Sunday 21 January 2018

All of a Flutter

  The temperature has taken a dive since the gale force winds of last week had blown all the insulating clouds away, so it's been a bit nippy here.  In fact, as I sit and type this, a few pathetic snowflakes are falling outside.  Silly sods - It's not quite cold enough here on the coast for all that malarkey.  Although, I gather the rest of the country could tell a different story...
  Anyway, the cold is partly why I spent almost all day yesterday, and most of today indoors mooching around.  I did nip out for a beach walk a little earlier to get some fresh air, but I was only gone for about an hour - And, yes, I did take Camera, so I shall be sharing those photos in an upcoming post.  But first, this one:

  As ordered Inspired by The Very Mistress, may I present Beaky and Friends.  Well, perhaps not "friends" because he doesn't have any.  He spent most of his time chasing off sparrows and robins that had the audacity to land on the paysho in his vicinity - probably because he thought they'd eat all the morsels dropped from the bird feeders above...

  Take a deep breath as there're loads of photos - I was too indecisive to whittle them down to a manageable amount.  I would say sorry, but that'd be a lie!
  First up are the aerobatic house sparrows.  Here goes:
















"Huh?  What's all that racket?  What's going on?"

"Oh, it's just those sparrows pretending to be hummingbirds again.  I'm getting back to my food."

"Hey!  Blue tit!  Make sure you drop plenty of suet for me."

"And me!"

"Those little twits are too annoying.  I'm off!"

"Good riddance!"

"Has that imperialist snob gone?"

"Yep!  More food for us."

"Hmmm...  I'm sure I could manage aerial maneouvres like those house sparrows, too."

"Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!"

"Shit!  Where am I going to land?"

"Move it, Chaffinch!  It's our turn again, now."





"Well, if that Chaffinch can do it, I bet I can, too."

"Yes!"

"Ha!  Did it!  Up yours, sparrows!"

"Oops!  Nearly flew out of shot."

17 comments:

  1. Fabulous! - I swear I could hear David Attenborough's dulcet tones all over this blog. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could capture Sir Attenborough and trap him within Computron, I would. Unfortunately, he's always off gallivanting around the globe to bring us sumptuous televisual viewing!

      Delete
  2. I love this!!! You can "borrow" Attenborough's "Tweet of the Day" title for these posts.

    Beaky's looking rather amiable in these shots but then again, looks are deceiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaky was being a right little bastard yesterday when I took these. Harassing the poor robin and dunnocks, and shrieking to high Heaven! Any time anyone came to the door he let fly with a string of high-pitched expletives not-so-cunningly-disguised as a "delightful" warble.

      Delete
  3. And today was the first day I have yet to see a bird. But a giant red tail hawk has been present all day.......

    Wonderful captures!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A red tail hawk? "Dierdre Chambers! What a coincidence!"

      Aside from that pest, Beaky, these bird pics are inspired by you and your 'Usual Suspects', so thank you!

      Delete
  4. Ooh! Your jasmine is a riot!

    I have hundreds of bees in the Royal Palm flowers.Mostly little black ones, but some metallic blues and stripey-bum bees and bumbles.Oh, a few honey bees, too, but too difficult to get a decent picture.If the wind doesn't go cyclonic I'll try with a big lens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bees! (What witch doesn't?) Some photos would be lovely as long as you don't get whisked to Oz/have a house fall on you. I'm intrigued by your mention of metallic blue bees - we don't have anything like that here, as I'm sure you're aware. Other than Ms Scarlet's blue bottle attacker...

      Delete
    2. Here's a link for a bee http://www.aussiebee.com.au/lestis-bee-dec2012.html
      and a link for a parasitoid wasp http://museum.wa.gov.au/research/collections/terrestrial-zoology/entomology-insect-collection/entomology-factsheets/cuckoo-wasps and a link for one I found last year
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/18554857@N03/27634091515
      Still can't hold the big lens steady enough in the wind.

      Delete
    3. The Carpenter bees are quite cute, if a little blue-bottle like. But, those Cuckoo wasps are definitely not! They look like they're wearing armour (or space suits - are they aliens?). Your find looks like it was caught with it's stinger out!
      Thank you for bringing these to my attention.

      Delete
  5. It's like a fabulous nature aerial show in your garden! What stunning action and spectacular still shots! Thank you for sharing these. I'm glad your birds are so well mannered. The ones that occupy the tree in front of my place are a nuisance. The cold has chased them off, but warm weather will bring them back to the tree...where they wait until I've washed my car then poop on it, right before I have to leave for work. Bastards! It's time to set out more food bowls to attract more stray cats to feed on and chase away these pests. That's nature. The last strays were taken in by people...

    Your flowers are gorgeous! What astounding blooms in winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I never even noticed that the jasmine had begun to bloom until you and Dinahmow pointed it out - I can see a few open flowers just behind and to the left of the bird feeder.

      Perhaps I should get my birds to invite yours to some etiquette lessons, or just have them enrol in my birds' finishing school, before you turn into a mad cat lady? I'm actually quite surprised my car (and the neighbour's - which is the one in the photos) is not covered in bird shit!

      Delete
    2. I honestly believe that birds are smart and vengeful creatures. They don't poop on your car because they know who feeds them. Me? It's payback for feeding stray cats, the birds enemies! I'm caught in between an interspecies gang war!

      Delete
  6. Awwwww.... beautiful pictures, Mr Devine!!
    It is mild here in Devon and has finally stopped raining. I couldn't go out at all on Sunday and today on my jaunt I was attacked by a blue bottle - an early sign of Spring perhaps?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms Scarlet!

      I'm all for Spring, but not an infestation of blue bottles. Blasted things! I'm glad to hear your weather has improved. I trust you didn't get flooded? I saw the floods parts of Devon have suffered on the news earlier.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing those great action shots! And Beaky too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I just hope there weren't too many? I got carried away somewhat as I stood in the kitchen with Camera - it was quite addictive trying to get the different birds and wing positions.

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?