Monday 27 November 2023

GPE 2023 : IDV's Zoological Gardens

 This, the final array of flora & fauna from the Infomaniac Garden Photos Event 2023, is my own.
 
Take a Turn Around the Grounds with

M E,  I D V

☙❧
 
 I thought we'd start with the zoological specimens first as the display includes the majority of Hexenhäusli Device's grounds, so you can see the layout of the gardens and many of the plants too (not pictured: the North Lawn and Gardener's Private Retreat):
 
Arial view of the South Gardens
Widdershins from top left: Nursery web spider (Pisaura miribilis) in the red greenhouse [April], Large yellow underwing moth (Noctua pronuba) x2 in the potting station (not the related Satellite as incorrectly marked on the image) [July], Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) [August], Peacock (Aglais io) [August], and some sort of spider that I can't be bothered to try and identify on a rock next to the pond lake [June].


The Grand Paysho*
Turnwise from top right: Common darter dragonfly (Sympetrum striolatum) on the star jasmine next to the lamp on the right [September], Red Admiral caterpillar, the side return where the caterpillar was found [August], an adorable little Zebra jumping spider (Salticus scenicus) on the jasmine & clematis trellis (facing away from the camera - d'oh!) [September], Garden spider (Araneus diadematus) [September], and the disagreeable-looking offspring of Beaky under the blackberry at bottom left [July].
 
* Because "patios" are for commoners.


South Lawn and Lake
Turnwise from top right: Reeve's muntjac behind the swing (included here because its front legs are practically within our property line which extends back from the fence a little way) [November], Banded demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) on lake sedge (and flying above it in main photo) [August], Comma (Polygonia c-album) on lake rock [July], Bumblebee at chocolate foxglove in The Gardener's Private Retreat (offscreen to the right of the Cordyline at top right) [July], Mint moth (Pyrausta aurata) on the water mint at bottom right [August], and dragonfly nymph exuvia on reeds [June].

☙❧

 Right.  On to the main reason we're here: the flora.  Despite seemingly half the garden having been dug up, urinated on (my poor agapanthus) or trampled by Bitey this year, some plants did manage to come through relatively unscathed:

June
Rodgersia aesculifolia and a glimpse into The Gardener's Retreat

Philadelphus x lemoinei "Belle Etoile" which smells heavenly

Purple toadflax, foxglove, and lupin


July
Chocolate foxglove (Digitalis parviflora) and visitor in The Gardener's Retreat

Beautiful little clusters of fungi on old sycamore logs also in The Gardener's Retreat


August
This Agapanthus had a lucky escape from Bitey wee

That Crinum (or whatever it is) I grew from seed back in 2019/2020 finally flowered!

Hydrangea

Pond Lake margin plants including purple Bugle (Ajuga reptans) and Golden Creeping Jenny (Lysimachi nummularia "Aurea").
A cropped version of this photo serves as this blog's title image during the GPE.

Wild strawberries under the Hanging Green Gate

Multiplying pineapple lilies (Eucomis comosa "Sparkling Burgundy") from August to September on the circular paysho

Spider plant, fuchsia and passion flower festooned Hanging Green Gate from August to early September.  Below are wild strawberries and Kiwifruit vines.
 
 
September
Hanging Green Gate looking rather more lush

My favourite fuchsia, "Blacky" - one of two on the Green Gate (taken from cuttings last year)

Passionflower (Passiflora violacea "Victoria")

The Gardeners Retreat as seen through a flowering & fruiting Himalayan honeysuckle (Leycesteria formosa), AKA pheasant berry.  The berries taste of treacle.

The Gardeners Retreat as viewed from the other way through a magnolia, avocado and chocolate vine (Akebia quinata).  On the table growing through the tiny-leaved "Mind-your-own-business" (Soleirolia soleirolii) is a spider lily (Hymenocallis harrisiana) which I'm hoping will flower next year (it was marmalised by slugs/snails last year so didn't produce any blooms this year)

☙❧

A Flurry of Fuchsias:
An array of fuchsias - some of which I can identify! L-R: Eva Boerg, Display (possibly?), don't know (but I want to say "Dorothy somethingorother"), Blands New Stripe (I think?), Blacky, and "Next to the swing"!

☙❧

And finally, from within Hexenhäusli Device:
A Phalaenopsis cultivar - AKA "Homebase Special" (thank you, Jon!) - in my smallest room.  It started flowering in mid-June and dropped its last flower at the end of October.  It has looked more showy - see Phalaenopsis flashback - but almost died a couple of years or so back, and is still recovering, I think (although, I've just noticed another flower spur at the base!).
Ctenanthe amabilis (with a peace lily {Spathiphyllum "Mauna Loa"} below) and its insignificant, furry flowers in my boudoir.

☙❧

 So, that's it, the final garden of this year's Infomaniac Garden Photos Event. 
 But, the event isn't over yet.  There's one more stop: The Finale, where we can look back on highlights, triffids, trivia, gossip, and maybe even Gavin, so do join us in a couple of days or so for the floral fun!

26 comments:

  1. It appears you know what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly luck and selective camera angles, Norma. Although I do have an inkling now and again.

      Delete
  2. WOW!!!! I knew you wouldn't disappoint!!!! I love everything, but must admit my favorite were the Purple toadflax, foxglove, and lupin...all three things I myself have not had luck with, which is why I love them the most. And the Lake margin is so pretty, it would make a great spot for my moon platters. I also add what's not to like about the passionflower too.

    This was a tour to remember!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you Maddie! There are one or two basking spots around the "lake", not to mention the circular paysho which woul dbe an ideal spot for you and your moon platters!

