Wednesday 1 November 2023

The Infomaniac Garden Photos Event 2023

 To those who made it through the Terrifying Triffidery pre-show relatively unscathed* - and to those who sensibly avoided it - welcome to the 13th annual Infomaniac Garden Photos Event!


 This year the totally non-binding and entirely voluntary theme is wildlife and we have quite a few creepy-crawlies in amongst the foliage and flora for you to cast your eyes upon - as well as one or two rather larger specimens! 
 But before we begin, a big thank you to everyone who has submitted photos - and to those who have yet to do so but will do in the next few days (there's bound to be at least one - maybe two?) - without you, there would be no Garden Photos Event. 
 And big thanks also to The Very Mistress for allowing me to continue with the GPE in her stead.

 Speaking of, the first garden photo that was submitted this year - which does include wildlife - was from The Very Mistress herself: 
 

 And here's what she had to say about it:
 
Dear Mr. DeVice,
 
Before you say anything, yes I know that my entry last year was a duck. Deal with it! This is a DIFFERENT duck.
 
This female mallard is cooling off in my back garden on a hot summer's day in Ontario, Canada.
 
I expect you'll complain that there are no plants or flowers in the photo. Look more closely. There's a dandelion in the background!
 
I encourage others to provide fresh, clean water for the critters in their gardens. They need it, and they appreciate it.
 
Lord love a duck!
 
Hugs,
The Mistress xooo
 
 There was only mild complaining.  Barely even a whine.  And, disappointingly, no actual wine.


☙❧

 
 With the thanks - and the duck - out of the way, it's time to examine the Terrifying Triffidery and reveal who sent in what.  If you haven't yet had chance to peruse the various triffids and would like to hazard a guess at what they were propagated from and who sent them in, I'd advise you to scroll no further and click here.
 
 All done?  Guesses made?  Excellent!  Here are the triffids and their photographers:
 
 
 Triffids #1, 5, 6 & 12 were photographed at a safe distance by Ms Scarlet:
I'm not exactly sure what the "long-eared owl" really is other than some type of seed pod, but Ms Scarlet stuck to a theme and provided eerie & atmospheric shots of a variety of seeds.

 
 T #2, 4, 7 & 9 by Melanie Reynolds:
From Mels herself: "Both mushrooms showed up in my wood chip pile this fall. The crab spider was on one of the allium bulbs waiting for a meal. It's lucky it didn't choose the same allium globe that this flying beast preferred mere inches away: A Gold Digger Wasp, which is actually a pollinator and not an aggressive human harasser. It's roughly 2in (5cm) long!"

 
 T #3, the Bat Monster, by Jon:
Jon's reveal: "The "Hideous Bat-Monster" is actually Salvia 'Love & Wishes' [poss. hybrid of S. buchanii and S. splendens].

 
 T #8 & 11 by me:
My bathroom Phalaenopsis orchid masqueraded as an alien from the abyss, while a passionflower on my green gate waved one of its stigmas in front of Camera suggestively.

 
 T #10 by Maddie:
"Here is my Terrifying Triffid picture. The triffid in question is actually one of the seed pods from the Datura 'Ballerina'. Once the blooms are done, a few of the stems where the bloom was will produce a seed pod. Trust me, it's not one of my balls with an infection!!!!!!!"

 
 and T #13 by Dinah (although, Dinah didn't send it in, I nabbed it from her blog):

 A footwear hatecrime of this magnitude can only warrant an equally severe response, surely? :
 

 
Well done to everyone who guessed or deduced correctly.  As you all know by now, there are no prizes because the Infomaniac Garden Photoes Event is NOT a competition! 

 
* I'm sorry if Gavin-the-Gardener wasn't up to much cop keeping you safe.  I had him up all night strangling my triffid which I'd inadvertantly allowed to escape.  Fortunately it made a beeline for Gavin's room (aka, the garden shed) where Gav managed to keep it contained despite much thrashing and flailing.  He also had to contend with his own rather more monstrous triffid (I didn't realise he'd grown one of his own, the daft boy), so he had both hands full!  Anyway, he eventually managed to subdue them and is sleeping it off now still covered in triffid gunk.

☙❧

 Oh, before we move on to the next GPE post, I have an announcement to make:
 
 Due to extenuating circumstances, dear Savvy has had to bow out this year.  So, like last year, I scoured the last 12 months of her blog to see if I could find any house plants lurking in the background of family photos and the like.  Unfortunately, there were rather fewer photos this past year than last, and none contained any trace of greenery.  Except this one:

Two plastic palm trees in the "garden" of Big Girl Matrix's Calico Critters house, as seen here.  There is also a snake (albeit plastic again), which kind of meets the "wildlife" theme (the miniature horse and the dog in a dress do not, though)


 You may think I'm reaching somewhat by including plastic plants, but there is precedent for such things - see exhibit X (as in LẌ) from 2018.  (A scroll through the comments of the linked post will reveal that it was none other than the Official Plant Spotter of Hexenhäusli Device and its Extensive Witchdom, nay, All of Blogdom Itself, Jon, who pointed out the plastic nature of dear LẌ's entry).


Savvy did send this lovely bouquet to make up for it though.  Isn't it beautiful!

☙❧

 So, that's 2023's Infomaniac Garden Photos Event officially launched! 
 Now, if you'll excuse me, with all of Gav's time taken up getting to grips with the triffids, I must bring the Official Hexenhäusli Device Lumberjack up to speed in order to deal with the rather alarming amount of wood around here.  It's going to be hot, hard work, so he's already getting prepared... 
 

 Pop back in a couple of days or so for a look at Peenee's greenery and a shiny treasure!

