Oof! Here we are!
So, what have we been up to since last our paths crossed? Well, we'll show and tell you. Mostly show because The Host can't be bothered with a lot of typing...
The day after our previous post, it was The Mother's 80th birthday and a couple of days later (on the Bank Holiday Monday) we had an all-day boat trip on the Norfolk Broads to celebrate. We were all there: both my sisters - Inexcuseable and Indescribable - and their families (and Indescribable's dog), The Father, but not The Mother. She decided she'd much rather stay at home with Bitey and have some peace and quiet. I don't blame her - I wish I could have done, too.
Anyway, here are some photos:
Amongst other things, the Broads are famous for their windmills. This one's having a bit of work done.
This windmill was festooned with cormorants.
Somewhere amongst this lot is a kingfisher - can you spot it?
(Seeing kingfishers almost made this trip bearable. Almost.)
This hideous creature turned out to be...
... a heron.
We had a couple of extra guests for lunch.
I just loved watching these sailing boats gliding and zipping about.
The boats reminded me of the kids going out sailing in Jaws 2. Fortunately, there are no killer Great Whites in the Broads. But there was another terror lurking...
I hope you had your smelling salts to hand, Very Mistress?
(I didn't realise I had hit the 'video' button on Camera - I thought I was just taking a photo of that heron.)
September seems to have been very busy so far what with occasional school runs and babysitting, clearing the Grand Paysho ready for new paysho doors (this coming week), cleaning the house because it's too much for The Parents now (or is it? Hmmm.), and work, horrible work.
Still, I discovered Haute & Freddy's latest on the 3rd which took the edge off:
And I got to celebrate Star Trek Day on the 8th by watching Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home at the little cinema in town. It was the only ST film they were showing, but it's my second favourite and I missed it at the cinema the first time around (back in 1986).
I'll leave you with Thursday which was especially nice weather-wise - I took Bitey for a walk on the beach:
Was it YOU attached to those horrid green Crocs? I demand answers!
ReplyDeleteIf I moved to Norfolk, would I be a Norfolk Broad?
I assure you, Very Mistress, that I most certainly was NOT the Croc wearer! No, the Crocs had attached themselves to my sister, Inexcuseable.
DeleteAs for you becoming a Norfolk Broad (most amusing, by the way), well, I think you'd have to be born here. However, I think we can make an exception in your case as you can accommodate a lot of sailors...
Sailors? The cheek!
DeleteI shan't mention what goes on in the rigging, but there's fuck all else to do. Jx
DeleteNOICE
DeleteSailors? Surely you mean seamen, Mr. Device?
DeletePetra!
DeleteMJ!
DeleteDoctor Scott!
DeleteRocky!
DeleteI can't see the Kingfisher - will you show me where it is in your next post? Is there a prize for those who do spot it?
ReplyDeleteWe have herons here! Though I haven't seen them for a while - they have a prehistoric vibe, don't they.
So your mum missed the celebration for her birthday by staying home???!! My mum was like that!!
Sx
Ah, prize for spotting the kingfisher? Hmm. I'll have a think about that. And, yes, the herons really do have a prehistoric look to them. Not as much as cormorants (and shags), though!
DeleteOnce The Mother saw photos of how small and low down the loo on the boat was, her mind was made up. 'Up' being something she couldn't have done if she even managed to get down! I think she was secretly relieved that she didn't have to go. And she got to stay with Bitey - she was worried about leaving him for 8 or 9 hours (even though my ex-brother in law was coming round to see him and take him out).
I spotted it! I spotted it! Almost dead centre of that tangled mass, clinging to a branch. Have I won yet? Jx
DeletePS If it's crocs, I'm throwing them at your head!
Well done, Jon! Your prize is that you won't be receiving the crocs. Not least because that would mean I'd have to touch them.
DeleteShame you didn't enjoy your trip. You and your Bernard Matthews accent sounded like you were enjoying arguing with your sister with the unmentionable footwear...
ReplyDeleteHaute & Freddy - always brilliant! Reassuringly mad.
Star Trek IV is my favourite of all the films in the franchise! Seeing that trailer again reminds me how funny it was, too. Jx
PS I am manually trawling blogs I follow again, as the Reading List will have been out-of-order for a week tomorrow, and there is complete "radio silence" where the Google gnomes are concerned regarding any attempt to fix it, or even an acknowledgement that there is a problem.. Bastards.
"Bernard Matthews accent"!?! Perhaps I will send you those crocs after all!
Delete(I do enjoy a good squabble, but this time it was me and my sister vs my eldest niece - she was going to waste the duck food on the heron.)
Disappointingly - but unsurprisingly - we didn't see any humpback whales in the Broads.
I don't have a Reading List, just the Sideboard, but I see it is still all over the place: Peenee's and Maddie's latest posts show up, but yours is still stuck on "Choices,choices" from last week!
The Reading List is there for all bloggers, I believe - bottom of the left-hand menu in the "backend" (oo-er), just below "Settings". Jx
DeleteJon, thanks for letting us know that there's a problem with the Reading List, and that I'm not imagining it. Bastards, indeed.
ReplyDeleteI have been using their Feedback function to nag the bastards about the problems with it every day since at least May, but this recent "outage" of almost a week is utterly ridiculous. Anyone would think they do not give a toss! As if. Jx
DeleteThank YOU on our behalf for giving a toss. Much appreciated even if no action has yet been taken.
ReplyDeleteDon't listen to that Mistress hag, I think you look divine in your crocs.
ReplyDeleteWhy, thank you, Peenee. (I'll take it even though I'm NOT the one wearing the crocs...)
DeleteCORC LOVERS UNTIE
ReplyDeleteWere the typos on purpose, Ms Nations? So you have an "out" when the shit (or the crocs) hit the fan?
DeleteDon't mind, she's just stoned again.
DeleteI think the kingfisher is bottom centre, above the typed "lot is"
ReplyDeleteI loved watching those yachts, too! And hearing the accent, again...
Another correct spot! Well done to you too, Dinah! (And thanks for not comparing me to Bernard bloody Matthews)
DeleteI should have taken a video of the yachts - they're so graceful as they cut through the water.