Sunday 1 October 2023

Garden Photos Event Countdown


 
D A N G E R !

the House of
I N F O M A N I A C
Garden Photos Event
 
WILL DETONATE GO OFF IN T-MINUS 10 MINUTES 30 DAYS!
 
 
 Or something less dramatic.
 
 So, anyway, yes, it'll soon be Garden Photos Event time so I hope you've all been taking photos of how your expansive grounds | bijou courtyard | overgrown wilderness | rampant houseplants | tasteful city garden | impenetrable jungle | potted paradise [delete as applicable] has grown over the year, as I'll want your carefully curated selections - along with verbose or terse captions - in my in-box by Saturday 28th October, please.  
 If you've managed to capture on film any visting non-domestic fauna (however big or small) to your garden please include those photos as well, as the (entirely voluntary) theme this year is Wildlife.  More information about this can be found in the previous GPE reminder, here.
 And remember also to include a photo or two of a particularly spooky plant in your collection - or, failing that, a rather more mundane plant which has been snapped at an odd angle/close-up/while drunk - for the GPE preview Terrifying Triffidery on the 31st.
 This blog's gmail address for sending your photos & captions into is in my profile on top of the Sideboard over there.  Or, if you have the Host's personal hotmail address, you can use that instead.
 
 Right.  Let's have a look at some photos from Allotment Device to get you in the mood, shall we?  
 
Some of the various allotment visitors/permanent residents
(and, yes, the common black diving beetle is in a bath)
 
These gorgeous foxgloves are from the semi-abandoned allotment next to mine  [June]
(mine is just beyond the pallets and shed where the grass ends)

Allotment HQ festooned with elderflower, honeysuckle, and loganberries  [June]

Nigella, aka Love-in-a-Mist  [July]

My lone sunflower - all the rest got eaten/marmalised as seedlings  [July]

Crocosmia "Lucifer"  [August]

Echinops (globe thistle)  [August]

My unusable compost heap.  Because it has a honeybee nest in it!  [August]

Ripening, thornless blackberries  [August]

I think my greengage tree is taking a breather after last year's efforts - this is one of the very few, non-wizened, not-yet-wasp-got fruits  [August]

This rather lacklustre (and somewhat obvious) Triffid is actually from Hexenhäusli Device Gardens rather than the allotment  [August]
 
☙❧
 
 For anyone new to this/with only a few houseplants/concerned about your gardening abilities (etc.) who may be wondering if you can take part: Yes, you can!  As you can see by looking back through previous Garden Photos Events (see my handy GPE Page) pretty much anything goes - and the more the merrier! 
 After all, in the exasperated tone of the GPE originator herself, The Very Mistress
 
May I remind you that The Garden Photos Event is NOT a competition!

 If you have any questions, thoughts, or ideas about the GPE, please sound off in the comments. 

34 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it (as always)!

    My, your allotment has been productive, hasn't it? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's produced a LOT of weeds this year. And blackberries & raspberries, actually.
      There have been fewer loganberries this year than last, and the apples are also not up to last year's volumes (although that's because they had a good pruning). Last year's not-horrid pears have reverted to type and are horrid once more, the plums disappeared, and those greengages are best not mentioned.

      But other than that... ;)

      Delete
    2. I've never grown them, but I recall something on either Gardeners World or Beechgrove where they said that particular family of fruits (which probably includes greengages) tends to have a "year off". So you may have a bumper yield in 2024! Jx

      Delete
  2. Sorting through my pix even as I type, dahhhhling! Your allotment has inspired me to see if I can get assigned place in the Community Garden here! (not to be confused with a burial plot.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to winning the competition.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's about time you won something, Ms Scarlet. Although, now you are mantel-less, where will you put your trophy?

      Delete
    2. Oh, and, um... May I remind you that the Garden Photos Event is NOT a competition!

      Delete
  4. I better get my ass in gear and send in some...I will be away at the end of October. Or maybe I should just send in, or in addition to, the pictures, another view of my water platter cakes again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I ADORED your long Echinop thistle! Does it prick very hard?

