2. Honestly you can do one with your mithering, it's being in the country has sent you yampy!
      It was black over Bill's mom's today, which was a welcome relief after yesterday.

      Delete
    3. Ee! I've not heard 'mithering' for yonks.

      Delete
    4. Except for the "mithering"*, I have no idea what you're on about! Bloody forners...

      Because I mither (as in pester, rather than moan) Cedplop every time I see him. The little git.

      Delete
    5. I'm ringing the RSPCA. That poor puss.

      Delete
    6. Cedplop loves it! Why, only yesterday I went round there (Inexcuseable's) and Cedplop ran over for a mithering. Even when I put him down (on the floor, not death), he hung around like a bad smell wanting more.

      Delete
  5. The prof's family has a beach hut.....it's a delightfully English experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like emptying a car-load of things-that-may-be-useful-at-the-beach into one's beach hut a the start of summer, then remembering where one put the can opener while watching one's beach hut get smashed to smithereens in a winter storm on the news! (the beach huts around here don't have very long lives...)

      I hope this didn't happen to The Prof's?

      Delete
  6. Oh! You have a Bramley? Cherish it. Bloody Common Market almost did for the Bramleys with their insistence on Golden Delicious for everything!

    Fabulous pics.I think I could live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuk. Golden Delicious are so insipid.
      The Bramley tree blew over in one of last year's storms, but the Brother-in-Law propped it up again and it seems fine!

      There's room for a put-you-up bed in the allotment shed...

      Delete
  7. The seascape fotos are neat as always. But I am excited to see your migrant wildlife and the fruitful garden! What lush and thriving plants! And how amazing to see those far flying birds, crossing deserts and seas and mountains to summer in your neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those swallows (and other migrating birds) are quite the adventurers!

      Delete
  8. [off-topic. sorry.]

    "Damn it, Jim, I'm a cowboy not a doctor!" Curley Burne Warlock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Good find. I knew DeForest Kelley was in Westerns, but I'd never seen him in any (I'm not a fan of Westerns - Bonanza, Back to the Future III and Westworld are about as close as I've got).

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?