Saturday 23 March 2024

A Turn Around the Grounds


 I had intended to do some gardening today, but the West Wind is bitter (and, as I type this, it has just rained), so instead of getting cold and mucky outside, I have sorted out some photos from yesterday's turn around the grounds. 
 Above, the daffodils I planted on the embankment behind Hexenhäusli Device when we first moved in are in full force.  And below, my shade garden behind the garage has been brightened by blooms:


 There have been some changes since this time last year: I moved the pheasant berry/Himalayan honeysuckle (Lycesteria formosa) from its pot next to the table into the ground next to the square compost heap (you can see its tall, dark red stems at the back right of the photo above).  In its place I put the chocolate vine (Akebia quinata) which is going great guns and competing with the Pyracantha (behind the pheasant berry).  It's also flowering, as you can see on the right.
 My latest purchase is the black cherry plum (Prunus cerasifera 'Nigra') with the pink blossoms below.  I have fond memories of the one next to the paysho of the home I shared with SP (click here and scroll down to just past the Terrifying Tapeworm), and have wanted one for ages.  I'm entirely sure where I'm going to put this one, so it'll stay on the table for now.



I can't remember what was originally growing in this pot on the shelf above the table, but now there are wild violets.  And sycamore seedlings (bloody "weed trees" as Jon accurately dubs them) - they are EVERYWHERE!


The fawn lily (Erythronium californicum 'White Beauty' - mistakenly identified as a dog's tooth violet in previous posts) is doing VERY well in its small, rectangular prison.  I've been meaning to repot it for years but haven't got around to it - just as well, it seems.


The wild strawberry is blooming already


Some sort of lungwort (Pulmonaria)


I can't remember how long this Acer has spent cooped up in its tiny, shallow pot, but it's been at least 10 years - probably longer.  I'm sure I had it when I was with SP, and maybe up my old back passage (the tree is not in these photos, but the pot may be).


Some irises that a friend gave me after I helped her divide her overgrown clump last summer.


Pineapple lily (Eucomis comosa "Sparkling Burgundy") with three offshoots.


This leopardplant (Ligularia przewalskii, top) really needs moving forward as it's a bit squashed between a laurel and lilac.  Fortunately, it has self-seeded (middle and bottom), so if I forget (i.e. can't be bothered) at least the young ones should flourish.


This Chinese rice-paper plant (Tetrapanax papyrifer) was a gift from a neighbour.


The pond with a Bitey-thwarting (mostly) grid covering the frogspawn (which he tries to pull out)


Who's been "helping" to dig up the garden?!?!


No, he didn't bite these rosemary branches off himself (although I wouldn't put it past him), The Mother had been doing some pruning.


The lawn seems to be more sycamore seedlings than grass at the mo.
They'll all perish when I get the lawn mower out, though!


Gah!  They're even growing in the nooks & crannies of this Cordyline!


An arial view of Hexenhäusli Device's South Garden repleat with holes, mud, and sycamore seedlings.
 
 
 So, now that mine's out of the way (for now), how are you all getting on with your own gardens/court yards/window boxes/house plants?  I hope you're planning and planting and photographing already?  After all, The Infomaniac Garden Photos Event is only a little over seven months away!

24 comments:

  1. Still I slow go here. The temps go from warm back into the colder ones again and again. Our forsythia and daffs are about the only color right now...and no working out there today...as heavy rains came in. The only thing I have luck with currently, is getting the growth on the houseboys moving.

    I adore wild violet and it's color. Even they haven't opened here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure administering to your houseboys' sturdy growth will keep you warm in the meantime, Maddie!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! I always love a nose around other men's underplantings...

    It's quite remarkable how fast things are moving on (and how many things are budding or flowering a bit early, such as our brand new Agapanthus), given the fact that to us humans it's still chilly! We too had winds today that could cut with a knife, yet it was really sunny when I lurched out of bed - so I managed to shift a couple of the [previously mentioned over at my blog somewhere] more "thuggish" herbaceous plants out of their shared troughs where they were launching into battle with their neighbours; one went into its own pot, but the other was a self-sown Geranium endressii "Wargrave's Pink" so that's in the bin. (We have that particular brute elsewhere, and it needs to be controlled.) All the frenetic activity came to a premature conclusion, however, when the skies turned black and down came the rain!

    So many of your plants are looking rather fab. We've always loved Erythronium - I've always known them as "dog's-tooth violets" rather than "fawn lilies", but hey ho - and now that the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers are rapidly becoming a woodland thanks to those bastard weed trees [and I sympathise; far too much precious time is taken grubbing those bloody seedlings from all over the sodding place!], we really should try growing some. What we have discovered to our cost, however, is that neither Irises nor, it would appear, Euconium like our garden.

