Sunday 13 February 2022

A Saucy Deviation

 In an effort to continue the blogging impetus that I started last week, may I present a slight deviation from that of Ms Scarlet's original ketchup-based post. This post has a high Star Trek content, so you may be pleased to find that it is mercifully brief...

Sketches:  For a while now I've had an idea to illustrate a scene from the backstory I worked up for the Star Trek map that I created back in 2019.  As I don't have an art project on the go right now, I started sketching...

Here we have a Daughter of the Fifth House with her Yehtee assistant
(and a cartoonish interloper) disembarking the Royal Yacht

And here are some quick passes at the yacht

Snippets: "Every morning he'd arrive at work, ascend the steps to his cubicle and strip down to his trunks."

 

Screenshots:

 Two years on from the last playing card reveal in a Star Trek production, comes glimpses of another deck - in this case, from a game of Leonian poker in Star Trek: Discovery (which I'm not watching, by the way - I didn't much care for the last season, and this one's on yet another streaming service that I'm just not going to sign up for.  Well, until Star Trek: Strange New Worlds with the yummy Anson Mount/Captain Christopher Pike starts later this year, that is).  

 It was the Arcadian Queen that got my attention - as seen on Star Trek fan, Jörg Hillebrand's twitter account, here.  Arcadians are very seldom seen aliens who first appeared in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (the one with the whales) - which is where the third screenshot comes from.  I can feel the need to make some of these cards, just as I did with the Romulan pikhmit/pixmit cards here.

[Screenshots from Cygnus-X1 and Trekcore]

 

Sounds:

"Tilted" by Christine and the Queens. 

 I discovered this thanks to The Great British Sewing Bee.  A small part - "I'm doing my face with magic marker" - was playing during the modelling of one of Raph's creations in series 7.

 A blast-from-the-past that I'm listening to as I type this is "I Wish I Cared" by a-ha.

𝄇𝄆

 And that's it.  I aim to be back by this time next week in some form or other.  Have a good week!

20 comments:

  1. We couldn't get into Star Trek: Discovery either. We paid for the streaming service specifically to catch the first season but we weren't really impressed with it. So we cancelled it after that. I really like your sketches! I've been sketching and sewing a lot lately. Please show us these sketches again if you continue to work on them and add shadowing or color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Discovery had a lot of promise, but the story really crashed and burned in the first season. The first half of season two was MUCH better, but that too went downhill in the latter half. Even Captain Pike couldn't save it. I'm kind of glad that I'm unable to subject myself to it anymore.
      Instead, I'm happy to immerse myself in the details and world-building from behind-the-scenes and fan sources.

      You've been sewing? Are you making and/or mending?

      Delete
    2. I'm working on a custom tree skirt. I started it before Christmas but ran out of the decorative thread I was using and couldn't get it until a couple of weeks ago. Now my very short deadline has become a long one, but I want to get it finished and move onto other projects that need attention.

      Delete
  2. No, I’m another disappointed with Discovery, and I keep having to cull streaming services - I have Netflix in my sites. Agreed - more sketches!
    Apologies for not posting this week, I am recovering from the latest Royal Mail stamp fiasco. I am in shock, and possibly out of pocket.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Netflix is in my sights, too - I haven't watched anything on it in what feels like weeks! I'm just waiting for the third season of The Umbrella Academy and then it might be bye-bye Netflix.

      You needn't apologise to me for not posting - look how terrible I've been lately! And what stamp fiasco? Oh, dear, perhaps I should take a look at the news now and then?

      Delete
  3. Apart from the obvious jokes his name lends itself to I'm a bit concerned that you would think Mr Mount is yummy....
    Can we visit you where you are? I can get in anywhere by pretending to be a therapy dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, he is beyond yummy! And he likes dogs.

      ...

      Don't you dare!

      Delete
  4. Gosh - that Christine and the Queens song was everywhere seven years ago! Good to know you're still keeping up with the current trends. Jx

    PS Everything else flew straight over my head, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bustles are still 'in' aren't they?

      :: adjusts bustle and attempts to sit down ::

      Delete
    2. Mercifully brief, indeed.

      *dodges bustle and exits*

      Delete
  5. The Boyfriend and I have been following Christine and the Queens for the past four years. If it's new to me, it's new! Just adore. As for your artwork... can't wait to see where you go from here. How wonderful to be so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems I've been going to all the wrong parties - or, just not going to parties - as I've totally missed out on Christine and the Queens until now.

      Thank you for your kind words about my rather rushed sketches.

      Delete
  6. Disembarking a yacht, I thought they were dogging in a layby, in an alien land far far away.

    It was Christine and The Queens who introduced me to Perfume Genius they did a song together on her album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell them to mind the bottles of piss...

      Ah, so your future husband has Christine to thank for the forthcoming years of matrimonial bliss!

      Delete
  7. Somehow I seem to have totally missed Christine and the Queens, along with Star Trek Discovery, but then again, I seem to have missed January of this year entirely! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The musical selections here are not in my universe...
    I feel I ought to be at least a little more up-to-date with blogging. But I have so much going on...think: oven needing constant upping or downing, pots on all burners and only one simmer-mat, wine needing to be uncorked to breathe_o0h! that reminds me, where did I put my glass this time...???????//
    What was I saying? Oh, yes! blogging.Or the not thereof.Just so hard to find time when I'm awake. And there's Rugby on telly today.
    Um...I might try tomorrow.
    And it might be worth checking your email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange that you should should bury THE most important item on the agenda in amongst everything else? Wine should always be first!

      And consider my email checked. Although, you already knew that didn't you ;)

      Delete
  9. So it is not quite your kind of tea, but nevertheless it could be interesting for you ?

    https://wdwnt.com/2019/08/concept-art-first-look-at-immersive-guest-transport-system-for-the-star-wars-hotel-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

    In fact the 2019 concept was finally boiled down to a kind of container ride :

    https://www.thedrive.com/news/44470/disneys-5000-star-wars-hotel-stay-includes-a-ride-in-this-box-truck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fascinating! Although, the final box-truck ride appears to be something akin to what one may find after disembarking an Infomaniac Airlines flight...

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?