      Delete
  3. I am impressed. I remember the photographs from some time back when it was still under construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I've just looked back at 2020's GPE post and it was rather different. Although somethings are still in place - and now much bigger!

      Delete
  4. Heavens! That could be a feature article in Gardeners World magazine...

    An utterly beautiful display of flora (and fauna!) - well done! Next time I'm in North Norfolk, I'll bring a litre of Tanqueray and join you in "Gin O'Clock corner". Jx

    PS I notice that, as hard as you tried, Bitey still managed to invade the event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise indeed, Jon - thank you! I'll do a bit of pruning before you arrive so you can sit without being accosted by Himalayan honeysuckle.

      Ah, yes, Bitey. He is always either under my feet or in my way. And now cameoing in the GPE!

      Delete
  5. Yes, what Jon said or better still you can send in a viewers video to Gardeners' world.

    I'm strangely drawn to the Hydrangea, it has a lovely girth.

    Is that a box of Phostrogen on the window sill overlooking The Grand Paysho?

    I'm not very good at growing plants from seed, however, the unwanted free packets of seeds you get from gardening magazines I have sprinkled clandestinely in next door's front garden and they come up beautifully, the neighbours were thrilled with this years beetroot and radish crop, they think it's a miracle.

    I would love a Lake Mitzi in my garden somewhere to soak my feet on hot days, but the maid has a tendency to pour bleach on everything, including the birdbath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you too, Mitzi! The hydrangea was rescued from the gloomy depths of the North border where it wasn't doing very well at all (The Father put it there). It's doing much better in it's pot on the paysho.
      Speaking of, the side-on orange box is Bitey's flea & worming medication, I think. I don't know about the stripey thing next to it, sorry.

      You've saved your neighbours some money on salad veg - how thoughtful!

      Delete
  6. All this excitement of the garden tour, and Christmas coming, and I just saw Janie Junebug announced a PSA FOR THE Freaking'Green Elf Shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I've just seen!! I hope she holds the compo before Christmas! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Gosh what a feast for the eyes and indeed for the nose of anyone lucky enough to visit in person.
    I don't know where to start. I love everything!
    I did think taking photos of the grounds from a hot air balloon was a master-stroke. I think we should organize some Balloon trips over the gardens here at Delargo Towers.
    I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed the 'Event'.
    You have done a grand job and should be proud of yourself

    Roll on Spring
    Ttfn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Madam A, thank you most kindly! Yes, I thoroughly recommend the hot air balloon approach to garden photography. Just make sure the wind doesn't change while you're up there!

      P.S. I can't wait for Spring.

      Delete
  8. I was about to compliment you on the glorious display of flora (and the cute Reeve's muntjac, which we don't have in Canada) when I spotted what appears to be a single CROC on the bench behind the Agapanthus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Gasps* and it's brown too!
      Nothing escapes MJ's beady eye.

      Delete
    2. Careful dearest Mistress. It could be a klompen, a wooden "shoe" from The Netherlands, a souvenier.

      Delete
    3. OMG! I didn't realise it was in shot - and in more than one photo!
      In my defence, it's one of The Mother's "gardening Crocs" which Bitey has taken to throwing around the garden when he's not trying to chew it to pieces (Crocs are unnervingly resilient - I think they'll outlast cockroaches).

      Please don't ban me! I feel terrible for slapping that sticker on Dinah, now.

      Delete
    4. P.S. Although, Dinah was wearing hers...

      Delete
    5. Bitey is obviously offended by horrid footwear. Good dog.
      Dinah, on the other hand...

      Delete
  9. So many beauties. My, how your garden grows, my dear. Congrats on all. Splendid. And thank you for another year. I adore these garden tours. People are so adventurous. Yours? Spectacular. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you most kindly, Mr Tonking! This year was rather trying what with Bitey's "help" and time-sucking abilities (amogst other things), but it mostly turned out okay in the end.
      I love seeing other peoples gardens and taking ideas and inspiration from them. For instance, I'm rather taken with your gerberas so I might try a couple next year.

      Delete
  10. I can concur with many! A fine garden and one to be proud of. I especially love the Agapanthus, one of my favorites. But I also love your variety of fuchsias and that passionflower is stunning. I highly doubt that would take here at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lady Goldberg-DeWoofs! I was hoping for more Agapanthus flowers, but they were drowned in Bitey wee throughout the year (they seem to be one of his favourite plants to urinate on).
      I'm down a couple of fuchsia varieties this year thanks to the two extended cold snaps last winter, but I might get a couple more in Spring to replace them. I'm waiting for Madam Arcati's New Year Fuchsia Fest to see what takes my fancy.
      Finally, the passionflower was a new addition this year and I'm hoping it will put on a bigger and better show next year!

      Perhaps you might like to take part in the GPE next year and show off your new beach garden?

      Delete
  11. Ah-ha! You were saving the best for last and have thus won this year's garden competition! You are so lucky that 30-point croc deduction didn't put you in the dustbin! It's the 35 points for hosting the event that pulled you out and kept you on top.

    I don't have a favorite flower here, I just want to come over and relax in this nice little garden with a cuppa', not to be confused with a Japanese Kappa, although my twisted little heart likes those too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the GPE is over for another year, I couldn't give a fig about "the Garden Photos Event is NOT a competition!" so, Hooray! I won!! Thank you Melanie!

      P.S. I like a kappa, too - maybe I can entice one into the pon- I mean, "lake", next year?

      P.P.S. I also like a Lancia Kappa...

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?