Monday 1 April 2024

Stella Botanica

 Have you ever wondered how all those starships and spacecraft in the Star Trek Universe are made?  Well, wonder no longer as I have discovered evidence that is sure to surprise you.  The starships are not painstakingly fabricated on a planet or in orbit, but rather their parts are sustainably harvested from the giant machine lifeforms that grow in the Lightspeed Lagoon Nebula as the following illustration shows:

This botanical illustration must have found its way back in time somehow for me to have discovered it 250 years before it was created.

I know.  Shocking, to say the least!

- - -

 But really, this is just my latest piece for March's Star Trek Fan Art Challenge: "Retro Rockets", as if you hadn't already guessed.
"Everything new is old again! Take inspiration from older art forms, styles and designs to depict Trek tech and scenes. What would a cave painting of first contact with the Vulcans look like? How about a transporter room in an ancient Roman mosaic? Regency-era Borg? Klingons discovering America? Medieval away teams?"

 For the challenge, my original idea was to paint a picture of Kimolu in the Art Nouveau style of Alfons Mucha, but that would have meant buying some new paints (as my old tubes have long since dried up) and doing a lot of practising.  As the month neared its end - putting paid to any practise time - I remembered an idea I had four years ago (?!? How can it have been that long??): Stellar (sic) Botanica:
 
 
 I had grand plans for an ornate and colourful (using watercolour pencil crayons) 17th-19th century style illustration of one of the giant machine plants (and associated "wildlife") from the Lightspeed Lagoon Nebula.  Needless to say, considering the time constraints, those grand plans were whittled down to the simpler and less time consuming inked drawing at the top of this post. 
 (Despite having been on holiday for nearly two weeks, I just never got around to starting anything until yesterday - in part because the weather had been conducive enough to be working up at the allotment instead.)
 
This is the USS Enterprise-A, a Constitution-class starship "made from the Stella Nymphaea constitutio machine plant, two stella anguilliform naceels, and other assorted machine lifeform parts".
 

 To help and guide me in my hasty endeavour, I looked at botanical art & illustrations by the artists Pierre Jean François Turpin, Georg Dionysius Ehret and Maria Sibylla Merian:
 
I based my illustration on Turpin's waterlily, included wildlife as Merian did in some of her art, and labelled it like Ehret's Magnolia

21 comments:

  1. I expect you have several cuttings in your greenhouse, dear... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, but they grow so quickly that I've always got my hands full hardening them off!

      Delete
  2. I never put the two together... and now I can't stop seeing it. Plant life? The alien invasion we never noticed? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous idea, Mr Design, I mean, Mr Devine! That top picture could also be a blueprint for a garden as well though, couldn't it? I fancy having some circular aspects in my outdoor area.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A series of circular payshos, ponds and pots! I don't mind doing the designing, but I'm not doing the hard landscaping!

      Delete
    2. I might have a go!
      Apologies, I am having a nightmare with the Notify Me box - it isn’t working for me, so I am using this comment as a test. I think poor Jon has suffered enough of my whinging this week!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. Damn it. Is everyone else still getting email notifications on this blog post? Why aren’t I???
      Dear Mr Devine, I think you may have to invite me to be a comment subscriber from your settings - I had to do this on my own Blogspot blog to receive comments. It’s crazy.
      Sx

      Delete
    4. Ah, I almost never use the Notify Me thingy, but I have invited you to subscribe (or something). Hopefully it'll work!

      Delete
  4. Have you ever wondered how all those starships and spacecraft in the Star Trek Universe are made?
    No.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the concept and your results, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Savvy. I would have like the results to be rather more detailed - and in colour! - but that's what I get for leaving it to the last moment as usual.

      Delete
  6. So USS Enterprise is a Morchel ? Should be re-named Morchella then.
    Throw in some Heteroptera just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's a waterlily, but maybe the Enterprise-C can be some sort of edible fungi? Its saucer section does look like a big mushroom cap!

      Oh, I should have included some of the insects in this post!

      Delete
  7. I love this so much! I'm always saying we need more nature in our technology, not more technology in our nature! I dub thee a Nature-Led Art Docent! I want more! More, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Melanie! And be careful what you wish for - my brain is already swirling with ideas!

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear that your 'old tubes have dried up'
    Hope you had a nice Holiday
    Ttfn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madam A. Most kind of you to take note.

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?