Sunday 28 August 2022

The Elusive Flotation DeVice



 
 Before rushing out in a 'must-get-pictures-of-paths' related panic yesterday, I popped down to the beach for a swim and to see if I could summon my aquatic alter ego, Flotation DeVice, for Mistress Maddie 
 Quite why Maddie wants to get acquainted with a pallid, gangly Cloverfield-like seamonster is beyond me, but each to their own. 
 Anyway, although FDV did put in an appearance, they ruined it with their squinting-in-the-sun/frowning Sam-the-Eagle face, fortunately!


 So, on to the paths. 

 I had taken a couple of photos earlier in the year that I thought would be suitable for Melanie's August Photo Challenge: Unknown Paths, but I was sure I could come up with something better, so I wandered inland to see what I could find.

 I didn't come up with anything better. 

 Of the few photos I did take, most were washed out and uninteresting, and I only ended up vaguely liking the one above and the one below.

 I did snap this multi-trunked tree on the right, though (as a possibility for Melanie's September challenge).


This was the view west from the path above which bisects the harvested field

And this the view northeast (Look!  You can see the sea!  Just)

I crossed a couple of fields and made my way to the cliff top.
Down there is the End-of-the-Line

And thataway (west) is Overstrand, and home

:  :  :

 This morning, I went down to the beach again for another swim, which means yet more photos.  Ha!

Here are the revetments on Overstrand's east beach.  The photo on the left is what Camera managed with an lense full of sun so I messed around with it when I got home to see if I could make it look more like it actually did.  The photo on the right is as best as I could do (still not bright enough).

The sea was surprisingly rough


At the end of the first section of these revetments is where I swam yesterday, but today I went a little further along as I would have been smashed to smithereens otherwise

See?

Ah.  This is a better swim spot

 Now, who wants to see a shag on a groyne?

 Drat!  Great timing, Flotation DeVice!  That's not quite what we meant.

A groyne

A shag cormorant

Oh, dear...  It's all spiralling out of control...

18 comments:

  1. I'm thinking, would you be up for reacting the famous scene From Here to Eternity? I could grab my square cut and get the redeye....

    Oh yes Melanie I've got to get her some pictures. You're distracting me with your charms. Again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I failed my audition to be Deborah Kerr because I forgot to shave my legs, so I'll have to have a go at being Burt Lancaster (who laughed?!?). I hope you don't mind being manhandled in the waves by something resembling a giant spider-crab from some abyssal trench?

      Delete
  2. Mr DeVice, you are nothing but a shameless trollop! [I ought to know.]

    Nothing but spume, shags, groynes, multi-trunking and unknown-except-on-Squirt.com hidden byways.

    Fetch me the fainting chaise... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, Jon. It's nice to know that, should the need arise for shameless trolloping, I've still got it in me. So to speak...

      Delete
  3. *Averts eyes* As I realise that at least one of these pictures is not for my benefit.
    Meanwhile - I have always thought that sunlight on the ocean is kinda like a path, and I always wonder where it leads.
    I will remember the tree for Melanie - I am probably too late for the path!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear, I'm sorry. It's that dessicated path through the fields, isn't it? No mud!

      Yes, that glinting sunlight trail must lead somewhere. Well, other than to a very hot and crispy death, that is...

      Delete
    2. Ms Scarlet, I was wondering if anyone might get creative with the title "Unknown paths" and do something unique like a sun path or some other form of interpretation. I am a big supporter of all forms of creative expression, so if you have such a picture you are welcome to submit it. Tomorrow (Wednesday) is the last day. I'll be posting them on Thursday.

      Delete
    3. Melanie - You have mail!!
      Sx

      Delete
    4. I was terribly tied-up (ooh -er,missus!) with domestic stuff and missed the cut for Tarzan's back passageway...but I hope to be back on the straight and narrow with a tree or three...

      Delete
    5. Jane? I mean, Lady Greystoke, is that you?!?

      Delete
  4. May I suggest an annual Inexplicable DeVice swimsuit issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will have to come with a complimentary pair of sunglasses and a sick bag!

      Delete
  5. There is a lovely bucolic path just off the A1079 towards Bishop Burton, it's about 25 miles away from the coast and yet for some inexplicable reason some areas are covered in jellyfish I see them in the ferns and dangling from the trees, looking like bizarre lava lamps. I wonder if Chris Packham would be interested in filming for his Nature's Weirdest Events programme, I could arrange to meet him there one evening and show him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very peculiar, Mitzi. Chris Packham certainly isn't afraid to get stuck in, so I'm sure he'll jump at the chance. Why, he may even demonstrate to you how these jellyfish appear in such an odd location!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for posting a reminder about the "Unknown Paths" Photo submissions! I'm happy to say that we received a few, which is such a relief! I'm really not comfortable to play host for events, but I see no other way to make things interactive without extending opportunities for people to participate.

    Ms Scarlet can avert her eyes, but I'm going to unabashedly observe from the sidelines. If it bothers, you feel free to hand me a book as a distraction.

    I like all these pictures, but I especially love the last one! Did you do the design?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very successful endeavour, Melanie, judging from all the entries!

      I did create the stone spiral, yes. There are some more here, here, here, here, and here. Beware that last one though - it's another best observed from the sidelines with those sunglasses and sickbag I mentioned in response to The Very Mistress's comment, above.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous photos, as always. And what an interesting rock sculpture. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, Mr Tonking! I was at a bit of a loose end while drying off in the sun, so I had a quick go at a stone spiral as I had done in previous years - see links in my reply to Melanie, above.

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?