27 comments:

  1. I always have time for ducks and dandelions! Thank you, Ms Mistress!!
    I was right about Mels and the ballerinas!! The other poet is Jon with his bat!!
    I love Savvy's beautiful bouquet.
    Meanwhile, as I type my garden is being buffered by Storm Ciarán, so I will shut up now. I might have a power cut so I need to charge things. Oh, I think the storm is heading in your direction.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought we had another fab selection of triffids this year - and many of them met the wildlife theme by either looking like animals (Jon's 'bat' and your 'owl' for example), or had animals on them (Mels' alliums).
      Savvy is always good for a beautiful bouquet!

      Two roads out of the village were already flooded this morning, and after today's rain (which wouldn't be out of place in Devon!) I fear the other two probably will be now, too. So, no thanks to your Storm Ciarán cast off!

      Delete
  2. When Gavin and the woodcutter have quite finished mopping-up, have them sent over to my boudoir, there's a good chap!

    So Dinah was the "red herring" all along! I guessed she might have sent in orchid pics, but no; they were "Homebase specials" all along 🤣

    Should've guessed Maddie would send in something testicle-related... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to be outraged at the "Homebase" remark, but I can't actually remember where the orchid came from (I've had it since at least 2018), so I'd better keep shtum just in case.

      As for my woodcutter, he's got his work cut out for him here for a little while, but I'll send Gavin over to see to your boudoir triffid.
      (Probably a good job Maddie's away at the mo otherwise I'm sure she'd come up with a triffid for Gav to see to, too - warty testicle, or no!)

      Delete
  3. Amazing!!!!!!! Who would have thought that close ups change the whole feel one has... and then seeing what it actually is. Those fungi of Melanie's are so pretty. And I never thought I'd find mushrooms pretty. The one that shocks me was actually Maddie's. Had no idea what that would have been till I saw the picture reveal! He featured those stunning flowers several time this summer. Who would think? One of my new favorites. Your orchid shot was also very stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie's Triffid snap's a full-on Monet: from far away it's okay, but up close it's just a big ol' mess (I love Clueless!). The flowers are beautiful, though!
      Mels' mysterious mushrooms really are pretty, aren't they. And I'm glad you like my orchid, too - it almost died a year or two ago and this is the first time it's flowered since then.

      Delete
  4. Every year the entries are fantastic, sweetpea! Congratulations to all y'all. Thank you, IDV, for including BGM's palms and my bouquet this year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Savvy. I wasn't going to let the Event go by without including you.

      Delete
  5. great reveals! And that's about the right size for one of the Mistress's testicles too. But aren't you and Dinah tempting fating by featuring a croc, what with, not one, but two HOT mistress's on your hands? i can see the wrath coming already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I was hoping that Dinah will take all the wrath, but I've recently heard that she's hiding in New Zealand! What am I going to do?!? Broom's in for a service and I have no way off this damp little island!!

      Delete
  6. The Crocs are overshadowing my duck!!! I'm suing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may have to put in an extradition order as Ms Mow has gone into hiding in New Zealand!

      Delete
  7. Those are amazing!!!!! The orchdid is rather stunning. I would have sworn yours was Maddie's. Maddie's actually shocked me. Now that I see what plant it belongs to it makes sense. Having seen Maddie on another blog I didn't recall her testicles looking quite like that!! And the bat flower was rather stunning too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon's "bat" is rather good, isn't it. And I know they get a lot of use, but I wouldn't have thought Maddie would let her lady's testiclé get in such a state.
      As for my orchid - I'll show you the whole thing at the end of the month!

      Delete
  8. I'm confused (so what else is new?)
    This post is dated 1 November 2023, but the
    comments are dated February, March & April of this year. WTF?

    All I came in for was to comment on The Mistress' comment of Lord Love A Duck. That is one odd, funky film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the British way of doing date formats, dear Norma! We always use day/month/year, whereas the Yanks do month/day/year. Jx

      PS That's why when the description "9/11" was completely confusing over here, because to us that means 9th November...

      Delete
    2. Ah, thank you, Jon - good job you were up so late.

      I've just changed the comment time/date stamp thingy to spell out the month, Norma. Hopefully there should be no more confusion due to our differering formats.

      Delete
    3. Canadians do dates the British way, too.

      Delete
    4. OH NO! I didn't make myself clear, I apologize.
      I'm well aware of writing the date "5 November 2023." What I was asking about was the dates on the comments left.. They NOW read 2 November 2023 up to today. But I assure you the other day they read April of this year.

      Probably my computer's fault. Just ignore me & carry on!

      Delete
    5. How peculiar, Norma. Blogger is a funny old thing sometimes. Not too long ago, it swapped all the videos around in a music post I did - Aqua's "Turn Back Time" was actually White Lies' "Step Outside", and Sidney Youngblood's "If Only I Could" was "Turn Back Time"! When I revisited the post later on, they'd all gone back to where they should be.

      Delete
  9. Oh I do look forward to this. Thanks for your hard work and to all who sent in their fab photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Despite all the work, I love seeing everyone's photos and organising the posts. Such fun!

      Delete
  10. Yay! I'm imagining us all in a pub commenting on whose pictures we thought was whose and how close we were. Ms Scarlet threw me with her black and whites. I should have known better! Always fun. Thanks again for hosting and to everyone else who submitted pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watched something disturbing on the telly about a woman and a duck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to purse my lips

      Delete
    2. Don't worry Mitzi - I pursed mine enough for the both of us!

      P.S. I recognised the duck "feeder"'s sister as Jeanine the flower girl in Pushing Daisies: "Dummy". I can feel a rewatch coming on! (Particularly as "Dummy" also features the extremely charming silver fox, Patrick Fabian)

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?