Saturday 27 February 2021

Navigating in Not-Wellies

I'm sure Ms Scarlet is tutting and rolling her eyes at my countryside traversing footwear....

  Despite the above - and a couple more muddy scenes further down - I managed to navigate in my Not-Wellies without getting them wet or mucky (at least, no muckier than they already are).  Fortunately - due to a few days without rain - most of the bogs and swamps that pass for tracks and footpaths around here have dried up, leaving only a few lingering patches of mud that were relatively easy to pick my way through/past.

 Yes, the sun was out so I had a wander around my neck of the woods this lunchtime.  First stop were the reservoirs next to the radar station, then it was across to Hungry Hill, down past the Shrieking Pits, alongside Fox Hills, though India Woods to Osier Carr and Little Broad.  Then, I crossed the River Mun at Gay's Plantation and made my way home via Frogshall to Northrepps, up Toll's Hill and down past the old station and Mole End, then home.

The old reservoir overlooking the North Sea

Those swans, last seen here

The new reservoir...

... complete with three pairs of tufted ducks (different ducks can be found here)

Across the track to Hungry Hill

Over the field is Northrepps village

Mud

More mud.  And on the right...

... the lesser, dowdy, Shrieking Pit

And on the left, the showier, glamorous one

The last vestiges of snow near Fox Hills

Things are looking up in India Woods

Little Broad (as visited for the first time here)

Camera did its usual sterling job of focusing on the reeds and twigs rather than the swan.
Still, despite that, I rather like the effect.  Don't tell Camera, though.

Another elegant swan couple...

... and their remaining offspring who has yet to fly the nest

I couldn't decide between this photo and the one above, so you've got both!

Heron!

Yes, I managed to disturb another heron (not in that way!)

River Mun flowing through Gay's Plantation

Snowdrop drifts

Primroses

Cock!
He followed me for a short while but veered off when it became clear I wasn't going to "entertain" him

 This is the shorter* walk I'd intended to go on here, but didn't due to the mud.


* It was still rather long, though.

8 comments:

  1. Fancy not stopping for cock in Gay's Wood! You're slipping...

    It's been utterly gorgeous weather here, too - and, despite the mud (and unthawed snow - really?!), it looks like you had similar. We don't have anything resembling that phenomenal snowdrop drift round here, however. Amazing! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Despite being very handsome, he's not really my type. Although, cock is cock...

      Anyway, yes, snow. I was rather surprised to see it. I had to get up close to see that it really was lingering snow rather than, oh, I don't know? Sheep's wool? Plastic sheeting? Litter?
      Judging by the mass of flattened and horizontal twigs & branches along the sides, I suspect the snow filled that path to the top of the hedge. So, because of the sheer amount, it's taken a long time to melt?

      Delete
  2. Little Broad and Gay Plantation? You are living in an episode of Sticky Moments with Julian Clary.
    Above your Converse please tell me you were dressed like Julian Clary?
    I do actually like the eerie abandoned scenes of the tractor tracks left after burying the bodies....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would normally wear something like this for wandering around North Norfolk, but I couldn't find the other shoe, so I went for this understated little number with my fake-o Converse (SoulCals).

      Delete
  3. You're a fool, I tell you, a fool!!! Get yourself some wellies, and they will take you anywhere!
    I can understand your dilemma with the swan photos. I think the swans were all angling for the best pose.
    I saw some big Daffodils yesterday - Spring has arrived!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I do think wellies are practical, they seem so cumbersome and noisy, and I wouldn't want to walk any distance in them. Besides, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tip-toe in them, or make agile leaps and graceful pirouettes (I seem to perform a great many ballet moves on my walks...).

      Swans are so beautiful - it really is difficult to get a bad photo. until they heave themselves out of the water and start waddling around on land, of course.

      Big daffodils? Lucky! There's one nearly open on the embankment here.

      Delete

  4. Gosh what a wonderful walk.
    Wearing Sling-backs was probably a bit optimistic though.

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?