Thursday 27 October 2022

Who 8 All the Ferrero Rocher?

 
 I hastily stuffed the half-unwrapped Ferrero Rocher, the syringe, and the small bottle marked with complicated sigils under a couple of cushions as the door to the study opened - without having been knocked on first!
 
 "Haven't you heard of knocking?"
 "Hmm?  Yes, but this isn't your house" Dinah said, barging into the room, bottle glass of wine in hand, and taking an unwanted interest in the cushions - admittedly I was doing a crap job of trying to look nonchalant whilst concealing the evidence of my diabolical deed.  "What have you got there?" she asked.
 "Nothing.  I'm, um, just taking a break from all the noise and partying downstairs?"
 "Right" Dinah didn't look or sound convinced, but fortunately, she didn't press the issue as she had something else on her mind.  "Anyway, Mago's looking for you." 
 "What?!  Mago?  Don't you mean Aidan Turner?"  
 "No.  Mago.  He's broken character and says something about being an archaeologist and wanting to put some clothes on.  Oh, and Ms Scarlet's vanished."
 "Blast!  I'll never get my hands on that Bottle of Greed!"
 "What?"
 "Oh, er, nothing.  Listen..." I said, wondering just how many Ferrero Rochers Ms Scarlet had troughed down as I got up off the cushioned settee and headed to an ancient, whirring PC on the desk (a vintage MacBook Air, if I wasn't very much mistaken!), "I happened to find this open on a pair of peculiar websites that seem to be tracking our movements, making insulting generalisations, and exaggerating certain aspects of our personalities and habits, if not making them up entirely!  Do you know anything about this?"
 Dinah shrugged and took a gulp of her wine.
 "And people are leaving comments about us!" I continued.  "Although, the comments are tailing off the longer this has been going on.  We've got to do something!"
 "You mean like reporting it to the authorities?"
 "No!  We're losing the audience!  We've got to engage them again - if they ever were really engaged in the first place?"
 "Probably not" Dinah muttered.  "I know I'm fed up with it all..."
 "I know just the thing!" I said, ignoring Dinah.  "Follow me."

 From the study I headed out across the landing, down the sweeping staircase - avoiding what looked like a mouse wrapped in a red napkin on the way - and made my way towards the rear of Mogwash Manor.
 
 But Dinah wasn't the only one following me to the orangery...


To be continued in...
 
 T e r r i f y i n g   T r i f f i d e r y !



[For anyone yet to send me their photos for this year's Terrifying Triffidery you only have another couple of days to do so - I need your Triffids by the end of the day on Saturday 29th OctoberBecause I'm such a soft touch, I'll allow a few more days for your Infomaniac Garden Photos Event pics - Just in case anyone happens to find any lost photos of the marigold persuasion, for example...]
 
[P.S. While we're on the subject, the deadline for Melanie's 'Leaves' Photo Submissions is the 31st, so get snapping/sending!]

17 comments:

  1. I think there might be a mouse wrapped in a red napkin following you to the orangery….
    Meanwhile - I can’t wait for the garden event!!! I want to see it now!!!
    Sxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less than ten hours to go, Ms Scarlet!

      P.S. That mouse had better make sure it doesn't end up as a snack!

      Delete
  2. I'm only question is, does your soft touch like hard things?

    Now I'm off to drink some Gin so I can make sense of this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clink, clink, sweetie - it's all gone into a bit of a rabbit hole... Let's look forward to wallowing in the "Terrifying Triffidery" and the offical launch of the Garden Photos Event!

      Delete
    2. Hard, firm, rigid - my touch can cope with all sorts, Maddie!

      Gin is practically a requirement for coping with the Terrifying Triffidery feature. I trust you're both stocked up?

      Delete
  3. So where's the bath mat? I only just sprayed Mago with my impressive hose and {poof!} everyone had gone from my back passage and suddenly ended up (somehow) in Dinah's, and, and, and...?

    I've joined Mistress Maddie in the gincuzzi. Jx

    PS Roll on the Garden Photos Event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cripes! The bath mat! I think we may have left it in Mogwash woods? Ah, well, I'm not going back for it now. Any more room in the gincuzzi?

      Delete
  4. I want my army of foxes! In fact, my baking friend is getting that as my birthday cake decoration desire, stay tuned for pictures in December. Yes, yes, of course I'm a winter tiger. It's why I'm dangerously chill.

    You're leaving me on pin and needles with this cliff hanger!...and making me wait until after the garden party to boot!?!? I do love delayed gratification, just don't make me wait too long or I'll get bored. A mouse wrapped in a red napkin. Nice imagery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately for you, there aren't quite as many entries for the Garden Photos Event as last year (at the moment, anyway), so it should finish before the end of November meaning our 'Over the Cusp in Mogwash' adventure can continue all the sooner.

      A winter tiger with an army of sugar foxes? Yes please to photos!

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure how the hell I got into this story! And, Jon...we had a terrific thunderstorm and I think the bathmat might have been wooshed town the side drain at the bottom of Tarzan's back passage. No, I'm NOT going to hose the mud off it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should take it as a compliment that they like you so much to make you a star in their crazy shared dream. Especially since they don't have you doing anything too unseemly. :)

      Delete
    2. You can blame The Disappearing Ms Scarlet and The Vanishing Very Mistress for your star turn, Dinah. I needed someone to help me with Mago, and it was a no brainer choosing between you and Charmaine!

      "anything too unseemly" yet, Melanie. Yet!

      Delete
  6. I'll drink to that, sweetpea! xoxo *raising another G&T* xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you drinking straight from the gincuzzi, Savvy?!?

      Delete
  7. The Gincuzzi is overcrowded. I'm headed to the Vodka Fountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there's room for a pair of stripy tights, Very Mistress!

      Delete
  8. Just so you know, I've left the gincuzzi and am now downing Bourbon on the rocks! The Mistress can have my spot! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?