Saturday 18 July 2020

Saturday Swim: The Seven Sigils of Groyne

 "And, lo, did the seven sigils appeareth on his gnarled and ancient groyne!" - - Anon

  Or somesuch...

 Anyway, before we get to all that groyne-related malarkey, something else is afoot.  And I don't mean The Host's pale and slightly repulsive effort on the right there.
 Hey!  I think I'll carry on with this, thank you.
 Fine.  You do that.

 So, just after 8:00 this morning, we ventured down to the beach again for a swim before the tide went out and the tourists and daytrippers arrived.  I don't think Camera was on board with the relatively early start, as it got all moody and sullen, as the photo below demonstrates:



 The sky didn't really look like that - it was much brighter and bluer, and the clouds were lighter and less ominous.  So, when I got home, I tinkered about in an attempt to brighten the photos up to approximate what the sky actually looked like.  Above and to the right are before-and-after comparison shots.

 Below are some untinkered photos from my swim - I couldn't be bothered to fanny around with all of them even though the one's facing north, west and south turned out okay.

 Maybe Camera just didn't like pointing east into the rising sun...?





If you embigulate the photo below and look carefully,
you'll see a shoal of little fish that were swimming around me.

::

 Now, on to the reason that you're here: a big, hard groyne covered in mysterious markings!
Oh, and a spiral of stones that I idly put together as I needed something to fit into the last square.

 These seven sigils are the work of a sea witch, and tell a very particular tale.  However, I can't share it as whomsoever reads it shall become a beacon for a certain unpleasant something (to give you an idea of how unpleasant, imagine being trapped in a room with the Kardashians and there's nothing to bash your brains out with - but even more so).
 To safeguard against an accidental summoning of the unpleasant something, the sigils are not in the right order, and one of them has been rotated turnwise by 90 degrees (and I'm not telling you which one).  I'm immune, of course, being something of a sea witch myself (only part-time, mind).
 But, perhaps, if you stare at this groyne and its sigils for long enough you can come up with your own meanings and story?

::

Anyway, on with the rest of the photos.
These were taken après swim on the way back home:




Skandi Carla lurking offshore

Cormorant!

14 comments:

  1. I've often found staring at groynes to be a pleasant experience, quite often with magical results. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all fun and games until it blows up in your face. And then it's all the more fun!

      Delete
  2. Camera is trying to tell you something, by making everything look like the Moon card.
    I'm sure you know the funny story about Winifred Clemence Danes shouting in the middle of preparations for a picnic, 'Olga, have you got crabs?'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camera is a mardy grump-bag, and I might just call its bluff by making it take a photo of the Moon!

      I have to admit that I had no idea who WCD was - although a quick trip to Wikipedia has brought me up to speed. Particularly her invitation to Noel Coward: "Do come! I've got such a lovely cock."

      Delete
  3. Groynes, a foot, and a fanny - it's all about the body parts! Yes, I read the sigils. They are very rude.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that one I turned around leant a rather unfortunate turn of phrase. Sorry.

      Delete
  4. I just know everyone's waiting for me to take up this tease-ball and run with it...but I don't have to.Because Scarlet got there first. (She's right -they are a bit rude.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell whether Ms Scarlet's indignant or rather thrilled?

      Delete
    2. Indignantly thrilled!!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. Splendid! My work here is done.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Are you channeling Winifred Clemence Dane? (Thank you, Hound)

      Delete
  6. I've been hypnotized by a groyne or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. You kept hold of the two but dropped all these noughts: 000,000,000,000,000,000,000 etc. etc...

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?