Thursday 16 June 2022

Things That Can Fly...

Can you guess what it is yet?

 As I don't have anything else to post about, here are some photos of flying things that would otherwise languish on my hard drive.  While the cow below may be able to jump over the moon, I'm not convinced that it can actually fly.  Fortunately, there's a pheasant in the lower right corner which meant I can include this photo (it was taken at the beginning of June while I was cat-stting at my sister, Inexcuseable's house while she was away - as were the following three photos).

Moo!  Yes, I love being disturbed at 6:15 in the morning by a cow trying to eat from a bird feeder.

There are three woodpeckers in this photo.
When I took it, I was trying to get a shot of a parent and fledgling in this lilac tree in the back garden.  However, the other parent managed to get in frame unbeknownst to me at the time.

I couldn't get a clear shot of the young one - this is the best I could do.
The adult is now a single parent as Cedplop caught and killed its partner last week, the horrid little git!

Little and Large (goldfinch and wood pigeon)

: : :

This jay is a regular visitor - I think it has young nearby

This magpie also has young in one of the trees on the embankment behind
Hexenhäusli Device, and does not take kindly to the jay
(which will eat chicks and young birds if need be)

The jay was quickly driven off

: : :

 And, finally, for anyone who couldn't guess what the first photo is of, it's a peppered moth's head and antennae.  Here's the rest of it (it's resting on the swing in the back garden):



14 comments:

  1. Excellent photography! Love the moody cows - and the moth (although I have an absolute phobia about the fluffy bastards if they get in the house!).

    Cats are evil. That poor woodpecker family... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better a moth in the house than a cow, methinks?

      Cedric would have got a kick from me if I'd've been there. I told Inexcuseable that she should make him wear a collar with a bell.

      Delete
  2. Might I ask why there are cows on your street???? I love your bird shot. It's always nice to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cows live on and graze the common where my sister lives and are part & parcel of life in her village. I stayed there while she was away which made me thankful that I only have to put up with hedghogs and deer where I live.

      I will try and get some more bird shots to fill in for you until you reestablish a flock of your own.

      Delete
  3. Cows scare me witless, seeing one that close with only that little fence would be horrifying. I would have to make it fly with a cattle prod.
    Actually when we couldn't find our old cat Splodge the Legend, who did actually once attack a cow, mother used to pop over the road because he had a habit of having a nap reclining on their bird table!
    I'm afraid I don't think I'll be joining in the garden competition. Not because I couldn't squeeze out another effort, but I seem to be running out of drag queens to poison and I don't think anyone has the sausage up Broad Street broad mindedness that you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cows, but I must admit they can be somewhat unnerving (and they leave cow pats EVERYWHERE!). I had to shoo one away from the back gate so I could get Car out while I was there - fortunately, it seemed conducive to the flapping of limp wrists and an ineffectual push, and didn't leave me as a bloody smear on the driveway.

      As for the GPE, I'll have some poo-bags on standby in case you do squeeze something out.
      Oh, and I'm not sure how I feel about the connotations of my mind being described in such a manner? I woudn't want anyone thinking that I have an easy and 'experienced' mind...

      Delete
  4. Lovely shots, sweetpea, but I think I've watched far too many British "cozy mysteries" to ever want to live in a village! I am in awe of those who do! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in a British village is a bit different (i.e. less mysterious/dramatic) than it looks on telly.
      For a start, the towns and cities take advantage of our 'tendancies' and ship in their undesirables and criminals. Many don't make it through the first day before they do something to upset the villagers (picking a flower from someone's garden, swearing near the school, cutting in line in the village shop etc.), and then whichever villager is on the murder rota that day offs the newcomer and dumps the body in the murder pit until there are enough for the parish council to send off to be made into fertiliser.

      I'm sure you'll be fine though, Savvy. I'll give you a list of dos and don'ts should you ever change your mind and move here.

      Delete
    2. I think you should do a post about the do's and don'ts of village life. Over the pond, we can only imagine it as we see it on telly, and of course, that's the idealized version.

      Delete
    3. Ooh, now there's an idea. I shall give this some thought...

      Delete
    4. The MITM found a series to watch all about villages called "Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages" and we are loving it! xoxo

      Delete
    5. We loved that series, too, Savvy! No murders in it... Jx

      Delete
  5. Ha! Nice moth - I thought it was a bird of prey - or an alien.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of, a couple of hummingbird hawkmoths visited the garden at the weekend - The Very Mistress thinks they look like aliens. I've got some photos to put up but I've got to get the solstice out of the way first.

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?