Saturday 3 August 2024

Romancing the Precious Cargo

 The brief for July's Star Trek Fan Art Challenge was, well, brief:
  
Not Good Enough: Art inspired by unpopular episodes

  One particular episode came to mind as soon as this theme was suggested: "Precious Cargo" (a kind of screwball comedy).  Although it's not my absolute favourite, it is one of my most watched episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise (and not just because the lovely Connor Trinneer is running around in his undercrackers again).  However, almost everyone else considers it "a piece of crap" - even the episode writer, David Goodman!


 I quickly gathered up some screencaps from TrekCore and put together the rough draft below.  The inspiration for this came from the Romancing the Stone movie - specifically the odd couple romance and the crashing around in a jungle (I love that movie!). 
 
 Initially, I'd intended the backdrop to be a screencap of the watery jungle that Trip and Kaitaama find themselves in (similar to the RtS poster background), but the characters didn't stand out very well against it so I used a shot of their escape pod descending towards the planet instead.  Happily, the top of the escape pod lent itself as a marvellous background for the episode title.
 I made the "Precious" part of the title by chopping up & amending a screenshot of the "Romancing" typeface (from Art of the Title) because I couldn't find a suitable substitute typeface online, and the "CARGO" is Trek's (and sci-fi's in general) ubiquitous Microgramma Bold Extended superimposed over Princess Kaitaama's sparkly dress.  That took some doing in Paint, I can tell you! 
 (The rough draft "CARGO" isn't Microgramma, by the way - it's Lovecraftimus.)
 

 While we're here, let's give everyone a break from the Star Trek stuff and have a look at the Romancing the Stone trailer, shall we?
 Hey!  I'm sure at least one reader is here for Trek!  And this is my post, so stop busybodying.
 Too late!  I've already inserted the video.
 

 
 Right, now that Witchface is out of the way, back to Precious Cargo.  After some repositioning of the characters and swapping Plinn for Captain Archer (he is the star of the show, after all), I added the stasis pod's control panel lights to the top of the escape pod then overlaid the refined title.  At the bottom I added the poster credits - the layout is based on the Romancing the Stone movie poster and contains references to the episode as well as other Enterprise refs and a personal ref, too:

 
 And that, you may be relieved to hear, is that.  And now I've got this latest Trek art out of my system, the next post will be some garden stuff, I think.  Possibly a reminder for the Infomaniac Garden Photos Event as time is getting on?

11 comments:

  1. I had to really zoom in to see the "Colourblind DeVice" credit at the bottom of the poster - what a lot of work! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a lot of work, but I had fun doing it. It probably could have been much easier if I'd actually made an effort to learn Photoshop or something similar rather than bumble around in Paint.

      Delete
  2. Having never seen a lot of Star Trek a lot of this is over my head. So how am I just sit here and rub your shoulders. I agree withJon, that poster is a lot of work and shows a lot of talent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very thoughtful, Maddie. Just a little lower. A little lower...

      Delete
    2. I seem to have come across one very hard muscle. Just relax...this could take awhile......

      Delete
  3. Is this a very young Claude vanDamme ? The Mr Muscle to the left.
    This shooting guy sadly (I am sorry to say) does not convince me. He is a Klingon I think, but lacks Klingonism, at least for me. He's not whorfy enough, sorry. Is he the baddy in the fillum ?
    I also do not get the connection between wide eyed Michael Douglas, clearly on steroids, and the space drama - my loss, I know, no need to dig deeper, dearest IDV, as long as you are happy ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, no, Mr Muscle is, in fact, the slightly less muscular (but far more attractive - and taller) Connor Trinneer who played Enterprise's chief engineer, Commander Charles "Trip" Tucker III. But, yes, the shooting guy is one of the baddies - a Retellian (rather than a Klingon) called Goff (which is not far off Worf, when you think about it).

      As for the amped up Michael Douglas connection, only that Precious Cargo reminds me of Romancing the Stone.

      Delete
  4. I rewatched the whole of Star Trek Voyager in July. There are some crappy episodes amongst that lot I can tell you!!
    Anyhow - well done!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof! I never even thought about Voyager. But then I've only ever seen most of it once. I shall consult you if there is another similarly themed art challenge, Ms Scarlet.
      And thank you!

      Delete
  5. Great work, IDV! I never watched ST: Enterprise. I've always been more of a TNG and Voyager fan. I went through a serious depression in 2007 shortly before starting my very first blog (when I met Mago and others) and it was Captain Picard and Janeway that got me through the worst of it, as well as some BVTS.

    You know I always love to see your Star Trek art!

    I also adore Romancing the Stone. We've been intending to make our son watch it so he has a well-round cinema education. :) He likes Danny DeVito so it shouldn't be too hard. Last night we watched Pulp Fiction for his first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how many people have cited Star Trek (in one form or another) as helping them through a difficult time of life. You're definitely not alone - I'm one of them, too!

      If your son like Romancing the Stone (and the sequel, Jewel of the Nile), he might like The War of the Roses. I haven't watched it in years, so I must find it out and give it another viewing.

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?