Saturday 10 June 2023

"Summer Hath Aroused" thoughts of the Infomaniac Garden Photos Event

 Oof!  Nearly fell back into the all consuming "All".  Fortunately, the most recent questing tentacle from All turned out to be little more than a tendril, and is now* eating a cheese & coleslaw sandwich (made by me!) while safely ensconced in the recliner downstairs nursing a gashed shin. 
 So, as Summer has finally** reached the north-eastiest bit of East Anglia (which means it's too hot to be outside doing anything) I find myself with some unexpected free time - enough to whip up a reminder for:

the House of
I N F O M A N I A C
Garden Photos Event 2023
 
* About 11:30ish at the time of writing.
** Summer landed in most of Blighty last week.  Apparently, temperatures in the mid-to-high 20s abounded, but not here.  The cold North Wind (from the North Sea, funnily enough) kept the clouds in place and the temperatures at least 10 degrees cooler than practically everywhere else.
Until today.  It might get as warm as 20°C!

 Ooh, before I forget, in book news, I have finished The Thursday Murder Club, and have started the second book in the series by Richard Osman: The Man Who Died Twice.  While reading a few more pages last night, I found myself thinking that Elizabeth and Joyce are very much like Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg respectively, from Sir Pterry Pratchett's Discworld.  This is obviously a good thing.

 Now, back to the GPE reminder and some photographs of subjects you have (mostly) seen before a thousand times:
 
Love-in-a-mist (Nigella damascenais) flower bud
 As you should all be aware by now, the annual Infomaniac Garden Photos Event is held here, rather than at The Very Mistress's hallowed cesspit knitting blog, The Infomaniac.  (For the forgetful, easily confused, and any newcomers, further information can be found by clicking on the Garden Photos Event page at the top of this blog).
 
 This year, just as in years past, the Event will be held in November, so please set to with your cameras and photograph the luxurient growth of your garden, courtyard, terrace, conservatory, windowbox, house plant (delete as applicable) so you have something to send in nearer the time.
 If you don't have a garden or pot plant but would like to take part, just take a photo/s of a favourite plant (or twelve) from a local park or wild area that you frequent (and I do mean frequent - somewhere you visit reasonably regularly to enjoy the greenery) and send them in, but please make sure you let me know where the photos were taken.
 
 I will publish further haranguing nagging reminders throughout the Summer and Autumn, as well as instructions and deadlines etc. (which are usually along the lines of: email me your photos and captions by the end of October - email address, if you don't already have it, is in my blog profile on right).
 
 As you may recall from April's GPE primer, this year's sub-theme is:

Honeybee swarm inspecting my compost heap
Flora and Fauna

 So, if you can take a photo or two of non-human, non-domesticated animal visitors - birds, butterflies, bees, bugs, and/or bears - to your unkempt undergrowth or manicured green patch, please do.  They can be sent in along with your main chlorophyll-based lifeform photos.
 
 Speaking of bees, I watched Jupiter Ascending (again) last night purely because of the swarm I discovered buzzing around and in✢ my allotment compost heap.  Sadly, I couldn't influence the swarm, unlike the titular Jupiter does when she visits Sean Bean's bee and honeycomb festooned house along with Channing Tatum in the film, so I am obviously not royalty.  Harrumph!

 Oh, and I would like to hold a Terrifying Triffidery exhibit at Hallowe'en again, so please also take some photos of your more monstrous growths (or spookily lit and/or drunken close-ups of less terrifying plants) as well.

 Right.  On to some allotment photos from a couple of days ago:

Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) with yet-to-ripen loganberries

California poppy

Foxglove sentinels standing watch over newly planted loganberry and raspberry canes

Allotment HQ covered in honeysuckle, loganberry, and elderflower

Blue-caned "Black Jewel" raspberry behind more foxgloves

View from the fruit cage

More foxgloves in the neglected allotment next to mine
(I'm going to nab some seeds in late-Summer)
 

 And this morning's Bitey Walk (with a special something for Ms Scarlet at the end):

Summer has arrived!

Someone has thoughtfully mowed a landing strip for me 'pon Broom at the top of Madams Lane.  Although, just what kind of crash-landing were they envisioning I'd make to mow one this long?  The cheek!

