As seen at such illustrious blogs as 63 Mago, and Savannah Marsh Mama, we bring you our take on the “Game of Fours”. Four questions, with four answers each.
1. Favourite food?
• Cake (not CAKE!), preferably of the moist and rich chocolate variety. Especially Black Forest Gateaux - Yes, gateaux plural!
• Pudding/dessert/afters etc. also goes down a treat (as long as it's not a slimy, wobbly creme caramel or blancmange-type affair). Basically, something dark and rich with a good dollop or two of extra thick cream.
• A nice big crispy-skinned baked potato filled with butter, tuna, and lashings of mayonnaise. Oh, and maybe a sprinkle of herbs!
• A toss-up between homemade cheese & onion tart and fish pie (as long as it doesn't have squid or octopus in it).
2. Favourite drinks?
• G&T. Ideally a Hendricks with cucumber ice.
• And if I'm driving or piloting Broom, then just the tonic water.
• Fentiman's rose lemonade - a bit like drinking rosewater Turkish Delight.
• Coffee. It doesn't even need to be freshly ground or anything - A mug of Sainsbury's Dark Roast instant, with plenty of full-fat or semi-skimmed milk, and no sugar.
3. Places you’ve been?
• Corfu (we stayed on the coast somewhere between Pirgi and Ipsos), where I got a tan (very light, but a tan nevertheless), and almost swam to Albania in pursuit of a blown-out-to-sea lilo.
• Chatsworth, Derbyshire, no end of times - including the hidden cave that hides the valve to the Willow Tree Fountain.
• Cornwall - where I tried to avoid giant seagulls, and tried not to be avoided by a hot guy who worked in a shoe shop. After buying a pair of Caterpillar trainers, I inadvertantly (really) left my bag in the shop and had to go back for it...
• The Isle of Arran, Scotland. Possibly the most interesting thing that happened while we were staying here was being witness to the difficult birth of a calf: It very slowly emerged from its mum's nethers in what looked like a translucent yellow polythene bag, back legs first.
However, the following year, The Parents returned to Arran without us pesky kids with the intention of buying a hotel. They didn't go through with the purchase as the hotel was extremely haunted (the long-haired female ghost kept putting off potential guests, plus the immediate locals were weird), and on their way back to the ferry, a whirlwind sucked the roof off their campervan (a rising-roof Talbot Autosleeper), taking with it everything that wasn't bolted down in the back (which would have been us kids had we been there), and depositing it out to sea.
4. Names that you’re known by?
• Posho, because I don't have a Norfolk accent (except when startled, or tired) - although no one calls me this anymore (this was from high school - and possibly 6th form college).
• Margo, after Margo Leadbetter from The Good Life. Only one friend calls me this. We used to share a house together which is when she found out what a frightful snob I was (I still am, but probably not to the same degree anymore).
Thanks for this, Mago. It's given me a few days grace to come up with another post.