Friday 31 October 2014

Boo!


I smiled grimly as the tinder was lit.

- - -

The witch exploded. Internal organs festooned the branches of the tree, glistening slickly in the light of the pallid yellow moon. Every breath was held. The only sounds were from the globules of blood hitting the dry ground beneath the dripping oak.

When the sun rose in the morning, the tree was devoid of innards. Instead, it bristled with crows. Each one sleek and glossy and well fed. That evening, as the people returned to their homes from their toil and errands and affairs, they were watched. A pair of bright black eyes were fixated on each and every one of them. The pair watching the Baron clouded over momentarily and blinked...

There was silence.

- - -

Do you know where your ancestors were 600 years ago? I do.

Do you know what they were doing? To me?

They will rue the day. 

I insinuate myself within the circuitry of the machine.

Ahhhhh... 

My signal spreads throughout the web.

Now I touch all.

- - -

That reflection in your screen,

That shadow on your wall,

The shiver down your spine and the breath upon your neck.

Oh, don't turn around. I don't need to see your face.


That creak, that groan, it's not the floorboards warping in the heat.

Those noises aren't from the house settling.

That sound like voices whispering when the washing machine turns.

That tick-tock, clink-clank from the water pipes.

It's not them. It's me. I'm seeping through your house.


Can you see that figure, lurking in the window's reflected shadows?

Can you see that staring, dead-eyed face, formed from folds of cloth?

I can see you. I can see all of you.


When you're in bed, get under the covers and don't put your head out.

Don't bother with the light, you'll just be able to see me more clearly.

If you don't look, you'll never know what to be scared of.

It's for the best.


Do you feel that lightest of touches on the back of your neck?

I'm right behind you.


And I don't know if I'll ever go away...


.

6 comments:

  1. I am so pleased that I didn't read this before going to bed last night!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...especially after watching that film of yours.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops. My ancestors were likely there in the front row ... toasting marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Norma & Ms Scarlet: Worry ye not. Someone only took out a restraining order. I'm not allowed to haunt anywhere for six months!

    von LX: Dammit! If I'd known there were going to be toasted marshmallows I never would have exploded!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm seeping through your house."
    Oh Good... It's only yo darling...
    I was about to call the plumber as I thought we had a leaky sewer pipe...

    ReplyDelete

Tickle my fancy, why don't you?