Friday 30 April 2010

Vermin's the Pot Noodle of vampire snacks*


Well, here we are at the end of the month again. Not the end of April again. Well, not for me, anyway. Some of you may have been living the month of April again and again and again, maybe because you've chosen to, or maybe because you're stuck, but for most of us (I imagine) this is first and only time through.

What was I saying?

Ah, yes. End of the month. So, here is the prerequisite book update post. Let's start from where we left off last time and go straight to the tenth book Ive read this year:


10. Bad Blood (a Being Human novel), by James Goss

George is a werewolf, Mitchell is a vampire, and Annie is a ghost, and they all live together in Annie's old house in Bristol. Annie has organised a bingo night to raise money to refurbish the community centre and the boys have turned up - just about on time - to support her. Sounds pretty run-of-the-mill, doesn't it? It's not, though. Not by a long shot. Especially when the vampire Human Resources manager at the local hospital turns up!
There's more to it than that, of course, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who might be about to read it. However, I will say this: Bad Blood is a very well written story about the Being Human trio. I totally believed in it. I think it was because the author has really got a feel for the characters - How they 'sound', their mannerisms and the way they react to things. I heartily recommend this book!

* This post's title came from this book.


11. Single White Vampire, by Lynsay Sands

As I mentioned to 'Petra: "Don't bother purchasing (or reading) Single White Vampire (unless you already have) - What a crock! One dimensional characters bounce from one conveniently placed plot device (no relation) to another. And while there are the expected sex scenes, they are heterosexual. But luckily, they're not too explicit - Well, the lady-bits aren't!"
And what I omitted to mention was that the lead female character is annoying beyond reproach. Quite how the Single White Vampire in question fell for her and dumped his Singleton status I don't know?
Actually, she did put out a lot. The slut. And she sure as hells moans a lot during sex. Not whiny moaning, sex moaning. Yuk!

I brought this on myself, of course. Totally judged a book by it's cover. Well, I say 'judged', more like 'took one look at the cover model and fell in lust'!


12. Zombie, an anthology of the undead, edited by Christopher Golden

Ooh, loads of good takes on zombies in this book. Among my favourites are Lazarus, by John Connolly - The story of Lazarus' resurrection from his point of view (seems like that busy-body Jesus should have left him alone); What Maisie Knew, by David Liss - A zombies-as-commodities story; The Wind Cries Mary, by Brian Keene - A ghost/zombie love story of sorts, and; Twittering From The Circus Of The Dead, by Joe Hill - A girl Twitters for her life as her family are all zombified.


13. Star Trek: Nero, by Mike Johnson, Tim Jones & David Messina

This comic/graphic novel collects the four issues about the Romulan Nero which cover the 25 year gap in the film Star Trek. Did that sentence make sense? I keep reading it and reading it, but to no avail. Ah, well...
Anyway, this book gives more insight into the villain, Nero, and his personal vendetta against Spock and the United Federation of Planets. It's cinematic in scope, with a dark tone, which is good, really, as it's based on a film! As with other graphic novels, I lament at the portrait layout - For a truly cinematic
feel (and easier read), a landscape layout would really do wonders.


14. Tall, Dark and Dead (well, nobody's perfect...), by Tate Hallaway

Oh dear. See what I thought of Single White Vampire up there to see what I think of this particular 'tome'. Except that the cover is Chick-Lit Shit.
A book I've owned for over two years and only just got around to reading (I wish I hadn't bothered) even though it has been mentioned in this blog before - click here and scroll down to the first award.
This book, the fourteenth I've read this year, means that I've already equalled the amount of books I read in all of last year. And it's still only April!

Ummm... Actually, I wrote this review based on the first couple of chapters of TD&D (which were pretty shit), but I've since read the rest and, I'm happy to tell you, it's MUCH better than Single White Vampire. The characters (mostly) have more than one dimension and the sex (what little there is, thanks gods) isn't all moany!


And there we have it for another month. Byeeee!

5 comments:

  1. That's a lot of books you've read. Wow.

    The cover for Single White Vampire, is that stuff on his mouth left over from him nibbling on her moany parts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eros has put me off my brekkie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For future reference, it's spelt 'sense.'

    You can copy and paste that when you need to.

    Zing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeek!

    You could have told me whereabouts it was, Tim. I had to read through the old claptrap to find it! It's corrected now.

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?