Saturday 9 January 2021

Stay, Destiny Foghorn!

 I've been half-heartedly working on a photo-post on-and-off all day, but my heart just isn't in it, so instead, here is my go at Ms Scarlet's meme: "What was the first vinyl single you ever bought?"

 Well, it was "Stay" by Shakespears Sister back in 1992:

 

 In fact, it was the first and only vinyl record I ever bought.  And the only reason for that is that all the cassette tapes and CDs had sold out (although, I'm not sure that I even had a CD player back then?).

~o~

 On a related note, I really wanted to feature French & Saunders' spoof of "Stay" (and "I Don't Care") "Destiny" by Dickens Daughters (which features in the first episode of their fourth series, "Misery"), but there's no clip on YouTube (however, for those of you in the UK, it is on BBC iPlayer!).

Dickens Daughters (French & Saunders as Shakespears Sister)
Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders as Siobhan Fahey and Marcella Detroit


EDIT: Jon found the clip on DailyMotion:


 So instead (of the clip that wasn't on YT, but is on DM, and can now be found above, meaning that this bit is now surplus to requirements but I'm keeping it as its funny.  Well, I think so anyway...), may I present this exceedingly poor quality, much shorter clip - that I still find pant-wettingly hilarious - from The Mary Whitehouse Experience, performed by David Baddiel and Rob Newman:

 

~o~

Drat!  Perhaps I should have written out this quote for
Ms Scarlet's "Did I Win Yet?" Award/Quiz/Competition/Event thingy?

12 comments:

  1. No. Wait. You bought your first vinyl single in 1992. Did you use a reel to reel tape recorder for music in the preceding decades of your life?
    And, hold on there's something coming through...
    My psychic senses detect a Video 2000 recorder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decades plural??!? Just how old do you think I am?! I only lived through one complete decade prior to 1992. Witchface, on the other hand...

      Delete
  2. I repeat - you're soooo young... Jx

    PS I found the F&S video on DailyMotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7px5cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Jon! I'd forgotten that DailyMotion was a thing. I'll see if I can add it to the post.

      Delete
  3. And I am so000 old! I know F and S, of course, but the rest just sails over my head.And my first record wasn't even vinyl, it was a 7 bakelite.Or whatever they called it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not old. You just had a head-start on life!

      Delete
  4. *Mutters* You'd only lived through one complete decade before 1992????? To be fair, I'd only lived through two, and it doesn't sound so bad put like that!
    Sorry, this has distracted me from the fabulousness of the vinyl you did buy - and from F&S.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think we're on to something with this "complete decade" thing. For example; "Did you know that in 2019, I'd only lived through three complete decades? This means that I'm only in my thirties. Lets say mid-to-late thirties to take into account the year or so from 2019 to now." It works, doesn't it? Despite what Hound has said below...

      As for Shakespears Sister, "Stay" was the only single I bought of theirs even though I much preferred "Goodbye Cruel World" from the same album (and "The Trouble With Andre" which wasn't released asa single).

      Delete
  5. Well if you only lived through one complete decade before 1992 that decade would have been the eighties. The preceding decade was incomplete which can only mean you were born on January 2nd 1970, so are now 51.
    Did I win yet?
    I recently had to complete an online form but it had difficulty with dog years and wouldn't let me put I was 496.
    You are responsible for revivifying my raging crush on Dwayne in Raw Sex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheek! And I was going to say that you don't look a day over 494.

      Dwayne, eh? Even in that half-an-outfit from the "Misery" episode? What am I thinking! Of course in that half-an-outfit...

      Delete
  6. Are we talking about 45's? she asks, swigging her Geritol, checking her glucose index. The first one I bought was 'Age of Aquarius' by the 5th Dimension. Look at you children pissing on about 'decades'. PSHAW.

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?