Saturday 24 May 2014

Ships of the Line calendar 2015 preview


 Now, I've just got to nip out for a bit, so I'll leave you in The Host's capable hands. I have no idea what he's got planned, but then I don't really care as I'm not going to be here!

~ ~ ~

 Right. With Witchface out of the picture, I can show you this: 

(click to embiggen - that goes for all the following pictures, too)
Star Trek: Ships of the Line calendar 2015 (front & back covers)


Oh, good grief!
 Quiet you! And what are you still doing here? Why didn't you bugger off with Witchface?
Someone had to keep an eye on you!
 Can't you keep yourself entertained with my SubConscious while I do this?
Oh, no! I'm not being saddled with the Wicked Witch of the Worst. Besides, I want to look at the pictures.
Fine! I'm off. I know when I'm not wanted. This looks like it's going to be dull anyway, and what does a witch need with a starship?

 Thank gods for that...

 Right. Where was I? Oh, yes. Starships!
 In a couple of months, next year's Star Trek: Ships of the Line calendar will be released by Universe Publishing. And like last year's fine example, this one is packed to the plasma vents with new and rarely seen Starfleet starships and space stations.

 
A separated Sovereign-class starship
and McCall-type shuttlecraft.
Klingon K't'inga's at DS9
Daedalus-class starships firing missiles
 
The Vesta-class USS Aventine
An early preview of the USS Demeter
I'm particularly excited to see John Eaves' painting of a Sovereign-class starship undergoing saucer-separation (possibly the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E). Some others of interest are a Luna-class ship (the USS Titan?) approaching a Watchtower-class space station, a moon-base attacking a small fleet of ships which includes what looks like a Sabre-class starship, a squadron of Klingon ships docked at Deep Space 9, and three Daedalus-class vessels during the Earth-Romulan War.


 While I feel we have been spoiled with such variety, I am a little disappointed that the beautiful Vesta-class USS Aventine does not make an appearance in this calendar, especially as it featured quite heavily in the recent novel series The Fall. And while I'm griping, I would have loved to have seen an image by Mark Rademaker; either Project Full Circle's Theophrastus-class USS Demeter, or the entire Full Circle fleet (which does include the aforementioned Vesta-class). Apparently, Mark was close to getting an entry into the 2015 calendar, but didn't have enough time to finish it. But just look at the unfinished version - Captivating!


"Search for Dilithium" Mark Rademaker's concept image featuring
the Merian-class starships USS Planck and USS Curie

 Well, that's it for now, although I'm toying with idea of a series of "Starship of the Month" posts, so don't go thinking that I've got this Star Trek stuff off my chest and that you'll never have to see the like again!
 

8 comments:

  1. I would prefer a fireman calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I don't think there are any firemen in Star Trek, MJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is Chris Pine in spandex? That's all I'm asking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry 'Petra. The best I can do is Karl Urban. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's not too shabby either. I suppose I might have to watch Into Darkness tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all NEW films, right, sugar? (I'm behind the times, so to speak.) xoxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to pass, as this calendar would clash dreadfully with my Emma Bridgewater crockery... and with Mr Beastie's soup stains.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Petra: So, how did you get on?

    Savvy: * hands over a time machine *

    Ms Scarlet: Oog, yes. We don't want chick pea soup over the lovely calendar.

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?