Thursday 25 August 2022

Cloud Mouth

 Under threat of a Sideboard Invasion if I don't make an appearance before Friday, here I am!  (Although, I'm not convinced that the invasion won't go ahead anyway...) 

 I don't have much to say for myselves, so may I present a selection of photographs depicting some of what I have been up to this month: 

From the 3rd . . .

This huge cloud-with-a-mouth loomed over the garden, but moved on when I hid under the trees pointed out that my sister (who lives down the road) has more meat on her bones than me.
 

From the 13th . . .

I popped down to the beach for an early morning swim - the first of the season!
(I had to brighten this photo considerably in order to make it resemble how the beach really looked - Camera didn't like being pointed at the sun, I suppose...)

This photo looking west (away from the sun) didn't need any adjusting

But I did meddle with the brightness of this one in order to see the revetments that run to the End-of-the-Line

A sanderling with summer plumage (winter plumage can be seen here)

Shags Cormorants(!) on the End-of-the-Line

Someone else was out early, sailing into the sun...

From the maker of 'Dream Den' (after clicking, scroll down)


From the 14th . . .

A small blue butterfly (Cupido minimus) on a magnolia leaf

And a close-up to better see it's stripey legs and antennae

Fortunately, the small blue wasn't flying anywhere near this rather pale garden spider (Araneus diadematus) who had spun her web across a path
 
Unfortunately, The Father didn't blunder into the web and get devoured.
Maybe next week?

And a bonus photo:
 
 After months without turning my hand to any Star Trek art - or pretty much any art at all - I crafted this paper & card Uhura for August's art challenge dedicated to Nichelle Nichols, who died at the end of July. 
 I just need to give her a face and that big turquoise ring that Nichelle always wore, then take her out for a photoshoot.


And finally, from the 24th . . .

Harvested from the allotment: Blackberries, European plums, and greengages
(Actually, this photo is of today's haul - the one I took yesterday was all blurry)

The Mother made jam out of the greengages - yum!

.  .  .

 Right.  I'd better do the rounds to see what you've all been up to while I've been lallygagging around.

 

 P.S.  For those of you who want to take part in Melanie's August Photo Challenge: "Unknown Paths", the deadline for submitting your photos is 31st August!  (I definitely hadn't forgotten.  The fact that I'm just going out for a walk with Camera is neither here nor there...)

11 comments:

  1. It's been ages since our last shag, Mr DeVice!

    The beach looks idyllic in the low light (although I could live without that fancy shed-thingy). You are so lucky to have that on your doorstep. Our garden, too, is turning into "The Planet of the Spiders"; every time one walks out the door, it's an obstacle course of almost invisible webs to avoid walking face-first into...

    And that greengage jam is making my mouth water - I assume there's also plum preserve, and blackberry-and-apple pie with custard to look forward to as well? Yum! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than a fleeting dalliance at the beginning of June, we haven't had a shag since Dinah's birthday back in October!

      We've all been avoiding the path so as not to break Charlotte's web. While she would end up in my belly button if I blundered along there, the youngest niece and nephew would get a facefull!

      I've just had a bowl of blackberry & apple crumble, but the big purple plums all got et!

      Delete
  2. I like the fancy shed thingy! It would suit my garden. And I am jealous of the cloud mouth. Some clouds look like they could flatten people.
    Meanwhile, peppermint essential oil - spiders don’t like it - and it’s that time of year when they make themselves at home so I have armed myself in preparation of their invasion.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have a word with Mr Talbot to see if he fancies sending his cockeyed shed on a visit to muddiest Devon.

      I might have to invest in some peppermint oil as the house is slowly being taken over...

      Delete
  3. All those beautiful pictures and not one of your glorious leg(s), as in a swim trunk didn't make the appearance, or even inserted the lovely one from last summer with your floatation device?!?

    I have to go check out Melanie's photo post. How did I miss that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I pop down for a swim I'll see if the legs are up for a photo.

      I'm not asking Flotation DeVice to join us though - bloody show off!

      Delete
  4. It seems like everyone is falling off the face of the Earth. Glad you back with some excellent beach pictures. You and Maddie are making me want to lose the bowtie, for a speedo and had to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've got some more beach/swim photos coming up, so get that Speedo ready!

      Delete
  5. I've never had greengages, I'd love to try one. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE delicious, MrPeenee. They're like a confectionary/dessert all on their own.

      I've just checked Wikipedia, and it seems that although greengages were once grown on the plantations of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson (amongst others), their cultivation in the US has declined since the 18th century. So, it sounds like they may be hard to come by over there?

      Delete
  6. I have never heard of greengages before, but I do love Italian plums. This is a nice collection of photos! The butterfly does not look very blue, but it is still beautiful.

    Your sideboard is safe from me at least until October. I might get impish and try something around then. I like to be my options open to possibilities. I'm an opportunist.

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?