Saturday 28 August 2010

A matter of time


It was whilst rooting through a box of old toys that I started to contemplate the mechanics of time travel. Plus, I'd just watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home in which Kirk and crew travel back in time in an old Klingon Bird of Prey to bring two humpback whales to their present to save Earth from the deadly transmissions of an orbiting probe.

Time travel, you see, is like travelling through a Slinky. When one enters the time stream, the most probable timeline spirals away directly ahead. However, glance left or right, up or down, and one can - somewhat nauseatingly - observe other less probable timelines branching of the main line. The further away from dead ahead one looks, the more peculiar - and nauseating the experience - will be.

Try not to lose your balance and fall in, though, as it's a bugger attempting to get back to where you entered. Oh, and try not to vomit, too, as Temporal Puke is a sod to clear up as it spreads rapidly down the spirals.


8 comments:

  1. I gave up on the time travel lark a long time ago - after losing my luggage on a couple of occasions.

    You have no idea what it's like to finally recover your suitcases to find the used socks and pants are 26,000 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew. I don't think I'd want to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get motion sick; seasick the entire four years in the Navy. I am wondering how long I would have to be in that time tube as I would like to go back in time and tell myself not to join the Navy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto for motion sickness. Thanks for the advance warning - I'll be sure not to time travel now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whatever are y'all smokin, sugar and can y'all send me some? ;~) xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what to say, so I'll bother you with my current issues.

    Today was spent on the sofa and I slept through most of it (including Serenity, that movie with Nathan Fillum) and then I woke up feeling really tired so I went to bed. And now what feels like hours later, I'm still wide awake and starving.

    Can you or time travel help me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never been this much awake in my life!

    How do I summon the time travel slinky?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll stick to the Tardis. The Doctor usually has some eyecandy to keep my eyes occupied and distract me from the spirals...although, most trips with the Dr ends up with someone trying to wipe us out...perhaps I'll hitch a ride on a DeLorean instead.

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?