Double pink hawthorn for Ms Scarlet

☙❧

Post title partially from Ghosts: "The Thomas Thorne Affair"

25 comments:

  1. Huge excitement because, a) I have just today bought the first Richard Osman book!!! And, 2) I am bang up to date with my garden photos this year!
    Thank you for the double pink Hawthorn - the white ones have all finished now, a long with the Cow Parsley.
    We have had rain today which was something of a shock, and our foxgloves have taken over from where the Hawthorn left off.
    Love those daisies, I would really like a significant crop somewhere in my garden - I think they sing of summer!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a) and 2) = very Miranda! I think you'll really enjoy The Thursday Murder Club - I hope so, anyway. And I'm glad to hear that you're on course for the GPE.

      We could do with some rain - the water butts are practically empty, and I had to get my hose out today! Send it up here when you're done.

      Delete
  2. a) and 2)!! Oh dear, there’s a sign a stressed brain!
    We have a hosepipe ban in Devon - leaky reservoirs, and too many visitors taking hot baths.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I assumed it was a deliberate Mirandaism - you could have got away with it!

      A hosepipe ban already? Crikey.

      Delete
  3. Is there any native flower more welcome as a herald of summer than a foxglove? I utterly adore them! We have a mauve, spotted-throated perennial one that has been subject to such a "bee-orgy" that 70% of its flowers have gone already, and two self-sown white ones out the front that are looking lovely (if a bit stunted, 'cos it's bone-dry out there in the little strip of clay soil under the bay window). The summer is rocketing away before our eyes, as each set of blooms hands over to the next... Jc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foxgloves really do have it all, don't they? Structure, elegance, colour, endurance, beauty, and, apparently, just the right ambiance for a bee-orgy! I adore them too.
      I shall look out for your mauve one in your next gardening snaps, or in The Madam's June Delargo Gardens feature. Speaking of, tell her to get on with May's! x

      Delete
  4. The Madam must have heard you nagging - Mat's garden blog is up and running, foxglove and all! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May, not "Mat", bien sûr. Jx

      Delete
    2. Ah, splendid!

      And "nagging"? It was little more than a light harangue...

      Delete
  5. Yes, sweetpea, I understand. (even though my name was not mentioned, I got the message loud and clear) I have a few photos already, but not sure which to submit, if at all. As in, I think I need to take some better ones asap because you know it will be October sooner than I think and I'll still be dithering. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, even more splendid! And you can never take too many photos.
      Although, if you go all Ms FirstNations on us and inundate my inbox with dozens of photos, I'll faint!

      Delete
  6. Oh, goody! I'll make a start as soon as my pc is given a carbolic scrubbing(taking it to my Laptop Man [sadly, not a euphemism!] this morning. In the meantime, I shall drool slobber all over The Man's keyboard while looking at all these glorious gardens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, for a euphemistic Laptop Man!

      Did your Man's keyboard need a good carbolic scrubbing too after you'd finished with it?

      Delete
  7. Did Blogger eat my comment? Wasn't it this the post I mentioned the joy of little bee butts hanging out of the foxgloves? Gah, I've got so much going on right now. I just want to hide away from everything and sew stuff. More lovely pictures! I'm taking a lot myself in anticipation of the garden party. That double-headed pink Hawthorn is gorgeous! I don't recall seeing a picture of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that little bee butts comment - you made it ages ago, didn't you? I don't have any comments awaiting moderation or in the spam folder, so I don't know where it went if you made a similar "bee butt" comment here?

      It sounds like you need to sew yourself into a secret hideaway den. I hope life calms down a bit for you soon.

      Delete
    2. I found it! The "little bee butts" comment wasn't a comment - it was in your reply to my May photo submission 'Favourite Native Plant' email!

      Delete
  8. When you said we could photograph the luxuriant growth of our garden, were you also referring to my Lady Garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there's fauna down there to include.

      Delete
    2. I don't want to imagine the monstrosities that live down there!

      Delete
  9. A cheese and coleslaw sandwich you say? Sign me up. Also, I promise to send something from the extensive indoor gardens here at Maison peenee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's on white bread, too! None of that wholesome brown healthy malarkey.

      I shall clear a wing to house the Maison peenee exhibit/s!

      Delete
  10. Aw now come on, I didn't inundate you. Much. This year I'll be entering an old Sumas picture and a couple of local snaps - that's IT. So HA on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I did rather enjoy curating & collating your 2021 Rancho FirstNations snaps. Still, I'm happy to hear that you still have something to offer!

      Delete
  11. Lady Gardens are meant to be plowed and seeded. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome to The Very Mistress's Lady Garden, Mr Tonking. I'd take a map though. And beware of the dragons...

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?