    Love to Bitey! {Hope you're not planning to plant anything delicate - now, or any time in the future. It wouldn't stand a chance.) Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never remember "fawn lilies" so I'm with you and will stick to "dog's-tooth violets". Which reminds me, I counted 9 or 10 flower buds on mine earlier - not bad considering the neglect it puts up with. I just hope Bitey doesn't decide to take an interest...
      (You should definitely get some. I think they'll do really well at yours - even in the Back Field)

      Delete
  3. I had a potter behind the summer house early last year and growing in the soilless gravel I saw a beautiful spotted Hosta it was only about 4 inches high, I pulled it out and potted it on so it'll be ready to plant out in the front garden the following spring, I did have suspicions about it, because it had hairy leaves and it wasn't herbaceous and now you've told me its a common lungwort.

    The maid was given a bronze cordyline for a birthday present neither of us like it but are reluctant to get rid of it in case they call round uninvited, but we have got an good excuse now, I can tell them it's been killed by parasitic sycamore seedlings. Perhaps not.

    Love the bonsai Acer I looked at some the other day at the garden centre, going for £140 plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All part of the service, Mitzi! The lungwort will be up and about before any hostas, so the latter can take over from the former later in the season. And you can always take a copy of my cordyline photo and pretend it's one Carmen took to show what happened to her gift (just in case).

      Perhaps I'd better take out some insurance on my Acer!

      Delete
  4. You have such beautiful flowers, invited and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peenee. The uninvited ones always seem to be having a much better time than the invited guests, so I tend to let them get on with it as they liven up the party!

      Delete
  5. How lovely to spend some time in your garden dear.
    It's looking fab and full of promise.
    I love the photo of Bitey looking particularly manic with the Rosemary branch.

    Sycamore seedlings are a curse and were actualy one of 'The ten great plagues of Egypt' along with water turning to blood, frogs and locusts.

    Love your shade garden and we might steal some of your planting ideas, especialy, Erythronium californicum, Akebia quinata and Leycesteria formosa.
    We too have had Viola odorata appear in our garden uninvited but particularly welcome because my Mothers name was Violet.

    So pleased that you managed to get your hot air balloon up to get the arial view.

    Ttfn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rosemary branch kept him entertained for ages, Madam A - and it still is! I've been able to prick out some foxglove seedlings this afternoon while he's been otherwise engaged with Rosemary.

      That sycamore seedlings were (and still are) one of the Great Plagues doesn't surprise me. Bastard things!
      I'm glad you found some ideas for your increasingly shady garden.

      Delete
  6. Oh my word hasn't Bitey made his mark!! My whole garden is dog first, plants second. Luckily Sid is no longer a digger, hopefully Bitey will grow out of it too.
    Sx

    P.S My lawn has been mowed at least once already this year, though considering all the rain and the softness of the ground I'm not sure how we got away with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope Bitey will grow out of it, too. And soon! (He made a start on a lawn hole today, but didn't get very far fortunately).

      I haven't mowed the back yet (too wet), but the front has had a couple of passes over as it has drainage (aka building rubble underneath it).

      Delete
  7. I'm not surprised to see that you have things growing in your nooks and crannies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesterday I was too tired to take pictures of by beautiful begonia blooms in anticipation for this year's Garden Party when this afternoon I discovered that some cheeky bastard (deer) had eaten them all! :( Yours is coming along nicely though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Dratted deer. Although, I'm sure you will have other non-deer demolished blooms for the show, though (no excuses!).

      Delete
  9. The first picture let me automatically switch into the "Spot the Sniper in under three seconds"-mode - these daffodils are suspicious I tell yah ...

    Does Bitey hide things in those holes ? Like those comic-book-dogs who usually dig in gigantic bones ?

    I am not sure what this sycamore is ? Is that what we call a Platane ? But I can not see one around your lovely garden. Confusion, as always when it comes down to plants ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's called Bergahorn in Germany, Mr Mago. Still a bastard. Jx

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the clarification Jon. I never thought about Bergahorn as bastard, in whatever sense.
      As I learned from wiki it is used as "Klangholz", for musical instruments, hard wood used since Olim's days.

      Delete
    3. The deer and foxes lurk amongst the daffodils, dear Mago. And the occasional cat. As you can imagine, Bitey's not too thrilled about the lurking. When he notices it, anyway...

      Speaking of: Yes, he does hide things in the holes. This afternoon he buried a big chew (Hundekauen) in one of the holes that the fruit trees came out of. I expect he'll dig it up at some point tomorrow before moving it to a different hole.

      Delete
  10. Late as usual! But such a joy to see a breath of English Spring. Things should be starting to cool down enough to plant-out some poor things struggling in pots, but we are still running air con and ceiling fans here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I forget you are six months ahead, gardening-wise. I hope things cool down sufficiently soon - and that you have been taking photos (or will do) for the GPE!

      Delete
  11. I trying my hand with the roses which are just starting to blossom around here. They were pruned within an inch of their lives at the beginning of winter and I was almost certain we'd killed them! There might be pictures this year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be photos, Savvy. There WILL be!

      (I am thrilled that you are growing things, and can't wait to see your photos. Do you have anything else on the go apart from the roses?)

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?