      Delete
    2. I'm sure I speak for the audience when I say that the addition of your lily pads amongst your other flora again will be appreciated.

      As for my long Echinops, yes it's very hard - and has numerous pricks!

      Delete
  5. I'm on it! I have often read about Love in a Mist, but I don't think I've ever seen a picture of one, they're beautiful. You can claim the event is not a competition all you want to; everyone will keep LX's memory alive by continuing to ask if they have won yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get the email link in your profile to work. Could you please email me and I will then hopefully be able to reply? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never mind, it was just my phone not cooperating with email. I corrected the problem and sent you my entry.

    Did I win yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you've sorted it!

      And, yes! After all, Ms Scarlet hasn't got anything to put the trophy on so it's no good her winning.

      Delete
  8. It took me a long time to figure out why I couldn't leave a comment on your post (or Jon's either when I tried his blog.) Apparently, I had to enable third-party cookies. Does anyone know if I should disable third-party cookies after I've left a comment, and then turn them back off again to be safe? I haven't a clue. And now I forget what I wanted to say in this comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to turn my third party cookies off when I’m not blogging, but my memory also gets in a muddle, and they tend to stay enabled!
      Sx

      Delete
    2. Cross-site tracking protection is the main culprit - loads of commenters on loads of blogs I follow, on both Blogger and Wordpress have reported problems. It seems to have been introduced as a default on all browsers, presumably as a safety precaution, but it's a pain the the arse.

      You just need to click the little shield (in Firefox) or the padlock (in Edge; no idea about Chrome nor Mac browsers) to the left of the "https" in the address bar, and switch it off - but it is site-by-site. Not sure what happens if you switch off third-party cookies altogether! Jx

      Delete
    3. I'm sure that what you wanted to say before being thwarted by all that technical jiggery-pokery (thank you Ms Scarlet and Jon!), Very Mistress, was:
      "May I remind you that the Garden Photos Event is NOT a contest!"

      Delete
  9. Miss Scarlet and Jon: Thanks for your input. At least I can now identify the problem and fix it if need be. One more thing to be grumpy about! I'm glad there are Infomaniac Bitches to help ease my blog commenting quanderies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure LX paved the way for the continuing appointment of a 'Personal I.T. Consultant to The Very Mistress'. Or two!

      Delete
    2. I'm having another gin. Maybe a dip in the Gin-cuzzi.....

      I haven't a clue to what you all are talking about.

      Delete
    3. Hmmmmmmm. Is that your long Echinop thistle I feel poking me?

      Delete
  10. Putting the dang in danger ... photograph, ach ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one will do, dear Mago.

      Do you still have any of those poor, dried-up, wizened plants, by the way?

      Delete
    2. Now that you ask me ... I vaguely remember "plant 1" and "plant 2". I'll snap something.

      Delete
    3. Oh, gods, those poor things must be either mummified or completely dessicated by now?!

      Delete
  11. Me! Me! I want to win the competition! Or can I have a harsh scolding please? I love to live dangerously. Surely you can do better than that tap on the wrist Ms Scarlet got? I'll have my pixs to you in advance since I now know what goes into organizing such events.

    Why did you have to mention, LX? ..sniff sniff.. Where's my serving boy? Mummy needs a rum and coke!

    Sorry, I'm in a weird mood. Arguing with another writer in my head despicable wench that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ms Scarlet must have caught me in a particularly lenient mood. What I should have said to her is as I'm going to say to you: There is no competition to win. The Infomaniac Garden Photos Event is not, I repeat NOT a contest! How many more times?!? (note the italics - and the boldening - that how you know it's harsh ;) )

      Now, did your seriving boy bring you a rum & coke? And is he still around to pour some more as I'd quite like one, too...

      Delete
    2. Mr. DeVice, I feel your pain. Now you know what it was like for me to host this event for so many years. Ha! You're doing an admirable job, I must say.

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?