Thursday, 1 October 2026

Prepare yourselves: The GPE is only a month away!

Yes, the
2026
I N F O M A N I A C
Garden Photos Event
 
                 commences on 1st November (after Terrifying Triffidery at Hallowe'en), so you only have one month to curate the photos you've been snapping during your gardening season/s (which you've all been doing, of course), select the ones you'd like to feature here (be they one or two of a prized pot plant, or an array of all and sundry), and email them in to me so I (well, The Host) can prepare your posts for publishing throughout November.  Details at the end of this post.
 
 To get your sap flowing, here are some photos of some plants blooming in the Hexenhäusli Device gardens right now (I took these photos this evening):
 
Salvia 'Amistad'
 
Salvia 'Cherry Lips'
 
Salvia 'Plum Crazy'
 
Lilyturf (Liriope muscari)
 
Fuchsia 'Paula Jane' (formerly known as 'Next-to-the-Swing')
 
Foxglove Digitalis hybrida 'Rising Phoenix'
 
Fuchsia 'Eva Boerg' (unless it isn't)
 
A very weedy Hydrangea (thanks to months without rain and exceedingly hot temperatures).
 
The Buddleias are still going (after a lot of dead-heading)
 
A second flush of Mallow are brightening up the Grand Paysho
 
I don't know the variety, but this rose smells divine!
 
 
 As always, the Infomaniac Garden Photos Event is open to all - you don't need to be an Infomaniac Bitch or a regular reader/commenter here at Inexplicable Device, you don't even need a blog!  All you need is a photo or photos of some sort of flora that you've taken care of this past year (or at least not tried to actively kill...), whether it's an expansive garden, a pot-filled balcony, or an indoor plant or two.
 For those of you with plant corpses on your hands, perhaps you'd like to photograph them (the plant corpses, not your hands...) and submit them to the Terrifying Triffidery Exhibition which will be held on 31st October, just before the main event kicks off.  Also acceptable - nay, encouraged - are bizarre plants, unnerving close-ups, filtered frights, and those blurry, odd-angled monstrosities that are the result of being drunk in charge of a camera.
 
 Now, I must bring up the topic of deadlines.  Over the years I have realised it's pointless to impose deadlines as some of you don't know the meaning of the word.  Or pretend not to.
 Anyway, The Host would appreciate it if most of you could get your photos submitted within the last week of October.  The few of you who scoff at such an idea will have until the following week to submit your entries.  I'm not going to tell you who's in which group - you know who you are! 
 
 This blog's email address can be found in my profile at the top of the Sideboard on the right.  For those of you with The Host's personal email address, please use that instead.
 
 We're very much looking forward to seeing what your green fingers have brought forth this year! 

8 comments:

  1. I think we may have - ahem - one or two photos of the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers to sort through for the event! I'll see what I can do...

    As always, your garden photos are faboo! It's a better time for blooms right now (salvias and fuchsias in particular) than the height of summer - especially with the heatwaves we have had this year.

    As for "terrifying", The Madam's just discovered an entire bowl/pot of primulas devastated by vine weevils, so the battle is on to get that sorted (poison!) or else we may not have such a great show for much longer. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I better get my ass in gear and send in my selections. I may need you to come and stroke my, huh, laziness into gear and get me peppy to get started handsome.

    I loved the salvia in this post. I'm feeling it. That deep purple of Halloween. All stunning pictures, but save some handsome. Never deliver the money shot till everyone has bought the tickets first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to self: get yer finger out and get the garden ready! (By that, I mean prune S.Amistad. Again!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What talented fingers you have. You’re really satisfying those flowers.

    I promise to submit an entry this year although I couldn’t possibly top my last entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is "Cherry Lips" your drag name?

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?