Saturday, 1 August 2026

A Royal Toilet

 Well, RHS Sandringham was an experience, but not one I'd necessarily repeat (unless my friend gets more free tickets next time).  I didn't see much of the gardens because of how busy it was and how they got lost amongst all the exhibitors (mainly stalls selling snacks and tat), and only a very few of those that I did get a better look at were of any interest.  (On the plus side, it was easy to get to, there was plenty of parking, and it wasn't too hot.)  As a result, I didn't get many photos, so this is not a photos-heavy post - and half of them are from my own gardens!
 
 First up, a couple of photos from the Floral Marquee: 
Salvias, including at centre stage, Jon's favourite: Amistad
 
 
A veritable flurry of fuchsias including a few familiar faces (mainly from Jon's & Madam A's), but I couldn't find any that looked like my little not-Dorothy (see previous post).
 
 
One of the few show gardens that I managed to get a half decent look at: 100 Sweet Summers by Kitti Kovacs.
 
 
I much preferred going round the back and inspecting the rear (ahem) where Brunnera macrophylla and geraniums filled the cracks.
 
 
Of course, I immediately thought of Ms Nations and her infamous toilet planter when I saw this (I neglected to take a photo though, so I nabbed this one from the website).
 
 

 I didn't come away from Sandringham empty handed.  Our first stop was the Floral Marquee in which I spied a lonely, slightly tatty bat flower for sale.  After much humming and hahing, I left it and made my way around the show.  Before leaving, we popped back in the marquee and, to my surprise and delight, the bat flower was still there, so I snapped it up!
 Which was the right thing to do as I discovered once I got home.  My little Tacca chantrieri (on the right in happier days) had carked it.  The rhizome had completely succumbed to rot, taking the shoot and root with it.
The Hanging Green Gate with an empty spot at the top where a suicidal spider plant used to be.  After finding it on the path below and putting it back and then finding it on the path again, I moved it to the stone bench where it seems happier.
 
 
Agapanthus "Royal Velvet" is one of the few blooming plants in the gardens now, but it will be accompanied by Eucomis comosa "Sparkling Burgundy" shortly (you can just make out a little "pineapple" flower spike coming up from the base of the dark red strappy leaves).
 
 
A royal close-up.
 
 
Up the allotment, these plums and gages are the only things doing well in the drought.
 
 
 Oh, before I forget: We had some sustained rain yesterday evening!  Not enough to call off the drought, but it'll save watering the garden for the next day or two, and one of the water butts is a third full!

12 comments:

  1. Did you bump into Frances "fat bum" Tophill, Arit "always looks odd in a frock" Anderson or Jamie "Wolf Boy" Butterworth when you were there? It was featured on Gardeners World last week!

    Your garden's still looking lush! - our Agapanthus "Stockholm" and "BlackJack" are almost over now, and with the continuing heat and hosepipe ban, the poor Fuchsias are suffering a bit. I'm embarking on another massive watering mission tomorrow... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I think all the GW stars - frocks and bums, too - had been and gone earlier in the week. I found out last night that a couple of my friends went on the same day I did. I can't believe I didn't see them either. I must have been wandering around with my eyes shut!

      My garden is looking less lush now. Although I'm watering the pots (and gate), everything else has been left so it's looking rather wizened and crispy...

      Delete
  2. Jon's not the only one with a "bit of a crush" on those Salvias! Another frost last night and "Amistad" is still there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bizarrely, when Amistad first became available on the market, I remember the nurseries cosseting it, keeping it in their greenhouses until the frosts were over. It turns out, it's actually able to deal with temps down to -5C (and in our experience, even lower than that)!

      It's still wise to take cuttings in autumn, just in case, though. Hence the reason we now have six pots of it. Jx

      Delete
    2. I know you're on the other side of the world, Dinah, but it's still odd to hear of frosts in August. I hope they don't become severe.

      My Amistad has become swamped by a giant lavender. It's still green under there and I'm hoping that it will put forth more flowers when the lavender's spent flowers get chopped back and the rain returns.

      Delete
  3. I do like your hanging green gate, very attractive - and the loo! You have to know what you're doing to make that fit into the garden - obviously Ms Nations does, and did know.
    Finally, your plums are looking exquisite - well somebody had to say it.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased with my Green Gate this year. Once set up, it doesn't need much molly-coddling but it does need a lot of water. There's also a passion flower under there somewhere, but it seems hesitant to push through all the fuchsias and kiwis!

      And thank you for remarking on my plums, Ms Scarlet. I am very surprised they are so bountiful what with the extended dry spell!

      Delete
  4. I would love the flower show. What a shame about the crowds that would ruin it for me, too. Your gardens look beautiful. Glad you got at least a little rain. I miss rain this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I go to the show again, I'll plan a route through it and not bimble along wherever my friends go. The crowds are a problem, though.
      I hope you don't have to wait too long before you get some rain too.

      Delete
    2. We have a long wait for rain. This is dry season.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about the crowds and how difficult it is to see stuff at an RHS Flower Show. I did Chelsea once and as amazing as it was I would never do it again.
    Fab photos and your garden is looking rather fab too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite happy to watch RHS Chelsea on TV - the crowds there look mental! Besides, I don't think I'd be able to decide on a suitable frock-n-hat combo for the occasion!

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?