Sunday 24 September 2017

Grasping at straws...

... or, pencil crayons, even.

Ooh! Shiny!  Just call me "Magpie"
  One might suspect that as I've been absent from the blog for a week, I would have been very busy doing very busy and important things?  Oh, the important busyness I could have been doing!
  Sadly, I haven't been importantly busy, or even busily important. No, I've been tasked with the taking-to and collecting-from school of The Little Witch all week.  And then keeping her entertained for a couple of hours until Indescribable comes to collect her after work.  This is what happens when I make it known that I have a couple of weeks off work.  You'd think I'd've learned by now...
  In between the taking-to and collecting-from school, I have been doing load after load of their washing (as well as all my own chores, and those of The Parents', too).  In fact, having done a couple of loads yesterday, I had thought that I'd have today to myself as Indescribable (and her spawn) couldn't possibly have generated another machine-load of washing so soon.  How wrong I was.  I made myself a cup of coffee and took a piece of cake from the tin (half of which was devoured by Indescribable and The Little Witch yesterday), then sat down in front of the Demon Box and opened up the blog.  And guess who turned up on the doorstep?
  Armed with a bag of damp bed linen smelling of wee, it was Indescribable of course.  She barged in muttering about The Little Witch's "accident" and that she needed the sheets and duvet cover clean and dry by this evening.  Because of course she did.*

  Anyway, while I'm waiting for the washing machine to finish its infernal cycle and rinse the wee into another dimension or realm, I thought I'd have another go at sharing a Very Important Find, and afterwards, flitting through your blogs to catch up with everything that's been going on.
  So. The Very Important Find:  Inexcuseable was having a clear-out of her bottomless chest (a wooden box, not a part of her anatomy) as she was going to give it to The Parents to put all their hoarded junk in, when she discovered a couple of tins full of pencil crayons.  My pencil crayons.  From when I was at art school.  I was very pleased as I'd planned to get on with some arty-type stuff during my time off work.  I'd even become spell-bound by some metallic water-colour pencil crayons in the stationery shop, and had spent far more money than necessary on them - especially as I didn't have a clear idea of what I was going to use them for.  I still don't, but don't they look good all lined up in order?

The grey horizontal pencil crayons, and the black vertical ones are the ones that were languishing in the chest.



::

  Drat!  The sun's come out and it looks like it's going to be a nice day.  While this is marvellous for the drying of bed linen and other washing, it doesn't bode well for the use of pencil crayons at my desk.  Indoors. 

  Sigh...


* How Indescribable and her husband (and/or any parents) manage to deal with all this... parenting, day in, day out, I don't know?  Especially as they're currently living in a caravan while their new home is being built (hence bringing their washing to me to do).  
 

17 comments:

  1. I often wonder how parents cope. Black mamba, that's what gets them through the day, at least here.
    I love the way your family move around houses periodically - just like the royal family - but isn't there a laundrette to hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a laundrette. Me (and to a lesser extent, our other sister, Inexcuseable)!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great to find a long-lost treasure like that! They're wonderful to behold, even if there is no immediate project for them.

    PS: Are those Klingon color names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what or who I was channelling while scrawling with the metallics? If they are Klingon, I shall expect royalty cheques pretty sharpish if I see them on Star Trek: Discovery (which airs tomorrow)!

      Delete
  3. Ha Ha!! Welcome to my world!! But hopefully, after 5 months, my Widow Twankey episode is now at an end, and I have my washing machine to myself.... if it still works.
    Coloured pencils! Welcome to my world!! I have no idea what to do with mine either.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Widow Twankey? Oh, dear. You didn't have Christopher Biggins to stay, did you?
      Perhaps we should have a coloured pencil amnesty?

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic find! Who knows? Maybe you'll see something on your outdoors excursions that'll inspire you to create!

    My dream goal/reward should I ever find time off in the next few months: Escape to the wilds and camp out for at least a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, inspiration struck last night while I was in the bath - nothing rude, I hasten to add. The pattern of condensation on one of the wall tiles gave me an idea that I might just follow up on. Or not, if the amnesty goes ahead...

      I hope you do find a week to yourself soon. Peace and quiet, and surrounded by nature - hopefully when she's in a better mood and not flinging storms and hurricanes around.

      Delete
  5. You are a proper little treasure, you are!

    I've got several sets of coloured pencils, some of them water colour.And I still fall back on my beloved Aquarelles.Gods! I've had them for ,what, 20 years? I should do some more sketching...The last sketch i did was some ducks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was a proper treasure, I'd moan less and do more, but I think that would entail some sort of lobotomy...

      And what delightful ducks they were, too! Actually, let's forget the amnesty and do some sketching. What do you say, Ms Scarlet?

      Delete
    2. P.S Even though I seem to also collect coloured pencils, I still want a set of Prisma! Though I'll probably return to my 20 year old Aquarells as well!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. All this talk of Aquarelles is making me covet some, too. But, as I seem to be forever thwarted at doing some colouring-in, I suppose I'd better not fork out for pencils I won't use...

      Delete
  6. I am inspired! Not that I have any fancy pencils or crayons, but I do have laundry to do. *sigh* The things remotely creative nearby are 2 fountain pens with no ink, a Mont Blanc ballpoint pen, and a dried out black Sharpie. *double sigh* xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find any more dried out pens, you could have a game of pick-up-sticks r Jenga?

      Delete
  7. Well......my lands. If Ms.Moorecock doesn't step up her duties as social director I may hire you out right. Of course I'd see to it your paid....handsomely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure would be all mine - I'm sure I wouldn't have to deal with wee-moistened sheets at the casa. Although, there is the issue of the Gin Soaked Boy...

      Delete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?