Sunday 8 January 2023

Moss Walk for Melanie

A moss island on the Madam's Lane bridge
  What with one thing or another (which I shall elaborate on in a future post), December passed by in a bit of a blur.  This meant that I managed to forget about Melanie's Nature Led photo submission (the theme for which was 'Nature at Rest').  Oops!

 So, as the skies were blue, this morning I headed out with Camera to get some photos for this month's theme: Moss.  And here are the results:

Exposed tree roots near the radar station

Moss lining the edge of the Paston Way path leading up past the radar station

Lichen & moss on a gnarled tree beside Sand Lane (off Hungry Hill towards the Shrieking Pits)

Another Sand Lane tree

Close up of the lichen

The Shrieking Pits oak (last seen here, I think)

Close up of the lower right branch

Another view

The Gate to Nowhere (also seen in the Shrieking Pits link above)

A decomposing tree trunk near the Gate to Nowhere

Close up of some Furyhill moss (the capsules are a bit out-of-focus though.  Sorry)

Through the Furyhill plantation to Frogshall

Bridge over the River Mun in Frogshall

Catkins! 

 I haven't got time to try and work out what types of moss I've snapped at the mo, but I'll leave these links here for anyone who is interested :

(I might even use them myself when I find the time & inclination)
 
 For anyone who'd like to take part in Melanie's Moss Mania, photo submissions must be in by the end of this month - click here for more details.  Happy moss hunting!

22 comments:

  1. It's always fascinated me ever since I was a wee small child. The Microverse, indeed. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close up, some moss really does look like forests of trees. We need an Antman and/or Wasp suit to go exploring it properly.

      Delete
    2. I'd rather Paul Rudd's suit (or indeed any part) than Evangeline Lilly's. Jx

      Delete
    3. Me too, Jon! I love macrophotography for showing us an unexpected view of seemingly ordinary things.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Moss is nature's Shag carpet, for shagging, of course!

      Delete
    2. Whereas, I'm at a loss.
      No moss here now, but 6 months might show a different picture.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful snaps!!! I have always wanted to lie in a bed of soft moss. It is so fascinating seeing it up close. And I love the walking trails in those wooded areas Mr DeVice. Perhaps if I ever make it there for one of your famous hikes, we can find a very secluded nook, and discuss how nature works among other things.

    Yes, Melanie. December did go by in a fury didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall look out for such a secluded spot, Mistress Maddie. If we're really lucky, perhaps there'll be a demonstration, as well as the discussion?

      Delete
    2. Wellllllll....I always enjoyed in school a good show and tell day.

      Delete
  4. Moss is ideal for bedding down for a few hours, provided it hasn't rained in a few days.

    December did go by fast, Mistress Maddie. It always does and I can't say I'm thrilled by having a December birthday that often gets overlooked except as a date for whence I must get packages mailed. I feel like us December babies (including Savannah) get cheated, but we've learned not to be too bitter about it.

    I was born on the 12th day of the 12th month in the 12th lunar Calander year. I really feel like I should be doing something more magical with my life instead of being an anxiety-ridden creative twat. Sorry, January is not my best month, which why the healing nature of moss will be most beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, IDV, I'm honored to get a whole post spoiling me in the healing beauty of moss! I'm so flattered! Thank you for thinking of me! There should be no guilt on anyone that December was a washout. I knew it might happen, being the busy month that it is and I think I pulled a nice post together regardless, so I'm happy.

    The close-up shots are my favorite!!!!!! Especially the third one titled: "Moss lining the edge of the Paston Way path leading up past the radar station."

    That bridge over the creek at Frogshall looks slippery. (Nice of the noble frogs of England to get their own Hall. I like the imagery this inspires!)

    Thank you very much, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have moss pictures! I remembered to take some!!!
    But they are not as extensive, or as attractive as yours. For some reason my brain is still focussing on fungi and now that that deadline has gone I keep spotting it everywhere as if to highlight my abject failure to send Melanie a decent shot.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Scarlet, I'll take unsolicited fungi and moss pictures anytime... Don't let that mean little voice in your head beat you up about missing a voluntary submission request!

      Delete
  7. As it's too not and dry for much mossiness around here, can I cheat a little and post some lichen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Moss and Lichens before Jan 31st please.

      Delete
    2. The minute I posted about it being too dry...Qld has had some serious rain! But I'll see what I can do...

      Delete
  8. I shall lay my head down and drift away in golden slumbers... sigh. One with nature, am I. Velvet, so fine. This rock. That rock. I claim them as mine. Oh, but to rest, but to sleep, so divine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have I missed a submission already??? Sweet Mary Sunshine, it's only January 11th and I'm already behind! (I knew my timeliness would be short-lived *sad face*) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! Your timeliness is fine! Moss and lichens photos are due by Jan 31st, please, if you would like to participate.

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?