Sunday 9 October 2022

Catching Crabs

 Summer popped back to brag about old times, but I didn't want to get caught up in its inane dude-bro rambling, so I took advantage of the change in weather it brought and went for a walk along the beach instead.

 I wasn't the only one with that thought though...

Gah!  There are people everywhere!
Just look at the six - six!! - in this photo, milling around and getting in my way!

I managed to weave past and leave them behind, though.  However, I noticed a hoard of as many as one people on the cliff top about to descend to the beach.  Bah!

There was only one thing for it:
I was going to have to debigulate myself and hide in the rock pools

Should have waited until I was a bit closer,
as I had to make my way through the sand mason worm forests...

Oof!  Nearly there...

Drat!  More of them!

Is this a fossilised poo?

Dog whelks feasting on barnacles.

Aha!  A beadlet anemone waiting for the tide to come in.  I think the regular pitting in the rock all around it is caused by the anemone's basal sucker as it moves around?
I think?  (I couldn't find anything online to support this theory - even after two whole minutes of searching!)

A close up of another beadlet anemone showing its spotted body.

And another in which you can see its tentacles all tucked up inside.

Here are some underwater with their tentacles out, feeding.

What I thought was a winkle turned out to be just the shell which is home to a tiny hermit crab.

Another hermit crab in a topshell (either Steromphala umbilicalis or S. cineraria)

Apologies for the blurry photo - this little crab is extremely small and was difficult to photograph under water with an ancient phone
(I have darkened, colour-enhanced, & upped the contrast to make it a bit clearer)

This even smaller topshell housed a practically microscopic hermit crab!
(As you can see, I rebigulated myself - I know: a ridiculous concept - for this photo in order to show the scale)

Having had my fill of poking around in rock pools,
I headed back along the beach towards home.

And not a moment too soon.  Just look at the crowds and heaving throngs!

Oh!  More people.  I can't bear it!

Fortunately, my ride was waiting to whisk me away.

 

[I was going to post a Garden Photos Event reminder, but I'll do that tomorrow]

12 comments:

  1. I have never seen such things on our beaches here. Those rock pools are rather odd-looking things. I did however once find one of those little, very minuscule crab shells. I still have it in my shell collection.

    But the throngs of people were probably trying to get a glimpse of the sexy giant that ventures the beach there. It's not everyday one see's a giant with three legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular patch of rock pools isn't often on show - it's only on extremely low tides like today's (thanks, Moon) that one can have a poke around without resorting to goggles or a snorkel.

      (And if one is braving the cold sea, one's third leg very quickly retreats and becomes little more than a nubbin! Apparently...)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a lovely day, pottering about on that crowded beach! We have had some lovely weather of late, but it's bloody cold once the sun goes down... Jx

    PS those anemones look positively jewel-like out of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather nice - crowds excepted, of course.

      I've been meaning to go out in the evening to take some photos of the stars, but I'm not ready to get my winter coat out of the wardrobe just yet.

      The anemones are beautiful when still moist and glistening, aren't they?!

      Delete
  3. Listen to you! Next thing I know you'll have your own YouTube channel... that is amazing stuff and even more amazing you know ALL THAT STUFF! I am impressed. You should film and share... this is dynamite stuff, great info, very educational! Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Mr Tonking! This particular knowledge set happens when you grow up on the coast miles away from anything and anyone - with nothing else to do, I spent a lot of time on the beach inadventantly learning about beadlet anemones and hermit crabs and the like.
      But a video? Hmmm... I'll have a think about that...

      Delete
  4. Broom is going to be jealous of your new ride. She/he/they (which pronoun do I use for this dragonfly?) is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the colour and...

      :: checks rude bits ::

      ... other observations, this one is a 'he'. A common darter, I think?

      Delete
  5. I know this is an odd question, but why is such a gorgeous beach only populated with 6 people, and you? Where are the hoard? Are they all in Devon?! I think you should take your fair share!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I was surprised that there weren't more people down there - especially as it was a weekend with gorgeous (well, nice) weather and a really low tide at the right time of day. I didn't think all those 'Visit Devon' posters I put up would have such an effect!

      Delete
  6. Great pictures! I really like macrophotography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind. This isn't macrophotography as much as 'falling over and having the camera go off when it hits the ground'!

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?