Sunday 26 May 2024

Not the Aurora Borealis

 On Friday the 10th of May this year the Aurora Borealis was particularly spectacular over Great Britain (and other parts of the world) and no end of people witnessed its awesome show and captured photographic images for posterity.  I was not one of those people because I had no idea such an event was taking place until the next morning when it was too late.  Fortunately, it was scheduled* to put on an encore performance that night as well, although it wasn't expected to be quite so spectacular.  This performance suited me because I was to be at my sister's down the road for an evening of cards and gin with a couple of friends and my other sister, so by the time we finished, I could just step outside and see it all going on in the sky above.  Hooray!
 
 Except I didn't see it because the performance was cancelled!  Although I didn't find that out until we'd already staggered wandered down to the cliff top and stood around taking photos of the sky just in case we were too drunk (and in my case, too colourblind as well) to see it.  Apparently the cancellation was something to do with a curtain malfunction or blown light bulb or something according to the conductor of the Nightship (which appeared rather disconcertingly - and in a cloud of noxious fumes from its malfunctioning catlitter converter - right next to where I'd set up Camera & Tripod.  If I hadn't had that last G&T I'm sure I would have noticed the stop).  Bah! 
 
 Anyway, despite that disappointment, I managed to get something out of the experience: some fuzzy photos of a few of the brighter stars:


 The night air was a bit hazy, so these photos are not as clear as my previous efforts. 
 This is made all the more obvious by comparing poor Capella and Polaris - the brightest stars of their respective constellations, Auriga and Ursa Minor - with how they looked just over three years ago on a clear, cold April night
 

 Poor Polaris.  Not only has it been dimmed by the hazy sky, but it looks like someone's shot a hole through it's middle!
 On the right is how it looked three years ago.

 Oh, and other than embiggening them by 5000%, I have not tinkered with these photos at all.  These are how the stars look to Camera on a 30 second exposure - colours and all!
Deneb (Alpha Cygni)

Alioth (Epsilon Ursae Majoris)

Dubhe (Alpha Ursae Majoris)

Eltanin (Gamma Draconis)

Kochab (Beta Ursae Minoris)

And finally, that show-off, Vega (Alpha Lyrae)


 You can thank Ms Scarlet for this post as it was this post of hers which reminded me of the photos languishing inside Camera.



* Imagine me saying it, Melanie!

28 comments:

  1. I am a star!!!
    Meanwhile, 30 seconds is a long exposure. I keep meaning to use my proper camera on a tripod to capture the night sky - we have little light pollution here so it'd probably be worth my while to read through the camera instructions and find out how to do it.... though I think my window of productivity might be closing soon!
    Lovely bit of science, Mr Devine!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes, get your tripod out!

      In windows of productivity matters, I find that winter is the best time for taking night sky photos because I don't have to stay up late to do so. 5 or 6 pm is easily dark enough and I can be in bed by a reasonable time (i.e. 9pm). However it is usually too cold to be standing around fannying with the dial on Camera.
      Summer means staying up until gone 11pm! And fending off biting insects. And staying up until gone 11pm!!! Although, in summer, different constellations are visible. But still, 11pm +...

      Delete
    2. Miss Scarlet, I just attempted to leave a comment on your blog (May 30th) and, as is usual lately, it won't allow me to comment. Just wanted to let you know that I tried. Alas. I enjoyed your post and want to suggest Jo Brand as a role model if Miriam isn't up to the task.

      Delete
    3. Ms Mistress - Thank you! Jo Brand is an excellent choice of role model!
      Do you ever get to watch Taskmaster? If so, the series with Jo Brand is possibly the best!
      Sx

      Delete
    4. I've only watched the Taskmaster episodes in which Noel Fielding appeared. Thanks for letting me know about Jo's appearances on that show.

      I hope Mr. DeVice doesn't mind that we're going off-piste with this discussion!

      Delete
    5. Carry on.

      Oh, and Jon: Yes. I am.

      Delete
    6. I’m sure he won’t mind. I will have to reactivate my Blogger blog for your comments, I’m sure I could wangle something that works!
      Sx

      Delete
    7. Thank you, Mr. DeVice and Miss Scarlet.

      Delete
  2. "Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground."-President Theodore Roosevelt.
    I'm guessing that quote was meant for anyone who's had a nip of gin whilst stargazing so as to avoid ending up in the ditch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe it's called Space Lint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it eventually accumulates in one's belly button?

      Delete
  4. I'd always hoped to see the auroras, but as fate would have it seemingly everyone else around me saw and got pictures of it but me! I stepped out on the porch a few times hoping to catch them, but I just didn't have time nor energy to camp outside in hopes of a glimpse. Never mind the seasonal allergies and hungry bears! No pics of Proxima Centauri? She'd likely make a better showing for rum over gin anyways I suppose. Last night I made Mojitos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, sorry, no Proxima Centauri here - barely even any of the Centaurus constellation. It's a Southern Hemisphere star, so Dinah will be the best bet for photos. I wonder if a Mojito or two can persuade her?

      Delete
    2. Well, where I currently live is well above the Capricorn tropic line, so I miss a lot of night glitters. But the bloody aurora was all over the map this year! Nonogenarian Nannas went gaga at the swirling colours. Some folk this far North had never seen the Southern Lights.
      I didn't attempt any photos.

      Delete
    3. Ah well, A round of mojitos for all! If we drink enough, we might start seeing strange lights.

      Delete
  5. The whole damn night sky could light up around here, but we're in the midst of the annual Grey Gloom in SO. California! We do get a bit of sunlight and warmth for about 2 hours during the day, but until June we are stuck! Your photos are intriguing, sweetpea. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a friend in San Clemente and I've just checked the weather there - it's barely any warmer than it is here! And overcast, too. Although our "overcast" today meant torrential downpours as per.

      Delete
  6. I love the fact you can smudge a bit of leftover Vaseline over a lens and point it at any light anywhere, then give the resulting images a set of Eastern European Boy Band names. It's a skill. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "leftover" Vaseline implies a life I'm not currently living!

      Delete
    2. Start hanging round with an Eastern European Boy Band? Jx

      Delete
    3. As long as they don't mind being in bed by 10. Do you know any going spare?

      Delete
    4. What? With all that gyrating?

      Yes, they'll do!

      Delete
  7. I look to the heavens all the time... glad to see we're both a bit out of focus on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of Suzanne Vega the American singer with a high fringe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's something at least, Mitzi. You get a gold star!
      Or a blousy blue one like Vega itself!

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?